Patient Comments: Kidney Stones - Symptoms

For kidney stones, what were the symptoms and signs you experienced?

Comment from: believer, 35-44 Female (Caregiver) Published: October 06

I started with back pains fever and vomiting. I ended up in hospital with both an infection and stone in kidney. It was the most painful experience I had. Now I have a stent on and I am awaiting further treatment and surgery from my doctor. My advice please drink more water it helps in the long run.

Comment from: 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: October 06

I had a kidney stone for about two and a half weeks before I had surgery, and a stint put in my bladder. It's been six days after the surgery and three days after I've gotten the stint out. I'm still experiencing pain as if I still have a kidney stone. I'm starting to wonder if the doctor forgot or missed one. The only thing helping when the pain comes is sitting in a tub with hot water.

Comment from: diane, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: September 10

I went to the ER yesterday with unbearable pain on my right side and back. I had kidney stones last year, so I knew the symptoms. I was told it was 5.8ml in size and I was sent home with pain medicine and Flomax and was told to strain my urine, it has been 24 hours now and still have not passed anything. I have not had any pain since last night. I have an appointment with the urologist on Friday. Last year my kidney stone was 8 mL. and was blocking my kidney, so I ended up having lithotripsy. I don't understand why I keep getting stones.

Comment from: soldbylarry, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: September 10

I am 61 years old. I had my first kidney stone approximately 1 year ago. I had no pain or discomfort but did have renal trauma about 3 years ago. The stone developed on the bad kidney side and the only reason I suspected a problem was I would piss blood after heavy physical activity. The doctor did a CT scan and found it. I had the sound wave procedure and had no problem or peeing blood until just recently. The doctor did an ultrasound with no result so he did another CT scan. The scan found it easily. He also had an X-ray done before the new procedure and the X-ray also saw the stone. It's cheaper to do the x-ray.

Comment from: ggrosey, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: September 10

I had excruciating lower abdominal pain and frequent urge to urinate. The pain is similar if not worse than the height of labor delivering a child. Avoid kidney stones if at all possible.

Comment from: Female Published: August 12

I have had kidney stone problems since I was 14. It was in the most painful experience in my life. I was rushed to the emergency room holding on to my right side and given Demerol. When I was able to talk and regain normal functions, they gave me a CT scan. Sure enough, I had two kidney stones. About three years later, after not having any further problems, I was pregnant with my daughter when I got kidney stones again. I got my medications and was sent on my way. Well, about two weeks ago, I got kidney stones again. This time the symptoms of the pain included vomiting and shaking. I couldn't even speak. This time, in addition to kidney stones, I had a urinary tract infection.

Published: July 28

I have increased sensation of need to urinate past a few weeks. Blood pressure increased from 140/82 avg to 165/96 average. Emotional changes - wound up, wired, quick to change moods, experience occasional flushing, and sweats. This AM sudden pain in lower left back, unaffected by cold/heat, dry heaves, flush, and unsettled stomach - diarrhea type feeling

Published: July 09

I experienced pain in my left groin and the doctor thought that I had a hernia. A CT scan showed two small stones in my left groin and testicle. I've started treatment and am better now.

Kidney Stones - Causes Question: Did your doctor indicate what he or she thought caused your kidney stones?
Kidney Stones - Symptoms Question: What were the symptoms and signs of your kidney stone?
Kidney Stones - Treatment Question: How were your kidney stones treated?
Kidney Stones - Prevention Question: What prevention measures do you use to avoid getting a kidney stone?