Patient Comments: Kidney Infection - Causes

What was the cause of your kidney infection?

Comment from: mary, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: May 24

I was just diagnosed with myeloma very recently. I am still getting to grips with the news. It was a shock to me as I had never heard of it before. At present I am trying to get more information regarding the subject. This is for me to understand hopefully to deal with the illness. My problems at present is headaches, and burning sensation in my lumbar area and sometimes even have prickly heat on the upper back. This problems does not stop me from going out or doing things. I do wear a belt for my back ache if I have pain in that area. I have had back problems since nursing days, as I was a nurse in the past. I really do not know how it will progress. Time will tell.

Comment from: clara, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: April 25

My kidney infection was caused by my blood sugar. The pains have been there for like 4 years now. It was recently that I discovered that, this was why I have been having this lower abdominal pains for years.

Comment from: hank, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 29

For about 2 weeks I was feeling fatigued with pain in my lower right back area that sometimes extended to my right shoulder. I had a really bad headache and was diagnosed with a sinus infection on one occasion to the emergency room and given a steroid shot. The pain and fatigue was still present so I figured stress from work was the culprit. I noticed my appetite was gone especially in the evenings and nausea would also set in at night. I started losing weight and the palms of my hands/feet would sweat with my feet staying particularly cold at times. After a few nights of not sleeping because of nausea I went to the emergency room where finally after running the same tests as the other ER and medical centers, I was diagnosed with the kidney infection. I have been on Cipro for the last 6 days but at times the nausea and loss of appetite still occur. I have an appointment with a urologist tomorrow to see if this antibiotic is not working or the infection was just bad and the recovery is going to be slow. If anyone has these sometimes silent symptoms please go to the doctor, you are not going to beat this without the help of antibiotics. The last three weeks or so have been terrible and I just want to get well.

Comment from: Kristi, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: December 17

My kidney infection was caused due to a kidney stone getting stuck in my ureter. The infection got pretty bad and I ended up being hospitalized for about a week.

Comment from: Mary, 35-44 Female Published: May 01

I just had a hysterectomy 3 weeks ago. A day and a half of being in the hospital post-op I was sent home on Levaquin antibiotic. 2 days later I broke out with hives so I made a trip to the ER. They took me off the Levaquin and put me on Bactrim. The next day broke out again. Next it was Macrobid. Again the next day broke out! So now I am on Cephalexin and still I am not any better. Lower flank pain, stomach pain. A lot of fatigue, chills but no vomiting. I really wish they would get it right because I also have Lupus and it is my main concern especially with the kidney health.

Comment from: charlie, Female (Patient) Published: January 27

Although my daytime pressure is in the 137 to 147 range, after my morning 2 pills and one 5 mg pill after supper, my morning pressure is 188/125 in the morning when I awake. Now the doctor has added my 20 mg pill to my evening pill which I have decide to take at bedtime instead of supper time.

Comment from: ree, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: May 06

I was seen at the ER eight days ago. I was passing out constantly all day, vomiting, and had severe pain in my back and sides. They said I had a kidney infection. I was severely dehydrated and this was causing the passing out. They sent me home with Bactrim and phenergan. I was back there the next day with the same symptoms – not passing out as frequently, but the pain was worse. They said my blood and urine tests looked better. After poking me four times with no luck, the doctor had to use a sonogram machine to find a vein. I was on an antibiotic for a couple days before I felt better. Then on evening No. 5, I started having a burning sensation when I urinated, along with frequent urination. The next morning I woke up in severe, unbearable pain. I went to urgent care and they said I had a UTI. Now it is day 8 of the infection. I'm able to eat and drink without vomiting or passing out, but I am constantly running to the bathroom. When I feel the urge, I have to sprint to the bathroom because it starts leaking. The burning and back pain are still severe. I don't know what I should do. My family doctor does not have any appointments clear to see me all week.

Kidney Infection - Symptoms Question: Please describe your kidney infection symptoms.
Kidney Infection - Treatments Question: What treatment was effective for your kidney infection?
Kidney Infection - In Children Question: What risk factors for kidney infection did your child have?