Patient Comments: Kidney Infection - Treatments

What treatment was effective for your kidney infection?

Comment from: ivyrobin, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: April 14

The kidney infection started one morning with pain in my right flank. It was a sore-ish feeling that became worse with walking and bending forward. It wasn't too bad so I didn't think about it much and went on with my day. I went to the gym, and after running about a mile I started feeling a flu-like sickness throughout my whole body. It went away after a couple hours of rest. I had to babysit overnight that evening. After putting the kids to bed, I made myself something to eat but then started feeling very nauseous and opted for a ginger-ale instead. I laid down and hoped it would pass, but it got worse throughout the night. The flu-like feeling came back, I had chills, and could not sleep. I felt the most fatigued and weak I had ever been in my entire life. I had to get the kids ready for school in the morning, and I honestly have no idea how I was able to get through it. I had to sit down many times between getting them dressed and making their breakfast. When their dad came home, he offered me Tylenol so that I would be able to drive myself home. I waited about an hour and felt a little better and drove myself home. I immediately took a nap, which lasted about 2 hours. I woke up feeling a little better. I had planned on going to the beach with my boyfriend and I was lucky my boyfriend's mom was there. Right before we were about to leave, she noticed how pale I looked and how I was not acting like my normal self. She insisted that I stay, and I didn't have the energy to refuse. About 30 minutes after deciding to lay down again, the pain got much, much worse. The flank pain was unbearable, and the body sickness was so bad that I was crying in pain. They took me to the emergency room (ER). The pain just kept getting worse throughout the wait. I was in the worst pain of my life. I felt like I was going to die. Finally, after being called in, I was put on IV and given pain medications. I had a fever of 103. I got a CT scan and x-ray. I was told I had a very high white blood cell count, and I was extremely dehydrated. Apparently my appendix was slightly enlarged, so they thought I had appendicitis. The surgery was scheduled. Luckily another doctor had a second opinion, and it was concluded that I had a kidney infection. Still, they wanted me to stay overnight to monitor me. During the night, my fever went up to 105, which caused alarm, but I don't have a lot of memory of that night. In the morning I was told that they wanted me to stay for at least 3 more days. I told them I could not stay that long because I had school and work. So they sent me home with pain medications and antibiotics. That night was horrible. I was in extreme pain again, went back to the ER, put on stronger pain medications, and then sent home again, only to be in severe pain again. I just waited it out. After about a day I finally started to feel better. After 3 more days I was able to go to school again. Very scary and painful experience.

Comment from: TLN, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: March 19

I started with a stomach ache, nausea and vomiting; then the next day felt fine. The third day vomiting again. On the fourth day I went to the doctor who said I have an elevated white count possibly a kidney infection or stone. They sent me home with Cipro after a shot of Rocephin. I went back yesterday, I still have an elevated white count. They gave me Flagyl, and also pain medications and nausea medications. The last 3 days I have flank pain, initially the pain was in the top of my belly now it is in lower abdomen and the left flank. I have had urinary tract infections (UTIs) for as long as I can remember but this kidney thing is awful.

Comment from: Karina, 35-44 Female (Caregiver) Published: June 04

My husband started having high grade fever (102 plus) for 3 straight days and night, we went to the ER and they found kidney stones and thus a UTI. The 1st Dr. gave him Ciproflaxin but after 4 days: NO RESULTS. He cont. to have 103-104 fever constantly and so this morning we checked in to the ER again and they still saw kidney stones, no abnormalities in blood or urine (other than infection) so this Dr. prescribed Cephalexin. Never had to deal with so many frequent visits to the ER due to this UTI induced fever, UTI can be tenacious. He has been so much in pain in the last week, has had fever with chills and body tremors/shakiness, nausea on and on. I hope this antibiotic "Cephalexin" works (cross fingers)! (not to add he has diabetes and HBP).

Comment from: gypsy, 55-64 Female (Caregiver) Published: December 27

I found out that taking baths is a very easy way to get this. If I do not disinfect our bath tub every time immediately before taking a bath, even if the tub has already been cleaned and I have taken a shower first. I am likely to get a UTI. Another way is douching too often; it tends to kill the good bacteria, which I also do sometimes. For me Cipero works well without the problem of the yeast infection that usually goes along with being on a strong antibiotic. Remember, Disinfect your tub first before you take that long relaxing bath or you will wish you had. Hope this helps.

Kidney Infection - Symptoms Question: Please describe your kidney infection symptoms.
Kidney Infection - Causes Question: What was the cause of your kidney infection?
Kidney Infection - In Children Question: What risk factors for kidney infection did your child have?