Patient Comments: Kidney Infection - Symptoms

Please describe your kidney infection symptoms.

Comment from: luckeymommy, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: June 26

I had three minor UTI's when I was pregnant with my 18 month old daughter and I am very familiar with the symptoms. (Peeing frequently, burning while urinating...etc.). Over the past month I have been getting severe cramps on my left side, but no other symptoms of a UTI. Being a single mom, I don't have much time to get to the doctor. Well, yesterday I woke up with severe pains in my left flank. Thinking I had slept wrong and pulled a muscle, I treated it with vapor rub, and took some Aleve. It didn't treated my problem. After getting one hour of sleep all night, I finally went to the ER and found out it was a kidney infection, not muscle problems. It's been six hours since my first dose of meds. I am feeling a little nauseous, but it is well worth it. Get into the hospital with any kind of unusual symptoms. They only get worse without treatment.

Comment from: mum, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: June 26

I have had pain on my left side but it seems to move around, sometimes it is very severe. It makes me wince suddenly. I have had it on and off for about a year. I took urine into the clinic. I had to start antibiotics straight away, but I was only given 10 pills 2 a day for 5 days will this clear it. I have had rods inserted in my back 3 months ago, and had an infection in the hospital. I had to stay for 5 weeks on IV's. Then 6 weeks after being on antibiotics I came home, but still the pain has persisted on my left side. I also have problems now with my left hip, waiting to see consultant about that. I am so fed up with it. I have no energy; I cannot walk very far without my crutches, now I am in and out of bed all night. Will this trimethoprim clear my infection in 5 days.

Comment from: sweets87, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: June 12

I have had several kidney infections and once hospitalized for three days. I now believe I have a serious kidney infection again, but am a single mom with not much money and I can't afford to really go to a doctor. It hit me very suddenly just three days ago and I have literally been in excruciating pain. My left kidney is throbbing and its making it very difficult to stand at times and it hurts worse than ever to breathe deep. It feels like its stretching and going to rip. The pain is horrific. I feel very faint at times and extremely nauseous. Breathing and standing is becoming more difficult for me. I can no longer pick up my son. I don't think I have a fever and it doesn't hurt to pee, but I have been peeing more frequently. My left side of my abdomen is now starting to hurt beyond bad as well. I never had the excruciating pain when I would breathe deep. Does anyone have suggestions or has anyone experienced the difficulty breathing?.

Comment from: mandaJ, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: May 26

I started having symptoms about a week ago. It started with night sweets and just not feeling myself during the day. The third day I did have blood in my urine and knew there was something going on. By the fourth day I was having unbearable pain in my left flank area, I went to urgent care, they took a urine sample and told me it was probably kidney stones, but they wouldn't know for 3 more days while they had my urine cultured. I was prescribed pain pills and went home, waited three more days in extreme pain with vomiting. The results of my culture came back negative? So I went to the ER because my symptoms were not going away, they diagnosed me immediately with a severe kidney infection. After 3 days on antibiotics. I am finally starting to feel better, hoping this never comes back. If anyone has suggestions in preventing future kidney infections aside from drinking lots of water and cranberry Please, please let me know.

Comment from: 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: May 26

A few years back I had high fever, dull back pain on my right side and vomiting a lot. I went to the doctor and they sent me to the hospital due to a kidney infection. I was in the hospital for 2 weeks because I had really high fever and vomited a lot and nothing seems to be helping. Finally, 2 days without fever I was able to go home. 4 years later I was getting UTIs all the time they ran test after test to find out what might be causing them, but nothing would come up. Finally, I guess one medicine worked and I did not get one for awhile. I know I have one again so I started to drink lots of water and started to take AZO which helps with the pain. I haven't had any fever, but I do have this pain in my back and all my other symptoms have disappeared. Has anyone ever just had pain in their back? Also, to the person who say's they don't know if they should go to the doctor. From the sounds of your symptoms you should go to the doctor. If you let it get worse you could end up in the hospital like me and that's going to cost you a lot more. I had my symptoms for 2 days only before I went and because I did not get on medication right away it got really bad. Sorry to say this but there is no way around it. You have to see a doctor if it's gotten to your kidney's.

Comment from: Sophia, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: May 12

It started as a urinary infection (cystitis).The doctor gave me medication and I had a urinary sample sent for testing. The doctor said that she was going to let me know if I needed different medication, as soon as she gets the results from the test. She didn't, so after a few days I started having severe pains in the right side of my belly and my back. I started loosing my appetite and I had the fever and chills. I went to a different doctor, at the same medical center, to find out that according to the results of the urine test I was taking the wrong medication all this time, causing the infection to move to the kidney!

Kidney Infection - Treatments Question: What treatment was effective for your kidney infection?
Kidney Infection - Causes Question: What was the cause of your kidney infection?
Kidney Infection - In Children Question: What risk factors for kidney infection did your child have?