Patient Comments: Kidney Infection - Treatments

What treatment was effective for your kidney infection?

Comment from: Beth B, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 14

I had a cold but after the cold symptoms went away I still had a fever of 100-103 for 10 days. I thought it was the flu so I avoided the doctor. I got worse and I had shivering chills and pain all over. Went to urgent care and sure enough, kidney infection. I've had them before but I knew it because my back and hip hurt so bad I could barely walk. Got Cipro and fever was gone by next day. Go to the doctor if you think you might have a kidney infections! They never go away on their own.

Comment from: Holly, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: January 25

Eventually the doctors got it right and prescribed cefalexin but only after being in agony for 2 weeks. Was prescribed other antibiotics but there was no follow up and were not working properly.

Comment from: maria, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 12

All my life I have suffered from UTIs, in the last 4 years I've had two kidney infections, but now I have been having left flank pain off and on since.

Comment from: Mommyknowsbest83, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: May 02

I had back pain about 3 years ago. I went to the ER with back pain. After much testing the doctor tells me I have pre renal failure. I was told to take a heavy dose of prednisone 40mgs daily. It eventually cleared up after a visit to a Nephrologist. Prednisone really messed up my female cycle. Now for about two weeks I have been having a dull ache in the left of my back into my groin and down my leg in the thigh. Starting today it is sharp constant pain. Like I have been punched in my kidney. It still continues to my groin into my thigh. I'm worried but I have no insurance because I was laid off from my job collecting a small amount of unemployment and can't afford much. I want to be taken seriously if I go but it's a toss-up as to the care I receive because of that.

Comment from: bullfunkie2007, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: March 29

I urinate 4 or 5 times every night, I am seeing a urologist and I am taking Flomax and Sanctura, but I still have the problem. I have no leakeage or back pain. The doctor did a stenoscopy with a camera and I saw it, he said my prostate looks good and my bladder looks good, but I don't know why I continue to go urinate 4 or 5 times every night. An MRI revealed that there is a cyst on one of my kidneys, but the urologist says not to worry.

Comment from: Barbie72, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: January 11

Sunday night I woke up with lower back pain. So I assumed I just slept wrong. So I went to work for three more days same thing lower back pain so I assumed I had the UTI that I get yearly. This time I noticed it didn't burn when I would pee and it was strange as I drink entirely too much water and my pee was not clear it had a yellowish tint. So I finally went to the doctor and came up with a kidney infection. Well I am on two types of meds for now three days but my entire lower half is swollen I look huge. I just pray this medicine works as again I have had UTI's before but not this type of feeling. My lower back feels strange and I can feel the kidneys flicker if that makes any sense? Well hope the meds work.

Kidney Infection - Symptoms Question: Please describe your kidney infection symptoms.
Kidney Infection - Causes Question: What was the cause of your kidney infection?
Kidney Infection - In Children Question: What risk factors for kidney infection did your child have?