Patient Comments: Kidney Infection - Symptoms

Please describe your kidney infection symptoms.

Comment from: sc, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: October 08

I have a kidney infection now. I had no warning of infection just a dull ache under my left rib cage round to my back. Then during the night I got hot and cold sweats, severe shaking, headache, body aching, stiff neck, sore eyes, vomiting, and heavier breathing. The pain is unbearable, sometimes hard to walk, and I get shooting pains up my left side when sitting up or bending. Doctors gave me antibiotics but 2 days later nothing has improved and I'm still feeling the same. The doctor told me I have a bad kidney infection but this is the worst pain I've ever felt. I've been drinking plenty of cranberry juice and barely water as advised by the doctor.

Comment from: thepoo2, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: July 06

I had been feeling fine with a slight ache in my back. I coached twelve recreational volleyball games for my two daughters and then went to work at the grocery store. By 7:00pm it hurt to move my left leg. I have always had kidney infections and Genamicyn was one of the few antibiotics that worked on me, but this did not feel like those previous infections. I went to the ER thinking maybe I just had another infection. I expected to pee in a cup, get antibiotics and pain meds and go home. But after I got there and they made me lay down, the pain was excruciating. Turned out I had a stone blocking my right kidney completely. We do not know how long it had been like that. I had surgery the next day, and suffered through three more kidney surgeries for the 6 other stones. My final surgery was a year later when they removed a stone from the bottom back of my right kidney that took up 5% of my kidney. That was a year ago, and I am still suffering with reoccurring infections and almost daily pain from the trauma my kidney experienced.

Comment from: 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: June 29

I believe I had a UTI in February of this year, in which I was treated with Bacterium. But, come May of this year, I started feeling the same symptoms again. Dizziness, headaches, some marked confusion in concentration, shaking, sweating at times, chills at times and dull pain or discomfort in the lower back area. So, I had a refill on the Bacterium, so I refilled and starting taking again for 5-7 days. Well, I was drinking fluids, but not enough. I ended up in emergency for just not feeling well and feeling like I wanted to faint on two occasions. The doctors told me I was dehydrated and severely fatigued. All urine and blood tests came back pristine! I still had the antibiotic Bacterium in my system. A week and half later or two, it again started. I went to my family doctor and was told I had a Kidney infection and treated with Levaquin. I sure hope this works. I do feel a little better, but recovery is slow. It's been day 4 for me. I do have more energy and don't have the back pain, shaking, headaches or confusion. I still have some chills and tiredness. I assume it takes time. I have a 7 days regime of meds to do yet.

Comment from: teenagersmom, 13-18 Female (Caregiver) Published: June 26

Speaking for my 17 year old daughter. She felt tired, loss of appetite, dizziness and intermittent nausea for several weeks and had lost about 10 pounds without trying. Other symptoms were headache, anxiety, feeling hot and cold. She had a swollen lymph node and was treated with an antiviral. Because she was also going through intense examinations at school we weren't exactly sure what was stress, what was illness. Two days ago she began to have flu like symptoms. We had done blood work shortly after she got sick for the other long term symptoms but thought she was now fighting off a virus. She had pain on the left side of her stomach, under her rib cage. Fever went up to 102, but would go down okay with ibuprofen or Tylenol. Extreme fatigue, headaches, sleeping all the time, changed between feeling very cold and very hot. She had no typical UTI symptoms, burning or significant increase in urination. Urine test revealed possible UTI and doctor finally called it as a kidney infection. She's on antibiotics now.

Comment from: luckeymommy, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: June 26

I had three minor UTI's when I was pregnant with my 18 month old daughter and I am very familiar with the symptoms. (Peeing frequently, burning while urinating...etc.). Over the past month I have been getting severe cramps on my left side, but no other symptoms of a UTI. Being a single mom, I don't have much time to get to the doctor. Well, yesterday I woke up with severe pains in my left flank. Thinking I had slept wrong and pulled a muscle, I treated it with vapor rub, and took some Aleve. It didn't treated my problem. After getting one hour of sleep all night, I finally went to the ER and found out it was a kidney infection, not muscle problems. It's been six hours since my first dose of meds. I am feeling a little nauseous, but it is well worth it. Get into the hospital with any kind of unusual symptoms. They only get worse without treatment.

Comment from: mum, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: June 26

I have had pain on my left side but it seems to move around, sometimes it is very severe. It makes me wince suddenly. I have had it on and off for about a year. I took urine into the clinic. I had to start antibiotics straight away, but I was only given 10 pills 2 a day for 5 days will this clear it. I have had rods inserted in my back 3 months ago, and had an infection in the hospital. I had to stay for 5 weeks on IV's. Then 6 weeks after being on antibiotics I came home, but still the pain has persisted on my left side. I also have problems now with my left hip, waiting to see consultant about that. I am so fed up with it. I have no energy; I cannot walk very far without my crutches, now I am in and out of bed all night. Will this trimethoprim clear my infection in 5 days.

Kidney Infection - Treatments Question: What treatment was effective for your kidney infection?
Kidney Infection - Causes Question: What was the cause of your kidney infection?
Kidney Infection - In Children Question: What risk factors for kidney infection did your child have?