Patient Comments: Kidney Failure - Treatment

What kinds of treatment did you or a relative receive for kidney failure?

Comment from: Cc C, 65-74 (Caregiver) Published: February 06

My mom is suffering from kidney failure and has pretty much given up. She is morbidly obese, diabetic, asthmatic, her swelling is severe, and she can't walk to the bathroom by herself. The doctor says she can go either way but she has to want to get better. He says that she will need to lose a minimum of 100 pounds if she wants to improve, but she refuses to eat the low sodium and low fat foods. She basically just wants to lie in bed and die while eating potato chips and french fries. My father is in denial and thinks she is going to magically walk out of her bedroom one day. My sisters and I are fighting because everyone thinks they know better. I just don't know what to do anymore. It is so terrible.

Comment from: frontman, 75 or over Female (Caregiver) Published: January 07

My 90 year old mom has kidney failure of some point. She had loss of appetite tired all the time. While in the hospital she had a mild heart attack the doctors said there's nothing more they can do. Now she's eating better and drinking more water.

Comment from: reeemoney, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: January 19

I am a 42 year old male. In 1989 I received a living related transplant when my kidneys failed. I went directly to transplant with no dialysis between failure and transplant surgery. In 2007 my transplanted kidney failed. I ended up on dialysis for two years until I received a living non-related transplant in 2009.

Comment from: Sonny, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: May 26

Hi everyone I'm at a stage 3 kidney failure right now with. My GFR is at 31 right now. Seems to be steady at that for the last couple months since ive been taking high blood pressure pills. ***Olmetec Plus 40mg*** doctors still don't know what's causing it which is really annoying me as I want my life back and want to get back to work. I'm sure I already know what's wrong but the doctors don't seem to be listening. I have some sort of blockage peeing. Everything was negative for cancer or prostate. I also had a ***pee flow test** which they say was normal. I can't force pee out which I think is the problem my bladder empties ok but just at a slow rate I can't force it out. something new came up today is a fever and aching back and serious heart burn which I think is the high blood pressure pills that is causing the heart burn. If anyone has any info on this would really appreciate some feedback. Thanks again.

Comment from: Kim, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: April 14

After suffering from severe lower back ache for some days and feeling very tired and sleeping all the time, I went to see my GP. He sent me to hospital as my tummy had swelled up as well. They took my blood and came back and told me I was in liver failure. I was sent to a ward and put on a drip and all sorts of medications. I couldn't even pass urine. One day I had a seizure and I was rushed to another hospital for dialysis. After 3 days I woke up, confused! They had just saved my life. After I was returned to my own general hospital, I was told all this was due to ALCOHOL! I had been drinking for about 20 years. I stopped of course. I have now fully recovered but will never drink again!

Comment from: Granny, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: April 07

I have continuous kidney infections. I am taking Metoprolol and Warfarin for a stroke I had in October. I was admitted to the hospitsl emergency with a severe UTI, but it turned into a stroke when I was transferred to another hospital where I stayed for three days and released infomation that I have Atrial fibrillation. I am 76 yrs old, a female and was not on any prescription drugs before the stroke and hospitlization.

Comment from: 65-74 Male (Caregiver) Published: January 21

My husband has Chronic Heart Failure and Diabetes and he has now been diagnosed with kidney problems. He had a defibrillator inserted last year for his heart failure. He presently suffers hay fever like symptoms, itches all over his torso, shins and arms. The doctor prescribed Cortisone cream for irritation. He is tired, sleeps most of the day. Mobility is limited. He has back ache and is irritable. His medications for diabetes (Metformin) and heart failure have been reduced and Lasik reduced, but now he has trouble urinating. The doctor juggles between the problems. My husband took himself off Nexium for ulcers as these were making him nauseous. He has been eating a little better since. Hard to get recipes that cater to all his problems. He drinks only water and black tea. A milk shake is a treat.

Kidney Failure - Symptoms Question: The symptoms of kidney failure can vary greatly from patient to patient. What were your symptoms at the onset of your disease?
Kidney Failure - Diet Question: What changes have you made to your diet since you were diagnosed with kidney failure?
Kidney Failure - Diagnosis Question: Describe the events and tests that led to a diagnosis of kidney failure.
Kidney Failure - Dialysis Question: What is it like to receive dialysis? Please share your experience.