Patient Comments: Kidney Failure - Treatment

What kinds of treatment did you or a relative receive for kidney failure?

Comment from: ronboy 43, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: February 15

I am a 68 year old white male weighing 290.I am 6'4" and played sports all my life and have a large frame. I carry my weight well. I have type 1 diabetes. I try to eat properly. I work out 3/4 times a week in the pool. My kidneys are working at 35 percent says specialist last week. Dialysis is in the future for sure. I never smoked or drink. Was always fit. Married 48 years. It does matter how you live your life in order to control your fate. Try to watch your diet and lose weight. I know how hard it is. I had a lap band inserted 2 years ago and it is ok but I still worry about my weight. Test daily and take your insulin although you may feel that you do not need any (even without carbs intake) trust me you will no matter what you eat.

Comment from: 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: August 17

I had no symptoms except fatigue until was in end stage acute renal failure. I finally went to the hospital when my arms and legs were cramping so badly I couldn't walk - I had a seizure on the way to the car. I was diagnosed with endocarditis, and infection in my heart valve and rabdomyolosis and this caused my kidneys to fail. I had to get dialyzed to save my life and the docs all told me I'd recover, but it's been three weeks since I was discharged and I'm still on dialysis. I feel better and am allowed to go back to work part time, but I'm tied to that dialysis machine three days a week and I had to go on medicaid and disability because I have dependent kids and can't work full time. I was totally independent and earning a decent salary before this. I guess I'm glad I'm alive, for my kid's sake, but I will never get my life back.

Comment from: second_chance, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: June 23

My story might wake up someone else and prevent them from going through what happened to me recently. Straight to the point: I did some drugs again after abstinence for a longer while than usual. I woke up in the hospital. I came to, that is, I did not know exactly where I was and what occurred. This is after I was in the ICU with kidney failure. The doctors said I nearly died! Then they kept me in the hospital for a total of a week. My feet and legs were still swollen for another week. Currently, I am still not feeling well, and it's been more than a month since my incident. Currently, I am taking magnesium oxide tablets, 400 mg. This has “scared me straight,” although it's one day at a time in actuality. Never, ever do illegal drugs of any kind because you never know if you will live through it.

Comment from: jennybelle123, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: January 10

I was sick to my stomach and had a severe headache for a whole day. I went to the ER and they said I had a bladder infection and sent me home on the antibiotic called Cypro. After taking that for a few days, I felt worse. I had an aching pain in my lower back and a feeling of being extremely full in my stomach and chest area, as well as rapid heartbeats. Went back to ER and had a blood test and MRI w/dye and found out the dye is not good for kidneys. My kidneys were functioning at 23. They should be around 60 and that at that point I was in kidney failure. I was admitted to the hosp and put on intravenous fluids to flush my kidneys and hydrate, and antibiotics for 4 days. By the 5th day, they dropped the fluids and said I could go home since my levels were getting better each day. I did not have to go on dialysis. Currently working with a kidney specialist and getting more blood work and urine tests done in a couple of weeks to check for protein levels, etc. Hopefully everything will be fine.

Comment from: Cc C, 65-74 (Caregiver) Published: February 06

My mom is suffering from kidney failure and has pretty much given up. She is morbidly obese, diabetic, asthmatic, her swelling is severe, and she can't walk to the bathroom by herself. The doctor says she can go either way but she has to want to get better. He says that she will need to lose a minimum of 100 pounds if she wants to improve, but she refuses to eat the low sodium and low fat foods. She basically just wants to lie in bed and die while eating potato chips and french fries. My father is in denial and thinks she is going to magically walk out of her bedroom one day. My sisters and I are fighting because everyone thinks they know better. I just don't know what to do anymore. It is so terrible.

Comment from: frontman, 75 or over Female (Caregiver) Published: January 07

My 90 year old mom has kidney failure of some point. She had loss of appetite tired all the time. While in the hospital she had a mild heart attack the doctors said there's nothing more they can do. Now she's eating better and drinking more water.

Kidney Failure - Symptoms Question: The symptoms of kidney failure can vary greatly from patient to patient. What were your symptoms at the onset of your disease?
Kidney Failure - Diet Question: What changes have you made to your diet since you were diagnosed with kidney failure?
Kidney Failure - Diagnosis Question: Describe the events and tests that led to a diagnosis of kidney failure.
Kidney Failure - Dialysis Question: What is it like to receive dialysis? Please share your experience.