Patient Comments: Kidney Infection - Symptoms

Please describe your kidney infection symptoms.

Comment from: debbiej, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: May 30

I started having pain on my side and back on Saturday with blood in urine. Also I had lots of gas. I called my doctor and he said sounds like a urinary tract infection. I have no other symptoms, no burning or urgency to pee. I also have lack of appetite. He put me on Cipro.

Comment from: tasha, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: March 13

Kidney infections are no joke, I near died! I thought it was a really bad flu I had and took ibuprofen; they would help and I took them for 3 days and I literally couldn't walk. The ibuprofen made my stomach bleed. When you have an infection like that get it treated, don't wait get the right medications, for at the moment I've sore side, back and neck, that's straining my head and my bones are sore and tired.

Comment from: 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: January 27

It started with sharp back pain, followed by nausea (I hadn't had anything to eat for almost 10 hours) and total exhaustion. I slept for almost 12 hours but, not restful sleep. I was in so much pain in the lower part of my stomach, my back and surprisingly, around my buttocks. I was treated at one point with bursitis (got shots for it). Well, it felt like I had a severe case of it all about my sides, buttock, thighs. The pain went down my legs. I called my new PPO (preferred provider organization) doctor. He told me to head to the hospital. I went and once there, they put me on an IV, did an EKG, took a urine sample and followed up with CT scan. About 1 1/2 hours later, I was told I was suffering with a kidney infection. I went home with an antibiotic (every 6 hours till finished) and a pain killer.

Comment from: Youngmom31, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: November 07

I just left the hospital after receiving IV antibiotics and fluids for 2 days because I have a really bad kidney infection. It started a week before with flu like symptoms, aches, chills, fever shaking and really severe pain in my right back, side and all the area from my spine around to mid front and from my right hip up to my ribs. It was the most horrible pain I have ever been in. Oral Medications were just not enough. But even IV pain Medications didn't not take away all my pain. Even after being released I am still sore and weak. Now I am on oral Medications for the infection and pain. I hope when I go back to the doctor in one week it is all gone.

Comment from: sassygirl24, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: October 31

I felt chills, hot and cold, I was sweating and had high fevers. The headaches were awful anytime I moved. It felt like all I did was sleep curled up in blankets for two days. I also had sore throat, heavy breathing, rib pain and low back pain. Finally I went to the doctor yesterday and doctor said I have a kidney infection, now I am on antibiotics and still have headache, no energy, and slight body ache. At least all of the other symptoms went away. My doctor said to allow 2 to 3 days to feel better, so I'm hopeful.

Comment from: rachelblynn, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: October 08

About two weeks ago I started having painful/burning urination. I also noticed that my urine had a very strong odor. I have had several urinary tract infections (UTIs) in the past and have always taken Ado, over the counter medication for them, which has always been successful in the past. There are only 6 doses in each pack. By last night, I was on my third pack. Out of nowhere I started having pain in my lower right abdomen. By morning, the pain radiated all the way around my side, to my back. Moving my left leg increased the pain. I lay on a heating pad and took ibuprofen. By 9 a.m. I was in excruciating pain. I saw my doctor. He said that I waited an excessively long time before contacting him. He prescribed nitrofurantoin mono/mac 100mg, 1 capsule twice daily and phenazopyridine 100mg, 1 tablet 3 times daily. Due to my lack of getting treatment sooner, I now have a fever, runny/clogged nose, achy body, shivering regardless of temperature, and extreme fatigue. If you think you may have a UTI or kidney infection, seek medical care immediately so it doesn't progress into something far worse. I have a husband and four young children. Had I listened to my body two weeks ago and taken better care of myself, I wouldn't be useless to them right now.

Kidney Infection - Treatments Question: What treatment was effective for your kidney infection?
Kidney Infection - Causes Question: What was the cause of your kidney infection?
Kidney Infection - In Children Question: What risk factors for kidney infection did your child have?