Patient Comments: Kidney Failure - Treatment

What kinds of treatment did you or a relative receive for kidney failure?

Comment from: Don, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: May 05

I have just been told today my kidneys have been damaged through Voltarol which I have been taking for years. I have been told to have blood tests every month so the doctor can monitor it. I have a chronic back problem, the treatment of which has caused this kidney failure.

Comment from: susan, 19-24 Male (Patient) Published: April 12

I've had strep throat for 3 days, my fever is gone but my throat is still real sore. I went to the doctor and am taking antibiotics.

Comment from: Cheryl, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: March 13

I'm 41 with stage 3, borderline stage 4, renal failure. The western doctors didn't tell me much other than stay away from ibuprofen and watch your diet. What has been a life changer in terms of how I feel, is acupuncture. Since receiving treatments, I'm no longer sick and missing work. I still have bad days, though, especially if I skip my acupuncture treatments. I'm also taking Rehmannia 8 (jin gui shen qi wan), which helps me not to feel so cold all the time. I also stopped drinking alcohol.

Comment from: Barbara, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: November 15

I have Wegener's and Rhodatarula. My kidneys are at stage three and I have chronic kidney dysfunction, anemia and arrhythmia. I stopped all medication 16 months ago because my kidneys couldn't cope and I was dying. I have been doing therapeutic riding for two years now and have been able to bring all my levels down to almost near normal. The tremendous flow of oxygenated blood and the production of red blood cells and the removal of toxins has helped remove pain, slow the progression of the virus, lower blood levels and lead to a better quality of life. It is still an investigation but it is working for me and two others who had given up hope.

Comment from: ronboy 43, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: February 15

I am a 68 year old white male weighing 290.I am 6'4" and played sports all my life and have a large frame. I carry my weight well. I have type 1 diabetes. I try to eat properly. I work out 3/4 times a week in the pool. My kidneys are working at 35 percent says specialist last week. Dialysis is in the future for sure. I never smoked or drink. Was always fit. Married 48 years. It does matter how you live your life in order to control your fate. Try to watch your diet and lose weight. I know how hard it is. I had a lap band inserted 2 years ago and it is ok but I still worry about my weight. Test daily and take your insulin although you may feel that you do not need any (even without carbs intake) trust me you will no matter what you eat.

Comment from: 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: August 17

I had no symptoms except fatigue until was in end stage acute renal failure. I finally went to the hospital when my arms and legs were cramping so badly I couldn't walk - I had a seizure on the way to the car. I was diagnosed with endocarditis, and infection in my heart valve and rabdomyolosis and this caused my kidneys to fail. I had to get dialyzed to save my life and the docs all told me I'd recover, but it's been three weeks since I was discharged and I'm still on dialysis. I feel better and am allowed to go back to work part time, but I'm tied to that dialysis machine three days a week and I had to go on medicaid and disability because I have dependent kids and can't work full time. I was totally independent and earning a decent salary before this. I guess I'm glad I'm alive, for my kid's sake, but I will never get my life back.

Comment from: jennybelle123, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: January 10

I was sick to my stomach and had a severe headache for a whole day. I went to the ER and they said I had a bladder infection and sent me home on the antibiotic called Cypro. After taking that for a few days, I felt worse. I had an aching pain in my lower back and a feeling of being extremely full in my stomach and chest area, as well as rapid heartbeats. Went back to ER and had a blood test and MRI w/dye and found out the dye is not good for kidneys. My kidneys were functioning at 23. They should be around 60 and that at that point I was in kidney failure. I was admitted to the hosp and put on intravenous fluids to flush my kidneys and hydrate, and antibiotics for 4 days. By the 5th day, they dropped the fluids and said I could go home since my levels were getting better each day. I did not have to go on dialysis. Currently working with a kidney specialist and getting more blood work and urine tests done in a couple of weeks to check for protein levels, etc. Hopefully everything will be fine.

Kidney Failure - Symptoms Question: The symptoms of kidney failure can vary greatly from patient to patient. What were your symptoms at the onset of your disease?
Kidney Failure - Diet Question: What changes have you made to your diet since you were diagnosed with kidney failure?
Kidney Failure - Diagnosis Question: Describe the events and tests that led to a diagnosis of kidney failure.
Kidney Failure - Dialysis Question: What is it like to receive dialysis? Please share your experience.