Patient Comments: Kidney Stones - Causes

What caused your kidney stones?

A Doctor's View on Kidney Stone Causes

Read the Comment by Melissa Conrad Stöppler, MD

Causes of kidney stones can come from certain foods we eat, not drinking enough fluids, as a result from a urinary tract infection, and metabolic disorders. Certain medical conditions may put you at a higher risk of having kidney stones. Conditions and diseases like gout, thyroid disorders, diabetes, high blood pressure, high calcium in the urine, people with IBD, medications, and consuming a diet high in salt, consuming excessive sugary foods or drinks, and taking too many vitamin D supplements. Read the entire Doctor's View

Comment from: k0long7, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: December 02

I went to the emergency room with pain in my side/back and lower abdomen. I also had vomiting, cold sweats and dizziness. They gave me medicine for the pain and a CT scan to determine if I still had stones in my kidneys. I still had 2 kidney stones (one in each kidney) and 1 in my bladder. I had passed one 2 days prior and one when I had the urinary test. I live on an island that I get constant exercise and due to not drinking enough water, I ended up with 5 kidney stones. I still have 2 small kidney stones and am on pain medication.

Comment from: Sandy, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: June 19

I had kidney stone surgery recently. My stones were made of calcium phosphate. I am looking for a diet to help. I want to know what to do or eat to prevent this from ever happening to me again. I suspect my diet played a role in causing my kidney stones.

Kidney Stones - Symptoms Question: What were the symptoms and signs of your kidney stone?
Kidney Stones - Treatment Question: How were your kidney stones treated?
Kidney Stones Question: What caused your kidney stones?