Patient Comments: Kidney Failure - Treatment

What kinds of treatment did you or a relative receive for kidney failure?

Comment from: Robert, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: December 23

I had three to four cans of light tuna for a period of four months. Followed by seven to eight cans of white albacore tuna per week for another five months. I thought it was healthy. My health rapidly deteriorated. Bleeding from my kidneys, tinnitus, partial numbness in both hands and feet, fainting, dizziness, hand tremors, heart problems, patches of body hair missing from my legs, severe fatigue, easy bruising, difficulty thinking clearly, fits of unexplained anger, and insomnia. Tinnitus and fatigue were the first symptoms I noticed. I still have tinnitus and numbness in my extremities. There should be warning labels on canned tuna. I've begun researching and writing about it.

Comment from: Margaret, 75 or over Female (Caregiver) Published: April 11

My mum only has one kidney and when that stopped working doctors could find no reason for it. As a last ditch attempt they fitted a stent and miraculously it started to work again. Unfortunately it is happened several times in the last couple of years but each time the stent is replaced and it goes again.

Comment from: 24carotgold, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 29

I'm 53 and female, also a nurse for 15 years, still did not know symptoms of kidney disease, I do now. When I spoke with doctors they were not helpful, they just say eat a good diet and we will put you on dialysis. Here's what I do know, diet is critical, supplements are critical; L-carnitine, melatonin, magnesium and vitamin D3. Please, very little protein, very minimal dairy and yes your life changes forever. I have chemotherapy related kidney disease, have been cancer free for 4 years and now I have kidney disease stage 3. Do not take Tylenol, or ibuprofen or antibiotics while you have kidney disease, it can and will finish them off.

Comment from: Del, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: January 27

This message is for Sonny (male 45-54) and posted May 26. The heartburn is definitely from the drug Olmetec. Please tell your doctor to change to a different medication because it will only get worse. I developed heartburn after taking Olmetec and more than 6 months after stopping this drug the pain continues. I now need to see a gastroenterologist to find out what is causing the pain since it persists even with heartburn medications. You may have to go that route if the heartburn persists after you stop the Olmetec. I wish you well.

Comment from: perky0038, 35-44 (Patient) Published: December 17

My dad was on peritoneal and hemodialysis for years and they removed at least one if not both kidneys. He passed away when he was 51 years old. I was admitted to the hospital for 6 days in kidney failure that started as an infection. I had high fever, nausea, chills and my blood pressure and oxygen dropped really low. The doctors kept a constant supply of antibiotics and other fluids going until that caused problems with pseudo cerebri tumor. I had horrible headache, rushing sounds in ears that is caused by too much spinal fluid in the brain. The pain doesn't go away even with strong pain medications. I had to beg and plead to be put on Lasix, they finally agreed the headache that lasted for days was finally gone within hours. Recently my feet were very swollen and trying to lay down I felt like I was suffocating. This started a day after dental surgery. After 3 days I went in to urgent care most of my labs and x-ray came back good, they put me on Lasix again by the next day I was starting to feel better.

Kidney Failure - Symptoms Question: The symptoms of kidney failure can vary greatly from patient to patient. What were your symptoms at the onset of your disease?
Kidney Failure - Diet Question: What changes have you made to your diet since you were diagnosed with kidney failure?
Kidney Failure - Diagnosis Question: Describe the events and tests that led to a diagnosis of kidney failure.
Kidney Failure - Dialysis Question: What is it like to receive dialysis? Please share your experience.