Patient Comments: Kidney Infection - Treatments

What treatment was effective for your kidney infection?

Comment from: TLN, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: March 19

I started with a stomach ache, nausea and vomiting; then the next day felt fine. The third day vomiting again. On the fourth day I went to the doctor who said I have an elevated white count possibly a kidney infection or stone. They sent me home with Cipro after a shot of Rocephin. I went back yesterday, I still have an elevated white count. They gave me Flagyl, and also pain medications and nausea medications. The last 3 days I have flank pain, initially the pain was in the top of my belly now it is in lower abdomen and the left flank. I have had urinary tract infections (UTIs) for as long as I can remember but this kidney thing is awful.

Comment from: Karina, 35-44 Female (Caregiver) Published: June 04

My husband started having high grade fever (102 plus) for 3 straight days and night, we went to the ER and they found kidney stones and thus a UTI. The 1st Dr. gave him Ciproflaxin but after 4 days: NO RESULTS. He cont. to have 103-104 fever constantly and so this morning we checked in to the ER again and they still saw kidney stones, no abnormalities in blood or urine (other than infection) so this Dr. prescribed Cephalexin. Never had to deal with so many frequent visits to the ER due to this UTI induced fever, UTI can be tenacious. He has been so much in pain in the last week, has had fever with chills and body tremors/shakiness, nausea on and on. I hope this antibiotic "Cephalexin" works (cross fingers)! (not to add he has diabetes and HBP).

Comment from: gypsy, 55-64 Female (Caregiver) Published: December 27

I found out that taking baths is a very easy way to get this. If I do not disinfect our bath tub every time immediately before taking a bath, even if the tub has already been cleaned and I have taken a shower first. I am likely to get a UTI. Another way is douching too often; it tends to kill the good bacteria, which I also do sometimes. For me Cipero works well without the problem of the yeast infection that usually goes along with being on a strong antibiotic. Remember, Disinfect your tub first before you take that long relaxing bath or you will wish you had. Hope this helps.

Comment from: Jes P, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: March 13

I had been training for a marathon the last few weeks, and the day after my schedules "hard" work out, I woke up with major back pain: couldn't rotate my hips forward, sideways, backwards... Then that following Friday night my back pain eased but moved to my right side. It felt almost as if I had pulled a muscle that night without knowing it. So I went to bed, and woke up at 4 a.m. in sheer anguish. My right abdomen ached, my entire back was hurting again, and I felt like something was ripping on my inner right side. Went to the ER two hours later and was quickly diagnosed with a kidney infection, caused by a UTI that I never knew I had! They prescribed me ciprofloxacin, ondansetron, oxycodone, and then directed me to take an inserted antibiotic 2 days later. The only reactions I've had since the ER visit is an all-over body itch due to the oxy, and a yeast infection from the inserted antibiotic.

Comment from: MsGina22, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: April 05

I had a UTI/kidney infection last December. I didn't really have any symptoms the day before. But, I woke up at 7am and had UNBELIEVABLE stomach pain that went all the way around to my lower back. My Cousin was sick with the flu at the time, so my aunt and uncle thought it was just the flu. But, no way, I know what the flu feels like, it wasn't that. Then, I started throwing up. I couldn't keep anything down, not even water. I knew I had to go to the hospital, so I called 911. I had severe dehydration and my blood pressure was pretty low. So, I had a pretty serious infection, even after not having symptoms. Man, I do not ever want another kidney infection!

Comment from: dsalyers, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: July 12

I had a urinary tract infection that turned into infected kidney stones and then the infection went to my blood stream. I had to go to the ER at the hospital and had emergency surgery to put a stent in and then 5 days later I had my kidney stones taken out because they were so infected and when I got home from the hospital they said I had bacterial infection in my blood stream. If I would have waited an hour to go to the ER I would have been dead. I was lucky. Then I got my stent out a week later after the kidney stones were out.

Kidney Infection - Symptoms Question: Please describe your kidney infection symptoms.
Kidney Infection - Causes Question: What was the cause of your kidney infection?
Kidney Infection - In Children Question: What risk factors for kidney infection did your child have?