Patient Comments: Kidney Infection - Symptoms

Please describe your kidney infection symptoms.

Comment from: 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: January 27

It started with sharp back pain, followed by nausea (I hadn't had anything to eat for almost 10 hours) and total exhaustion. I slept for almost 12 hours but, not restful sleep. I was in so much pain in the lower part of my stomach, my back and surprisingly, around my buttocks. I was treated at one point with bursitis (got shots for it). Well, it felt like I had a severe case of it all about my sides, buttock, thighs. The pain went down my legs. I called my new PPO (preferred provider organization) doctor. He told me to head to the hospital. I went and once there, they put me on an IV, did an EKG, took a urine sample and followed up with CT scan. About 1 1/2 hours later, I was told I was suffering with a kidney infection. I went home with an antibiotic (every 6 hours till finished) and a pain killer.

Comment from: Youngmom31, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: November 07

I just left the hospital after receiving IV antibiotics and fluids for 2 days because I have a really bad kidney infection. It started a week before with flu like symptoms, aches, chills, fever shaking and really severe pain in my right back, side and all the area from my spine around to mid front and from my right hip up to my ribs. It was the most horrible pain I have ever been in. Oral Medications were just not enough. But even IV pain Medications didn't not take away all my pain. Even after being released I am still sore and weak. Now I am on oral Medications for the infection and pain. I hope when I go back to the doctor in one week it is all gone.

Comment from: sassygirl24, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: October 31

I felt chills, hot and cold, I was sweating and had high fevers. The headaches were awful anytime I moved. It felt like all I did was sleep curled up in blankets for two days. I also had sore throat, heavy breathing, rib pain and low back pain. Finally I went to the doctor yesterday and doctor said I have a kidney infection, now I am on antibiotics and still have headache, no energy, and slight body ache. At least all of the other symptoms went away. My doctor said to allow 2 to 3 days to feel better, so I'm hopeful.

Comment from: rachelblynn, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: October 08

About two weeks ago I started having painful/burning urination. I also noticed that my urine had a very strong odor. I have had several urinary tract infections (UTIs) in the past and have always taken Ado, over the counter medication for them, which has always been successful in the past. There are only 6 doses in each pack. By last night, I was on my third pack. Out of nowhere I started having pain in my lower right abdomen. By morning, the pain radiated all the way around my side, to my back. Moving my left leg increased the pain. I lay on a heating pad and took ibuprofen. By 9 a.m. I was in excruciating pain. I saw my doctor. He said that I waited an excessively long time before contacting him. He prescribed nitrofurantoin mono/mac 100mg, 1 capsule twice daily and phenazopyridine 100mg, 1 tablet 3 times daily. Due to my lack of getting treatment sooner, I now have a fever, runny/clogged nose, achy body, shivering regardless of temperature, and extreme fatigue. If you think you may have a UTI or kidney infection, seek medical care immediately so it doesn't progress into something far worse. I have a husband and four young children. Had I listened to my body two weeks ago and taken better care of myself, I wouldn't be useless to them right now.

Comment from: Nancy, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 17

I have urinary tract infection (UTI) every month. I go to the bathroom before and after sex. I also wipe correctly. I am getting concerned and have a doctor appointment on Thursday to see if I have kidney infection; mostly curious.

Comment from: Penelope, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: January 05

I have had urinary tract infections (UTIs) since my 20s. All along, doctors would test and say they couldn't find anything to cause the pain, fever, shivering, blood in the urine, flu like symptoms. They didn't prescribe antibiotics because there was no evidence of infection. About 10 years ago, I was on vacation and the familiar symptoms returned. The only doctor for miles around turned out to be a podiatrist. He had a 'Grey's Anatomy' and a PDR and he treated the whole town with those 2 books. He said that I should buy Bactrim. And, I got better. The next time the symptoms appeared, I began taking the Bactrim. I didn't have to go through the endless hours of pain and fever that I normally had to do to get an appointment with my doctor, and then I suspected she would just tell me that there was no infection and send me home with Prozac. I couldn't argue that I wasn't depressed. But I was depressed due to the UTI symptoms. I rarely got any treatment for that.

Kidney Infection - Treatments Question: What treatment was effective for your kidney infection?
Kidney Infection - Causes Question: What was the cause of your kidney infection?
Kidney Infection - In Children Question: What risk factors for kidney infection did your child have?