Patient Comments: Kidney Infection - Symptoms

Please describe your kidney infection symptoms.

Comment from: rachelblynn, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: October 08

About two weeks ago I started having painful/burning urination. I also noticed that my urine had a very strong odor. I have had several urinary tract infections (UTIs) in the past and have always taken Ado, over the counter medication for them, which has always been successful in the past. There are only 6 doses in each pack. By last night, I was on my third pack. Out of nowhere I started having pain in my lower right abdomen. By morning, the pain radiated all the way around my side, to my back. Moving my left leg increased the pain. I lay on a heating pad and took ibuprofen. By 9 a.m. I was in excruciating pain. I saw my doctor. He said that I waited an excessively long time before contacting him. He prescribed nitrofurantoin mono/mac 100mg, 1 capsule twice daily and phenazopyridine 100mg, 1 tablet 3 times daily. Due to my lack of getting treatment sooner, I now have a fever, runny/clogged nose, achy body, shivering regardless of temperature, and extreme fatigue. If you think you may have a UTI or kidney infection, seek medical care immediately so it doesn't progress into something far worse. I have a husband and four young children. Had I listened to my body two weeks ago and taken better care of myself, I wouldn't be useless to them right now.

Comment from: Nancy, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 17

I have urinary tract infection (UTI) every month. I go to the bathroom before and after sex. I also wipe correctly. I am getting concerned and have a doctor appointment on Thursday to see if I have kidney infection; mostly curious.

Comment from: Penelope, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: January 05

I have had urinary tract infections (UTIs) since my 20s. All along, doctors would test and say they couldn't find anything to cause the pain, fever, shivering, blood in the urine, flu like symptoms. They didn't prescribe antibiotics because there was no evidence of infection. About 10 years ago, I was on vacation and the familiar symptoms returned. The only doctor for miles around turned out to be a podiatrist. He had a 'Grey's Anatomy' and a PDR and he treated the whole town with those 2 books. He said that I should buy Bactrim. And, I got better. The next time the symptoms appeared, I began taking the Bactrim. I didn't have to go through the endless hours of pain and fever that I normally had to do to get an appointment with my doctor, and then I suspected she would just tell me that there was no infection and send me home with Prozac. I couldn't argue that I wasn't depressed. But I was depressed due to the UTI symptoms. I rarely got any treatment for that.

Comment from: aly18, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: October 21

It started with a lower back pain, I couldn't even walk; that's how bad it was. I started getting fever and my stomach started getting bloated. When I would sit down and when I would want to stand, oh man, that pain was the worst pain of my life. Once you start getting kidney infections you really need to be careful.

Comment from: BUTTERFLY, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: August 15

I have intense lower back and side pain along with frequent urination. Urinalysis discovered bacteria and blood in urine.

Comment from: Roxy, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: June 25

I have been urinating in a very mustard color when I wake up in the morning and it does not get any lighter. I feel pain on my left side front going back and overall I feel too tired and not normal. I just want to know how to treat it and get rid of these kidney infection symptoms that are starting to worry me.

Comment from: frustratedpatient, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: June 20

I have blood in the urine, pain in the lower back, and weakness in legs due to kidney infection. Pelvic examination already done by gynecologist. I had recent surgery for removal of polyp in uterus, which was benign.

Kidney Infection - Treatments Question: What treatment was effective for your kidney infection?
Kidney Infection - Causes Question: What was the cause of your kidney infection?
Kidney Infection - In Children Question: What risk factors for kidney infection did your child have?