Patient Comments: Kidney Infection - Symptoms

Please describe your kidney infection symptoms.

Comment from: wktx, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: April 14

At first, I thought I had strained my lower back but, after three days of resting, it only worsened. The pain was mostly on my left side. However, I felt it all the way across my lower flank. It worsened upon sitting or bending. It wasn't until the doctor took a urine sample that I found out it was a kidney infection.

Comment from: 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: November 01

My symptoms are bad pain on the left side and back and feeling unwell.

Comment from: Precious6, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 17

What kinds of symptoms do people have before going to the doctor or ER for treatment? I'm very tired and have fatigue, puffiness around the eyes, lower back pain, and nausea and vomiting.

Comment from: 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 06

Fifteen days post percutaneous kidney biopsy. Have had continued back pain, developed nausea, chills, fatigue, no fever. Lab performed post procedure, low iron etc. no mention of UTI. Called doctor about the symptoms and was told sounds like a UTI and was prescribed an antibiotic for seven days. Don't feel too bad during the day, but at night start feeling bad, nausea, chills etc.

Comment from: aah, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: July 06

A week ago I knew I had a UTI. I didn't go to the doctor as I have had them before and if I stopped drinking soda the UTI would go away. It's been over a week. I went to Urgent Care due to my doctor not able to get me in. He prescribed Cipro. I have vomited, urine is orange, and my body now aches all over. Before I was on the meds I felt okay just burned when I went to the restroom and had to go frequently. Has anyone else had this experience? Is this normal or is it not the Cipro causing this?

Comment from: 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: June 29

I have several kidney infections in my lifetime, starting when I was about six years. I remember being hospitalized when I was young. This one started with back pain and vomiting, and temp of 103. My prescription is gone as of today. Should I go back in to doctor and have it checked or just trust that it is gone? I had a gum infection prior and was on three different rounds of antibiotics.

Comment from: spiffy, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: June 26

When I had kidney infection about a month ago I had every one of the symptoms described, nausea, tiredness, ridiculously painful back pain, etc. I was prescribed Cipro and was told to take it twice a day till every pill was gone. It took a long time till the pain was gone. But once I broke my fever by drinking hot green tea with lemon and laying in a blanket for twenty-four hours most of the pain was gone. I felt fully better about two days before all of the pills were gone. I wasn't prescribed any pain pills so I just took Tylenol and used thermacare heat wraps.

Comment from: Joyce, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: June 22

My symptoms are severe headache, sore eyeballs, neck stiff and sore, dizzy, sick at my stomach after I eat, chills running over me even when I am not hot or cold. I went to the doctor and he found a bladder infection, said it was a whopper of an infection. However, I have no bladder infection symptoms and no fever. I am starting Bactrum today. Could it be something beside a bladder infection.

Comment from: 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: June 22

My back is killing me and I can't get comfortable. I lay down and sit and its also hard to walk, my backs feels arched and hurts constantly.

Kidney Infection - Treatments Question: What treatment was effective for your kidney infection?
Kidney Infection - Causes Question: What was the cause of your kidney infection?
Kidney Infection - In Children Question: What risk factors for kidney infection did your child have?