Patient Comments: Kidney Infection - Symptoms

Please describe your kidney infection symptoms.

Comment from: 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: June 29

I believe I had a UTI in February of this year, in which I was treated with Bacterium. But, come May of this year, I started feeling the same symptoms again. Dizziness, headaches, some marked confusion in concentration, shaking, sweating at times, chills at times and dull pain or discomfort in the lower back area. So, I had a refill on the Bacterium, so I refilled and starting taking again for 5-7 days. Well, I was drinking fluids, but not enough. I ended up in emergency for just not feeling well and feeling like I wanted to faint on two occasions. The doctors told me I was dehydrated and severely fatigued. All urine and blood tests came back pristine! I still had the antibiotic Bacterium in my system. A week and half later or two, it again started. I went to my family doctor and was told I had a Kidney infection and treated with Levaquin. I sure hope this works. I do feel a little better, but recovery is slow. It's been day 4 for me. I do have more energy and don't have the back pain, shaking, headaches or confusion. I still have some chills and tiredness. I assume it takes time. I have a 7 days regime of meds to do yet.

Comment from: teenagersmom, 13-18 Female (Caregiver) Published: June 26

Speaking for my 17 year old daughter. She felt tired, loss of appetite, dizziness and intermittent nausea for several weeks and had lost about 10 pounds without trying. Other symptoms were headache, anxiety, feeling hot and cold. She had a swollen lymph node and was treated with an antiviral. Because she was also going through intense examinations at school we weren't exactly sure what was stress, what was illness. Two days ago she began to have flu like symptoms. We had done blood work shortly after she got sick for the other long term symptoms but thought she was now fighting off a virus. She had pain on the left side of her stomach, under her rib cage. Fever went up to 102, but would go down okay with ibuprofen or Tylenol. Extreme fatigue, headaches, sleeping all the time, changed between feeling very cold and very hot. She had no typical UTI symptoms, burning or significant increase in urination. Urine test revealed possible UTI and doctor finally called it as a kidney infection. She's on antibiotics now.

Comment from: luckeymommy, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: June 26

I had three minor UTI's when I was pregnant with my 18 month old daughter and I am very familiar with the symptoms. (Peeing frequently, burning while urinating...etc.). Over the past month I have been getting severe cramps on my left side, but no other symptoms of a UTI. Being a single mom, I don't have much time to get to the doctor. Well, yesterday I woke up with severe pains in my left flank. Thinking I had slept wrong and pulled a muscle, I treated it with vapor rub, and took some Aleve. It didn't treated my problem. After getting one hour of sleep all night, I finally went to the ER and found out it was a kidney infection, not muscle problems. It's been six hours since my first dose of meds. I am feeling a little nauseous, but it is well worth it. Get into the hospital with any kind of unusual symptoms. They only get worse without treatment.

Comment from: mum, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: June 26

I have had pain on my left side but it seems to move around, sometimes it is very severe. It makes me wince suddenly. I have had it on and off for about a year. I took urine into the clinic. I had to start antibiotics straight away, but I was only given 10 pills 2 a day for 5 days will this clear it. I have had rods inserted in my back 3 months ago, and had an infection in the hospital. I had to stay for 5 weeks on IV's. Then 6 weeks after being on antibiotics I came home, but still the pain has persisted on my left side. I also have problems now with my left hip, waiting to see consultant about that. I am so fed up with it. I have no energy; I cannot walk very far without my crutches, now I am in and out of bed all night. Will this trimethoprim clear my infection in 5 days.

Comment from: sweets87, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: June 12

I have had several kidney infections and once hospitalized for three days. I now believe I have a serious kidney infection again, but am a single mom with not much money and I can't afford to really go to a doctor. It hit me very suddenly just three days ago and I have literally been in excruciating pain. My left kidney is throbbing and its making it very difficult to stand at times and it hurts worse than ever to breathe deep. It feels like its stretching and going to rip. The pain is horrific. I feel very faint at times and extremely nauseous. Breathing and standing is becoming more difficult for me. I can no longer pick up my son. I don't think I have a fever and it doesn't hurt to pee, but I have been peeing more frequently. My left side of my abdomen is now starting to hurt beyond bad as well. I never had the excruciating pain when I would breathe deep. Does anyone have suggestions or has anyone experienced the difficulty breathing?.

Comment from: mandaJ, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: May 26

I started having symptoms about a week ago. It started with night sweets and just not feeling myself during the day. The third day I did have blood in my urine and knew there was something going on. By the fourth day I was having unbearable pain in my left flank area, I went to urgent care, they took a urine sample and told me it was probably kidney stones, but they wouldn't know for 3 more days while they had my urine cultured. I was prescribed pain pills and went home, waited three more days in extreme pain with vomiting. The results of my culture came back negative? So I went to the ER because my symptoms were not going away, they diagnosed me immediately with a severe kidney infection. After 3 days on antibiotics. I am finally starting to feel better, hoping this never comes back. If anyone has suggestions in preventing future kidney infections aside from drinking lots of water and cranberry Please, please let me know.

Kidney Infection - Treatments Question: What treatment was effective for your kidney infection?
Kidney Infection - Causes Question: What was the cause of your kidney infection?
Kidney Infection - In Children Question: What risk factors for kidney infection did your child have?