Patient Comments: Kidney Infection - Symptoms

Please describe your kidney infection symptoms.

Comment from: tasha, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: March 13

Kidney infections are no joke, I near died! I thought it was a really bad flu I had and took ibuprofen; they would help and I took them for 3 days and I literally couldn't walk. The ibuprofen made my stomach bleed. When you have an infection like that get it treated, don't wait get the right medications, for at the moment I've sore side, back and neck, that's straining my head and my bones are sore and tired.

Comment from: sassygirl24, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: October 31

I felt chills, hot and cold, I was sweating and had high fevers. The headaches were awful anytime I moved. It felt like all I did was sleep curled up in blankets for two days. I also had sore throat, heavy breathing, rib pain and low back pain. Finally I went to the doctor yesterday and doctor said I have a kidney infection, now I am on antibiotics and still have headache, no energy, and slight body ache. At least all of the other symptoms went away. My doctor said to allow 2 to 3 days to feel better, so I'm hopeful.

Comment from: rachelblynn, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: October 08

About two weeks ago I started having painful/burning urination. I also noticed that my urine had a very strong odor. I have had several urinary tract infections (UTIs) in the past and have always taken Ado, over the counter medication for them, which has always been successful in the past. There are only 6 doses in each pack. By last night, I was on my third pack. Out of nowhere I started having pain in my lower right abdomen. By morning, the pain radiated all the way around my side, to my back. Moving my left leg increased the pain. I lay on a heating pad and took ibuprofen. By 9 a.m. I was in excruciating pain. I saw my doctor. He said that I waited an excessively long time before contacting him. He prescribed nitrofurantoin mono/mac 100mg, 1 capsule twice daily and phenazopyridine 100mg, 1 tablet 3 times daily. Due to my lack of getting treatment sooner, I now have a fever, runny/clogged nose, achy body, shivering regardless of temperature, and extreme fatigue. If you think you may have a UTI or kidney infection, seek medical care immediately so it doesn't progress into something far worse. I have a husband and four young children. Had I listened to my body two weeks ago and taken better care of myself, I wouldn't be useless to them right now.

Comment from: sc, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: October 08

I have a kidney infection now. I had no warning of infection just a dull ache under my left rib cage round to my back. Then during the night I got hot and cold sweats, severe shaking, headache, body aching, stiff neck, sore eyes, vomiting, and heavier breathing. The pain is unbearable, sometimes hard to walk, and I get shooting pains up my left side when sitting up or bending. Doctors gave me antibiotics but 2 days later nothing has improved and I'm still feeling the same. The doctor told me I have a bad kidney infection but this is the worst pain I've ever felt. I've been drinking plenty of cranberry juice and barely water as advised by the doctor.

Comment from: thepoo2, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: July 06

I had been feeling fine with a slight ache in my back. I coached twelve recreational volleyball games for my two daughters and then went to work at the grocery store. By 7:00pm it hurt to move my left leg. I have always had kidney infections and Genamicyn was one of the few antibiotics that worked on me, but this did not feel like those previous infections. I went to the ER thinking maybe I just had another infection. I expected to pee in a cup, get antibiotics and pain meds and go home. But after I got there and they made me lay down, the pain was excruciating. Turned out I had a stone blocking my right kidney completely. We do not know how long it had been like that. I had surgery the next day, and suffered through three more kidney surgeries for the 6 other stones. My final surgery was a year later when they removed a stone from the bottom back of my right kidney that took up 5% of my kidney. That was a year ago, and I am still suffering with reoccurring infections and almost daily pain from the trauma my kidney experienced.

Comment from: 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: June 29

I believe I had a UTI in February of this year, in which I was treated with Bacterium. But, come May of this year, I started feeling the same symptoms again. Dizziness, headaches, some marked confusion in concentration, shaking, sweating at times, chills at times and dull pain or discomfort in the lower back area. So, I had a refill on the Bacterium, so I refilled and starting taking again for 5-7 days. Well, I was drinking fluids, but not enough. I ended up in emergency for just not feeling well and feeling like I wanted to faint on two occasions. The doctors told me I was dehydrated and severely fatigued. All urine and blood tests came back pristine! I still had the antibiotic Bacterium in my system. A week and half later or two, it again started. I went to my family doctor and was told I had a Kidney infection and treated with Levaquin. I sure hope this works. I do feel a little better, but recovery is slow. It's been day 4 for me. I do have more energy and don't have the back pain, shaking, headaches or confusion. I still have some chills and tiredness. I assume it takes time. I have a 7 days regime of meds to do yet.

Kidney Infection - Treatments Question: What treatment was effective for your kidney infection?
Kidney Infection - Causes Question: What was the cause of your kidney infection?
Kidney Infection - In Children Question: What risk factors for kidney infection did your child have?