Patient Comments: Kidney Infection - Treatments

What treatment was effective for your kidney infection?

Comment from: gypsy, 55-64 Female (Caregiver) Published: December 27

I found out that taking baths is a very easy way to get this. If I do not disinfect our bath tub every time immediately before taking a bath, even if the tub has already been cleaned and I have taken a shower first. I am likely to get a UTI. Another way is douching too often; it tends to kill the good bacteria, which I also do sometimes. For me Cipero works well without the problem of the yeast infection that usually goes along with being on a strong antibiotic. Remember, Disinfect your tub first before you take that long relaxing bath or you will wish you had. Hope this helps.

Comment from: Jes P, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: March 13

I had been training for a marathon the last few weeks, and the day after my schedules "hard" work out, I woke up with major back pain: couldn't rotate my hips forward, sideways, backwards... Then that following Friday night my back pain eased but moved to my right side. It felt almost as if I had pulled a muscle that night without knowing it. So I went to bed, and woke up at 4 a.m. in sheer anguish. My right abdomen ached, my entire back was hurting again, and I felt like something was ripping on my inner right side. Went to the ER two hours later and was quickly diagnosed with a kidney infection, caused by a UTI that I never knew I had! They prescribed me ciprofloxacin, ondansetron, oxycodone, and then directed me to take an inserted antibiotic 2 days later. The only reactions I've had since the ER visit is an all-over body itch due to the oxy, and a yeast infection from the inserted antibiotic.

Comment from: dsalyers, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: July 12

I had a urinary tract infection that turned into infected kidney stones and then the infection went to my blood stream. I had to go to the ER at the hospital and had emergency surgery to put a stent in and then 5 days later I had my kidney stones taken out because they were so infected and when I got home from the hospital they said I had bacterial infection in my blood stream. If I would have waited an hour to go to the ER I would have been dead. I was lucky. Then I got my stent out a week later after the kidney stones were out.

Comment from: MsGina22, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: April 05

I had a UTI/kidney infection last December. I didn't really have any symptoms the day before. But, I woke up at 7am and had UNBELIEVABLE stomach pain that went all the way around to my lower back. My Cousin was sick with the flu at the time, so my aunt and uncle thought it was just the flu. But, no way, I know what the flu feels like, it wasn't that. Then, I started throwing up. I couldn't keep anything down, not even water. I knew I had to go to the hospital, so I called 911. I had severe dehydration and my blood pressure was pretty low. So, I had a pretty serious infection, even after not having symptoms. Man, I do not ever want another kidney infection!

Comment from: Beth B, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 14

I had a cold but after the cold symptoms went away I still had a fever of 100-103 for 10 days. I thought it was the flu so I avoided the doctor. I got worse and I had shivering chills and pain all over. Went to urgent care and sure enough, kidney infection. I've had them before but I knew it because my back and hip hurt so bad I could barely walk. Got Cipro and fever was gone by next day. Go to the doctor if you think you might have a kidney infections! They never go away on their own.

Comment from: Holly, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: January 25

Eventually the doctors got it right and prescribed cefalexin but only after being in agony for 2 weeks. Was prescribed other antibiotics but there was no follow up and were not working properly.

Kidney Infection - Symptoms Question: Please describe your kidney infection symptoms.
Kidney Infection - Causes Question: What was the cause of your kidney infection?
Kidney Infection - In Children Question: What risk factors for kidney infection did your child have?