Patient Comments: Kidney Infection - Symptoms

Please describe your kidney infection symptoms.

Comment from: topspara, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 24

I've been suffering with kidney infection symptoms. I have been having groin pain and for a year, my right buttock was numb and I kept getting kidney infections but my doctor kept treating me for urine infections, even though I did have a small amount of blood in my urine. I felt like my doctor was treating me like a crazy person. I am now exhausted and still in agony. However approximately 5 months ago he finally sent me for some tests, ones I didn't think where right; colposcopy, colonoscopy, blood tests and x-ray. The hospital then took over and gave me CTs, etc., but finally an MRI. I'm waiting for the results and now have 2 more weeks to wait. I believe my femoral nerves are in some trouble so I hope they work it out soon as in these 2 years I have lost all my muscle and am so tired and have not seen my doctor since November as I can't walk and haven't been able to for 2 years.

Comment from: AnnaC, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: February 03

My kidney infection symptoms began 3 days before I finally gave in and went to the emergency room (ER). It initially started with horrible burning pain when I urinated, and frequency of urination, that lasted two days. By the third day I developed severe pain on the right side (where I already have an existing kidney stone), I also had a ton of blood in my urine from day 1. At the hospital they diagnosed me with a kidney infection because my white blood cells were extremely raised and because of the blood in my urine. They sent off my urine for a culture test and it just came back today positive for E. coli. I was told I was extremely lucky for going to the hospital when I did. They put me on an IV with antibiotics and gave me 10 days' worth. I was told if I developed a fever or began throwing up to immediately return to the ER. I've had diarrhea for two days now.

Comment from: Pat, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: January 13

I believe my kidney infection was caused as a result of eating an undercooked burger. I thought pink was ok but since discovered that's only ok with a steak or chop. Ground meat needs to be cooked through in case of bacteria from the outside of the meat going inside. I woke the next day with severe pain in the kidney area and had diarrhea through the day. The pain got so bad I went to hospital. Now I am on antibiotic and painkillers every 4 hours. The bacteria from the diarrhea obviously got into the urinary tract.

Comment from: jrodi, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: September 05

I'm a 40 year old female and have suffered 3 kidney infections in my life (currently dealing with my third). Twice prior I had to be hospitalized as I go from sick to terribly sick in a matter of 24 to 48 hours of diagnosis. My current symptoms are horrible pain in sides of mid back (near ribs) and in lower left and right abdomen. As of this morning, pain has started in my front rib cage areas and I have a feeling of just being very unwell, almost flu-like. I have dizziness, fever (mine hasn't exceeded 99.7, but still makes you feel horrible) and infrequent urination (I've only been going once very early in the morning and once at night). Initially, I had burning at the end of urination but that has subsided, which is a bad thing I was told by the emergency room (ER) doctor. That means it has moved away from your bladder and on up to your kidneys. I was feeling as though I had a lower urinary tract infection (UTI) on a Saturday, so I took home measures for that. By Monday, I was very sick and told my husband to take me to the ER. They did blood and urine work and told me I had one nasty infection that was in my kidneys. They gave me a bag of Rocephin (antibiotic), fluids, and IV pain and nausea medicine. Prescribed me Keflex, Phenergan and pain medications for home. I'm on day two of home antibiotics and getting worse. I'll probably go back this afternoon as kidney infections are nothing to mess around with.

Comment from: tlf, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: August 26

I am a 48 year old female that after having three children and right after my third I started to have reoccurring urinary tract infections (UTIs) from sexual relations. I ended up in the hospital with a kidney infection due to so many UTIs and antibiotics masking symptoms. After that it was discovered that I had an enlarged bladder. I had to catheterize myself twice daily for a period of time. Things seem to get better. This past December, it became difficult for me to urinate and I needed to bear down like I was having a baby to get urine out. I have seen a local urologist who did testing and my bladder is enlarged (can get 1500 ml out between me going on my own and the rest through catheterizing myself (majority is released through catheter). Now I am experiencing UTIs constantly and yeast infections. I am miserable. I am just finishing my last pill today and my urine is still cloudy and my back (lower) is tender all the time. I am cold all the time (even in 80 degree weather, no fever) and my bladder is very sore feeling (it aches). I have not seen the urologist face to face since May. They are busy so they do a clean catheter on me each time I think I have infection. The yeast infection is being treated by my obstetrician/gynecologist and she said it was a rare form of yeast and that they had to call an infectious disease doctor for treatment. I sometime feel ache all over (elbows when lifting, collarbone, feet ache and feel swollen. I need help on my next step. I am miserable.

Kidney Infection - Treatments Question: What treatment was effective for your kidney infection?
Kidney Infection - Causes Question: What was the cause of your kidney infection?
Kidney Infection - In Children Question: What risk factors for kidney infection did your child have?