Patient Comments: Kidney Infection - Symptoms

Please describe your kidney infection symptoms.

Comment from: sweets87, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: June 12

I have had several kidney infections and once hospitalized for three days. I now believe I have a serious kidney infection again, but am a single mom with not much money and I can't afford to really go to a doctor. It hit me very suddenly just three days ago and I have literally been in excruciating pain. My left kidney is throbbing and its making it very difficult to stand at times and it hurts worse than ever to breathe deep. It feels like its stretching and going to rip. The pain is horrific. I feel very faint at times and extremely nauseous. Breathing and standing is becoming more difficult for me. I can no longer pick up my son. I don't think I have a fever and it doesn't hurt to pee, but I have been peeing more frequently. My left side of my abdomen is now starting to hurt beyond bad as well. I never had the excruciating pain when I would breathe deep. Does anyone have suggestions or has anyone experienced the difficulty breathing?.

Comment from: mandaJ, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: May 26

I started having symptoms about a week ago. It started with night sweets and just not feeling myself during the day. The third day I did have blood in my urine and knew there was something going on. By the fourth day I was having unbearable pain in my left flank area, I went to urgent care, they took a urine sample and told me it was probably kidney stones, but they wouldn't know for 3 more days while they had my urine cultured. I was prescribed pain pills and went home, waited three more days in extreme pain with vomiting. The results of my culture came back negative? So I went to the ER because my symptoms were not going away, they diagnosed me immediately with a severe kidney infection. After 3 days on antibiotics. I am finally starting to feel better, hoping this never comes back. If anyone has suggestions in preventing future kidney infections aside from drinking lots of water and cranberry Please, please let me know.

Comment from: 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: May 26

A few years back I had high fever, dull back pain on my right side and vomiting a lot. I went to the doctor and they sent me to the hospital due to a kidney infection. I was in the hospital for 2 weeks because I had really high fever and vomited a lot and nothing seems to be helping. Finally, 2 days without fever I was able to go home. 4 years later I was getting UTIs all the time they ran test after test to find out what might be causing them, but nothing would come up. Finally, I guess one medicine worked and I did not get one for awhile. I know I have one again so I started to drink lots of water and started to take AZO which helps with the pain. I haven't had any fever, but I do have this pain in my back and all my other symptoms have disappeared. Has anyone ever just had pain in their back? Also, to the person who say's they don't know if they should go to the doctor. From the sounds of your symptoms you should go to the doctor. If you let it get worse you could end up in the hospital like me and that's going to cost you a lot more. I had my symptoms for 2 days only before I went and because I did not get on medication right away it got really bad. Sorry to say this but there is no way around it. You have to see a doctor if it's gotten to your kidney's.

Comment from: Sophia, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: May 12

It started as a urinary infection (cystitis).The doctor gave me medication and I had a urinary sample sent for testing. The doctor said that she was going to let me know if I needed different medication, as soon as she gets the results from the test. She didn't, so after a few days I started having severe pains in the right side of my belly and my back. I started loosing my appetite and I had the fever and chills. I went to a different doctor, at the same medical center, to find out that according to the results of the urine test I was taking the wrong medication all this time, causing the infection to move to the kidney!

Comment from: michelle, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 12

I felt a little cold on Friday morning and at 8pm started shivering badly. I went to bed and although I was cold inside I was boiling on the outside. Had a very uncomfortable night, but the next morning I felt well again. I thought I was going in for flu but stayed well until Sunday when at exactly the same time the shivers started again. The one thing I really noticed was the whites of my eyes were completely red. Low and behold after an even worse night than Friday I got up and felt normal again. Because it all seemed so bizarre I went to the GP who said I had a UTI. I hurt my back recently and now that is better I can feel a dull ache on the left side of my back. I think the back injury was masking this. One other thing I remembered was I went to the toilet a week before and when I wiped there was blood on the tissue, this never happened again. My results will be back on Thursday so will be interesting to see if it is a UTI.

Comment from: coastie_lady, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: April 27

I had no symptoms prior to my infection becoming serious. I felt fine, then out of the blue my whole body started to ache. I was running a fever of almost 105 off and on, and vomiting. At some points I had a hard time even walking around, but only had dull back pain. I thought I had the flu at first, but after two days of it, a racing heart beat, and severe shakes, I went to the hospital and ended up being put on IVS, pumped with potassium, and antibiotics for a severe kidney infections. I had to go back two days later have the same thing done, and my antibiotics changed because nothing had gotten better. It was the worst I have ever felt in my life. I had no problems or pain urinating to warn me of a possible infection. So if you are having these symptoms and it doesn't get better with over the counter meds, go get checked. You may not have the initial warning symptoms.

Kidney Infection - Treatments Question: What treatment was effective for your kidney infection?
Kidney Infection - Causes Question: What was the cause of your kidney infection?
Kidney Infection - In Children Question: What risk factors for kidney infection did your child have?