Patient Comments: Kidney Failure - Symptoms

The symptoms of kidney failure can vary greatly from patient to patient. What were your symptoms at the onset of your disease?

Comment from: Miamiof18, 55-64 Female (Caregiver) Published: July 11

My husband had acute kidney failure do to the use of ibuprofen plus drinking beer. He is now on the mend and can never take ibuprofen again and has also quit drinking beer. He had severe leg and back pain and a very hard time breathing when he was diagnosed.

Comment from: Tammy, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 10

My kidneys are functioning at 15%. They have stabilized and I am hoping they do not get worse. My symptoms in hindsight was being cold all the time and extremely fatigued. I had gastric bypass in 2010 and that is what caused my kidney failure. Hard to explain the exact reasons, but this was diagnosed by my nephrologist. Something to do with the small intestine not releasing the poison from my body. And this caused my kidneys to not be able to filter appropriately. This is a very rare occurrence after gastric bypass. I would probably do it again! But would hope my kidneys would not fail! I had my bypass converted to the "sleeve" weight loss surgery. And, I have received iron infusions for my anemia. I feel really good and energetic now!

Comment from: kathym., 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: November 21

I am in Stage 3. Stages 1 and 2 didn't cause any symptoms that I recognized. I have other problems, too, such as early stage of RA (rheumatoid arthritis), and herniated discs in my lower back, which might have hidden them. I found out because I had high blood pressure and kidney stones and they found it during a routine blood test. I have extreme thirst, keep a 32 oz. large drinking cup of water by the bed and water with me at all times. I am especially thirsty when I walk for a long time. I have had top of my feet swollen but I also have tenosynovitis and don't know if CKD (chronic kidney disease) caused it. I have been more tired lately.

Comment from: Elise, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 28

I have only lethargy; I feel sleepy and am sleeping a lot. My GFR (Glomerular filtration rate) is 38 and my creatinine is high. These two are the symptoms that something is wrong. I was diagnosed after biopsy due to blood in urine 15 years ago with benign thin membrane familial syndrome (not sure of this name, but recently explained to me.) My renal specialist finally told me that my tissues lack collagen, a DNA problem that may or may not be causing this symptoms as the condition does not always lead to any problems. This is the second episode. Two years ago, probably due to dye I was hospitalized with kidney failure from which I recovered to my stage 3 normal (for me.) Wish I could find more on my condition. I didn't realize the condition affects all parts of body.

Comment from: Johan, 75 or over Male (Patient) Published: November 04

Many years ago I was diagnosed with low blood iron. Iron injections did not change levels very much. Bone scans showed plenty of iron in the bones, but not in the blood itself. Years later and after many kidney stones (left side only) my blood pressure was about 190 over 90. Coversyl reduced that and now it is about 130 over 64. I have been told I have congestive heart failure. I have a pacemaker installed. Last year I played 120 rounds of golf and this year only 6. I am tired most of the time and cannot sleep flat in a bed. I suffer from severe edema. That started earlier this year when my weight went to about 210 pounds from a normal 185. I hyperventilate a lot. Water pills have reduced my weight without reducing the edema. I have problems with my balance and the shakes. Still I get things done and care for my 93 year old wife.

Comment from: hamd, 19-24 Male (Caregiver) Published: October 21

My blood urea and creatinine are very high, first time I had the lab test. I have a wound on feet since a week and it is bleeding and there is a lot of pus. Dressing is done daily. Hb is 7.8 percentage and the doctor suggested scanning, which is showing that the kidney size is small. I have no other related problems.

Kidney Failure - Treatment Question: What kinds of treatment did you or a relative receive for kidney failure?
Kidney Failure - Diet Question: What changes have you made to your diet since you were diagnosed with kidney failure?
Kidney Failure - Diagnosis Question: Describe the events and tests that led to a diagnosis of kidney failure.
Kidney Failure - Dialysis Question: What is it like to receive dialysis? Please share your experience.