Patient Comments: Kidney Infection - Symptoms

Please describe your kidney infection symptoms.

Comment from: kevin, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: June 05

I've been in an out of the doctor's for 1 year with kidney pains. I thought it was a hernia or ulcer but all three ultrasounds showed nothing, no blood in urine (yet), and dark cloudy color. I've asked for cameras to be shoved in me and a CAT scan and MRI, but doctors seem to want to do opposite of what you want. This is severe, flank pains, groin pains, thigh pains, chills, fever, uncontrollable sweats, I mean unreal. I need help and don't know what to do. I'm in pain every day, depressed, no energy or motivation, stressed, distracted at work, and I just graduated as an environmental technologist.

Comment from: Sandy, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 23

I have had regular (urinary tract infections (UTIs) since I was a child and the symptoms usually improve with trimethoprim. I have felt really unwell for the past month or so. Each urinalysis has been clear bar a bit of blood, the first MSU (midstream specimen of urine) test showed something (not sure what, I will find out in the morning), I did a repeat and it was clear. I am on my second course of antibiotics and the symptoms aren"t improving. I have frequency, some pain and some flank pain but definitely bearable, not excruciating by any means. I had a renal ultrasound today which showed my kidneys are much enlarged. I am a little nauseas and have pretty awful headaches and am finding it pretty hard to concentrate at work. Definitely heading back to the doctors in the morning, would go up the hospital but I know they would just send me home.

Comment from: WIborn, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: March 31

My kidney infection symptoms started about 6 days ago. It started with an unbearable, piercing pain in my right side, kind of where my kidney is, but eventually took over the whole right flank. I hated driving because I felt delirious and thought I would crash. At first I thought it was just the flu. It hurt a little to urinate, I was vomiting, had a constant fever, and my whole body ached. I passed the flank pain on as possible gas and the deliriousness as from the fever. Finally on day 3 after I noticed my pee, no matter how much water I drank, was not its normal color (has an orangish/brownish tint to it) and suffered from three nights of the worst chills and night sweats of my life, I went to see a doctor. Sure enough, it was a kidney infection. As long as I keep myself pumped full of Tylenol the fever and shakes stay away, but if I don"t take it on time it returns with a vengeance. I was told the antibiotic will take a few days to really kick in so I just lay around and waited, popping Tylenol like its candy. The vomiting and sweats still aren"t gone. That's still controlling me. I will say, that aside from internal bleeding I"ve had before, this has got to be the worst physical pain I"ve ever been in.

Comment from: Tracie, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: March 03

I have had 2 previous severe kidney infections over the last couple of years, with sepsis (Infection in the blood) as well. Both times I was hospitalized for 5 days and administered IV antibiotics and fluids. I am in the midst of another. At the moment, I have severe, constant pain in abdomen, as well as lower back, flank pain, frequent urination and elevated temperature. Urinary analysis showed up clean, but as my doctor told me, that doesn"t mean I don"t have UTI (urinary tract infection), or kidney infection. I have been given antibiotics and they will be monitoring my condition. As I know that feeling of the pain in my flank area and abdomen, I am at the doctor"s the minute I have these signs. I can"t stress enough to listen to your body, and act as soon as possible, as it can be life threatening if left untreated. Sepsis is fatal in 50% of cases said my specialist, and needs immediate IV antibiotics. You may not have all the symptoms, but best to be checked out, even if symptoms are mild.

Comment from: sherrylp, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 27

I had back pain, then right front side pain. I thought it was appendicitis. I went to the emergency room; after CT scan and urine test, diagnosis was kidney infection again! I had IV and antibiotics and was sent home with Cipro. Four days later, I made emergency room calls, I was resistant to Cipro; now am on Macrobid. More symptoms came while the Cipro wasn't working: chills, dizziness, fever, hot flashes and sleeping a lot. This is my 5th serious infection in 2 years with less serious ones also. Two different doctors and no results as to what is going on. I am very depressed this round.

Kidney Infection - Treatments Question: What treatment was effective for your kidney infection?
Kidney Infection - Causes Question: What was the cause of your kidney infection?
Kidney Infection - In Children Question: What risk factors for kidney infection did your child have?