Patient Comments: Kidney Infection - Symptoms

Please describe your kidney infection symptoms.

Comment from: Jen, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: June 22

Monday I started getting pain in my lower back and well as pain under my rib cage. I have not had any problems when I use the bathroom but I have been nauseous. It is now Wednesday and the pain in my back is horrible. I have not been running a fever or anything. I am not sure what to do.

Comment from: Patsy, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: June 09

I have had pain in my lower back for the past four weeks. My Doctor has asked me for three urine samples and has submitted them to a Laboratory. After the first report which showed a small amount of blood in my urine, he prescribed a tablet containing sulphur. When I had completed the entire prescription, another urine sample indicated protein in my urine. I was prescribed Ranciproflox. I completed the prescription, but still have the pain.

Comment from: Heather, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: June 09

I have had 4 kidney infections in the past year. I don't understand why. I wipe from front to back, I drink tons of water in a day. I even take cranberry pills daily to help. But they keep coming. I get a fever, nausea and my back is in extreme pain. It's the same every time. My back are where my kidneys are is also extremely sore and hard as a rock.

Comment from: Magdelynne, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: June 09

I am a 53 year old female with fibromyalgia. Because I live with chronic pain I don't pay close attention to pains. I had low energy Weds til Friday with mild nausea. I did note cloudy urine and made mental note to self to drink more water! Friday night had a coughing attack out of the blue which exhausted me and caused chest pain. Have had increase in hot flashes too. I went to bed early. Felt general malaise all day Saturday with light-handedness. While cooking dinner Saturday, became terribly nauseous and dizzy, went to bed. Somewhere in all this I became aware that I had UTI/bladder pain and symptoms (of increased urination) so Sunday began drinking plain cranberry juice. Here it is Monday morning and I still feel awful, I am at work, and wondering if I should go see my doctor to rule out bladder/kidney infection.

Comment from: tikya, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: June 08

I have been experiencing numbness in the whole left leg when I needed to urinate. I don't feel the urge that I need to go the bath room, instead I feel numbness and that's the time I need to go to the bathroom. I have no fever or anything is, just my sciatic nerve is being numb and I have some uncomfortable feeling in the left leg. I urinate very little as well.

Published: June 08

It was a week after a laparoscopic procure. I started to experience severe back pain (low back pain) and vagina bleeding. At first I thought it was related to the procedure, but 4 days later the pain was still there. On the 5th day I went to urgent care, after a urinalysis they said I had a kidney infection. These symptoms were different for a UTI from previous ones. I still think the bacteria might have been introduced to my bladder during catheterization for my laparoscopic procedure.

Comment from: 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: June 05

I had a mild UTI that I self-treated with lots of water and unsweetened cranberry juice, and believed that I was successful, as my symptoms had abated. About a week later, those symptoms (burning during urination, frequent urges) came back, and I also had pain and tenderness in my right lower back and side, and was sweating a bit too much for the current weather. I really didn't feel that bad and almost didn't see a doctor! I was glad that I did when they told me that if I let it go much longer I might have needed IV antibiotics. My doctor also told me that cranberry juice is good for reducing symptoms of a UTI, but that it does not act as an antibacterial, so really, it just masks the problem. Next time I get a UTI I go straight to my health care professional.

Comment from: 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: May 29

I was in a lot of pain around my lower chest/rib cage. I thought I must have a chest infection, but couldn't understand how because I had no cough or other chest symptoms. I also went from feeling fine to being almost unable to stand with fever and flu like symptoms within about 2-3 hours. It turned out to be a kidney infection.

Kidney Infection - Treatments Question: What treatment was effective for your kidney infection?
Kidney Infection - Causes Question: What was the cause of your kidney infection?
Kidney Infection - In Children Question: What risk factors for kidney infection did your child have?