Patient Comments: Kidney Infection - Symptoms

Please describe your kidney infection symptoms.

Comment from: james, 19-24 Male (Patient) Published: March 24

I have had hydronephrosis of the right kidney. The obstruction of urine is said to be caused by constriction of right ureter.

Comment from: jrodi, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: September 05

I'm a 40 year old female and have suffered 3 kidney infections in my life (currently dealing with my third). Twice prior I had to be hospitalized as I go from sick to terribly sick in a matter of 24 to 48 hours of diagnosis. My current symptoms are horrible pain in sides of mid back (near ribs) and in lower left and right abdomen. As of this morning, pain has started in my front rib cage areas and I have a feeling of just being very unwell, almost flu-like. I have dizziness, fever (mine hasn't exceeded 99.7, but still makes you feel horrible) and infrequent urination (I've only been going once very early in the morning and once at night). Initially, I had burning at the end of urination but that has subsided, which is a bad thing I was told by the emergency room (ER) doctor. That means it has moved away from your bladder and on up to your kidneys. I was feeling as though I had a lower urinary tract infection (UTI) on a Saturday, so I took home measures for that. By Monday, I was very sick and told my husband to take me to the ER. They did blood and urine work and told me I had one nasty infection that was in my kidneys. They gave me a bag of Rocephin (antibiotic), fluids, and IV pain and nausea medicine. Prescribed me Keflex, Phenergan and pain medications for home. I'm on day two of home antibiotics and getting worse. I'll probably go back this afternoon as kidney infections are nothing to mess around with.

Comment from: tlf, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: August 26

I am a 48 year old female that after having three children and right after my third I started to have reoccurring urinary tract infections (UTIs) from sexual relations. I ended up in the hospital with a kidney infection due to so many UTIs and antibiotics masking symptoms. After that it was discovered that I had an enlarged bladder. I had to catheterize myself twice daily for a period of time. Things seem to get better. This past December, it became difficult for me to urinate and I needed to bear down like I was having a baby to get urine out. I have seen a local urologist who did testing and my bladder is enlarged (can get 1500 ml out between me going on my own and the rest through catheterizing myself (majority is released through catheter). Now I am experiencing UTIs constantly and yeast infections. I am miserable. I am just finishing my last pill today and my urine is still cloudy and my back (lower) is tender all the time. I am cold all the time (even in 80 degree weather, no fever) and my bladder is very sore feeling (it aches). I have not seen the urologist face to face since May. They are busy so they do a clean catheter on me each time I think I have infection. The yeast infection is being treated by my obstetrician/gynecologist and she said it was a rare form of yeast and that they had to call an infectious disease doctor for treatment. I sometime feel ache all over (elbows when lifting, collarbone, feet ache and feel swollen. I need help on my next step. I am miserable.

Comment from: Bri, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: June 25

It started as a urinary tract infection (UTI) over one week ago. I was not sure if it was a UTI or yeast infection so I waited to seek medical attention. After a few days of home remedies, UTI symptoms felt better so I still did not seek help. Than three days ago the UTI symptoms got worse again, and my lower back started to hurt on the left side. I thought it was just sore from standing all day that day. The pain feels like DOMS (delayed onset muscle soreness from working out but more severe. Also more constant, no matter if I sit, stand or lay down. It was also very tender to the touch and hot. I was also exhausted and sleeping a lot. I remembered reading in an article, lower back pain during a UTI could mean it had spread to the kidneys. So I went to the doctor and they found white blood cells in my urine, confirming a UTI. Doctor also confirmed kidney pain and that the infection head spread there. I have been on antibiotics for two days but I am still in a lot of pain. I need to sleep a lot and I'm missing work. If you suspect a UTI, don't wait to see the doctor, don't let it get this far. It sucks!

Comment from: layde, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: June 13

I had found out I had E. coli in my kidneys some years ago and was told I was minutes from dying from renal failure. I had a high fever, chills, I couldn't lay on my back or side. The worst pain ever; I couldn't eat or drink and was in too much pain to walk. My boyfriend carried me to the hospital where they immediately admitted me and put a catheter in me and started me on medications for kidney failure. I thank him for making me go. Long term damage is kidney stones, frequent urinary tract infection (UTI) and back pain. Don't wait, get immediate treatment!

Kidney Infection - Treatments Question: What treatment was effective for your kidney infection?
Kidney Infection - Causes Question: What was the cause of your kidney infection?
Kidney Infection - In Children Question: What risk factors for kidney infection did your child have?