Patient Comments: Kidney Infection - Symptoms

Please describe your kidney infection symptoms.

Comment from: aly18, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: October 21

It started with a lower back pain, I couldn't even walk; that's how bad it was. I started getting fever and my stomach started getting bloated. When I would sit down and when I would want to stand, oh man, that pain was the worst pain of my life. Once you start getting kidney infections you really need to be careful.

Comment from: BUTTERFLY, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: August 15

I have intense lower back and side pain along with frequent urination. Urinalysis discovered bacteria and blood in urine.

Comment from: Roxy, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: June 25

I have been urinating in a very mustard color when I wake up in the morning and it does not get any lighter. I feel pain on my left side front going back and overall I feel too tired and not normal. I just want to know how to treat it and get rid of these kidney infection symptoms that are starting to worry me.

Comment from: frustratedpatient, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: June 20

I have blood in the urine, pain in the lower back, and weakness in legs due to kidney infection. Pelvic examination already done by gynecologist. I had recent surgery for removal of polyp in uterus, which was benign.

Comment from: debbiej, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: May 30

I started having pain on my side and back on Saturday with blood in urine. Also I had lots of gas. I called my doctor and he said sounds like a urinary tract infection. I have no other symptoms, no burning or urgency to pee. I also have lack of appetite. He put me on Cipro.

Comment from: tasha, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: March 13

Kidney infections are no joke, I near died! I thought it was a really bad flu I had and took ibuprofen; they would help and I took them for 3 days and I literally couldn't walk. The ibuprofen made my stomach bleed. When you have an infection like that get it treated, don't wait get the right medications, for at the moment I've sore side, back and neck, that's straining my head and my bones are sore and tired.

Comment from: sc, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: October 08

I have a kidney infection now. I had no warning of infection just a dull ache under my left rib cage round to my back. Then during the night I got hot and cold sweats, severe shaking, headache, body aching, stiff neck, sore eyes, vomiting, and heavier breathing. The pain is unbearable, sometimes hard to walk, and I get shooting pains up my left side when sitting up or bending. Doctors gave me antibiotics but 2 days later nothing has improved and I'm still feeling the same. The doctor told me I have a bad kidney infection but this is the worst pain I've ever felt. I've been drinking plenty of cranberry juice and barely water as advised by the doctor.

Comment from: thepoo2, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: July 06

I had been feeling fine with a slight ache in my back. I coached twelve recreational volleyball games for my two daughters and then went to work at the grocery store. By 7:00pm it hurt to move my left leg. I have always had kidney infections and Genamicyn was one of the few antibiotics that worked on me, but this did not feel like those previous infections. I went to the ER thinking maybe I just had another infection. I expected to pee in a cup, get antibiotics and pain meds and go home. But after I got there and they made me lay down, the pain was excruciating. Turned out I had a stone blocking my right kidney completely. We do not know how long it had been like that. I had surgery the next day, and suffered through three more kidney surgeries for the 6 other stones. My final surgery was a year later when they removed a stone from the bottom back of my right kidney that took up 5% of my kidney. That was a year ago, and I am still suffering with reoccurring infections and almost daily pain from the trauma my kidney experienced.

Kidney Infection - Treatments Question: What treatment was effective for your kidney infection?
Kidney Infection - Causes Question: What was the cause of your kidney infection?
Kidney Infection - In Children Question: What risk factors for kidney infection did your child have?