Patient Comments: Kidney Infection - Symptoms

Please describe your kidney infection symptoms.

Comment from: Tracie, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: March 03

I have had 2 previous severe kidney infections over the last couple of years, with sepsis (Infection in the blood) as well. Both times I was hospitalized for 5 days and administered IV antibiotics and fluids. I am in the midst of another. At the moment, I have severe, constant pain in abdomen, as well as lower back, flank pain, frequent urination and elevated temperature. Urinary analysis showed up clean, but as my doctor told me, that doesn"t mean I don"t have UTI (urinary tract infection), or kidney infection. I have been given antibiotics and they will be monitoring my condition. As I know that feeling of the pain in my flank area and abdomen, I am at the doctor"s the minute I have these signs. I can"t stress enough to listen to your body, and act as soon as possible, as it can be life threatening if left untreated. Sepsis is fatal in 50% of cases said my specialist, and needs immediate IV antibiotics. You may not have all the symptoms, but best to be checked out, even if symptoms are mild.

Comment from: sherrylp, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 27

I had back pain, then right front side pain. I thought it was appendicitis. I went to the emergency room; after CT scan and urine test, diagnosis was kidney infection again! I had IV and antibiotics and was sent home with Cipro. Four days later, I made emergency room calls, I was resistant to Cipro; now am on Macrobid. More symptoms came while the Cipro wasn't working: chills, dizziness, fever, hot flashes and sleeping a lot. This is my 5th serious infection in 2 years with less serious ones also. Two different doctors and no results as to what is going on. I am very depressed this round.

Comment from: 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: January 27

It started with sharp back pain, followed by nausea (I hadn't had anything to eat for almost 10 hours) and total exhaustion. I slept for almost 12 hours but, not restful sleep. I was in so much pain in the lower part of my stomach, my back and surprisingly, around my buttocks. I was treated at one point with bursitis (got shots for it). Well, it felt like I had a severe case of it all about my sides, buttock, thighs. The pain went down my legs. I called my new PPO (preferred provider organization) doctor. He told me to head to the hospital. I went and once there, they put me on an IV, did an EKG, took a urine sample and followed up with CT scan. About 1 1/2 hours later, I was told I was suffering with a kidney infection. I went home with an antibiotic (every 6 hours till finished) and a pain killer.

Comment from: Youngmom31, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: November 07

I just left the hospital after receiving IV antibiotics and fluids for 2 days because I have a really bad kidney infection. It started a week before with flu like symptoms, aches, chills, fever shaking and really severe pain in my right back, side and all the area from my spine around to mid front and from my right hip up to my ribs. It was the most horrible pain I have ever been in. Oral Medications were just not enough. But even IV pain Medications didn't not take away all my pain. Even after being released I am still sore and weak. Now I am on oral Medications for the infection and pain. I hope when I go back to the doctor in one week it is all gone.

Comment from: sassygirl24, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: October 31

I felt chills, hot and cold, I was sweating and had high fevers. The headaches were awful anytime I moved. It felt like all I did was sleep curled up in blankets for two days. I also had sore throat, heavy breathing, rib pain and low back pain. Finally I went to the doctor yesterday and doctor said I have a kidney infection, now I am on antibiotics and still have headache, no energy, and slight body ache. At least all of the other symptoms went away. My doctor said to allow 2 to 3 days to feel better, so I'm hopeful.

Kidney Infection - Treatments Question: What treatment was effective for your kidney infection?
Kidney Infection - Causes Question: What was the cause of your kidney infection?
Kidney Infection - In Children Question: What risk factors for kidney infection did your child have?