Patient Comments: Kidney Failure - Symptoms

The symptoms of kidney failure can vary greatly from patient to patient. What were your symptoms at the onset of your disease?

Comment from: Tammy, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 10

My kidneys are functioning at 15%. They have stabilized and I am hoping they do not get worse. My symptoms in hindsight was being cold all the time and extremely fatigued. I had gastric bypass in 2010 and that is what caused my kidney failure. Hard to explain the exact reasons, but this was diagnosed by my nephrologist. Something to do with the small intestine not releasing the poison from my body. And this caused my kidneys to not be able to filter appropriately. This is a very rare occurrence after gastric bypass. I would probably do it again! But would hope my kidneys would not fail! I had my bypass converted to the "sleeve" weight loss surgery. And, I have received iron infusions for my anemia. I feel really good and energetic now!

Comment from: kathym., 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: November 21

I am in Stage 3. Stages 1 and 2 didn't cause any symptoms that I recognized. I have other problems, too, such as early stage of RA (rheumatoid arthritis), and herniated discs in my lower back, which might have hidden them. I found out because I had high blood pressure and kidney stones and they found it during a routine blood test. I have extreme thirst, keep a 32 oz. large drinking cup of water by the bed and water with me at all times. I am especially thirsty when I walk for a long time. I have had top of my feet swollen but I also have tenosynovitis and don't know if CKD (chronic kidney disease) caused it. I have been more tired lately.

Comment from: Elise, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 28

I have only lethargy; I feel sleepy and am sleeping a lot. My GFR (Glomerular filtration rate) is 38 and my creatinine is high. These two are the symptoms that something is wrong. I was diagnosed after biopsy due to blood in urine 15 years ago with benign thin membrane familial syndrome (not sure of this name, but recently explained to me.) My renal specialist finally told me that my tissues lack collagen, a DNA problem that may or may not be causing this symptoms as the condition does not always lead to any problems. This is the second episode. Two years ago, probably due to dye I was hospitalized with kidney failure from which I recovered to my stage 3 normal (for me.) Wish I could find more on my condition. I didn't realize the condition affects all parts of body.

Comment from: awor43, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: March 21

I found out about my kidney disease two years ago when I had a scare with my heart and they did tests in the emergency room. Since then, I have been under the care of a nephrologist. I am in stage 3 moderate kidney disease. I assume my symptoms are a side effect of the disease. I feel like I have the flu and am cold most of the time and. When I take my temperature, it is normal. I feel sort of dizzy, have a loss of appetite, food doesn't have any taste, I have shortness of breath, no energy, and am nauseous. I do not know what caused this problem, but I will do everything I can to control it if possible.

Comment from: Joe76, 19-24 Male (Patient) Published: September 12

I'm 24 years old I had kidney transplant about 2 years ago and first diagnosed when I was 20. They couldn't figure out what caused it but they guessed it was iga nephropathy (own immune system attacking your kidneys). When I first got sick I really thought it was a normal cold. I had a fever, was sneezing, nose running, etc. Then it got worst to where I was throwing up, had blood coming out in spits, vomit, urine, etc. Then it became really hard to breath and I couldn't lay down anymore as it would cause me to suffocate. I ended in the hospital and was put to sleep. When I woke up they told me both my kidneys failed and liquid was pushed up to my lungs which filled up and was causing me to suffocate. I don't want to scare anyone but to learn from my mistake of not going to the hospital for about 3 weeks after I first got the cold like symptoms. Go get a check up even if you think it is a cold!

Comment from: Kelly, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: May 13

I received two shots of Prolia and it attacked my kidneys. I was in stage 4 but with diet now I am in stage 3B.

Kidney Failure - Treatment Question: What kinds of treatment did you or a relative receive for kidney failure?
Kidney Failure - Diet Question: What changes have you made to your diet since you were diagnosed with kidney failure?
Kidney Failure - Diagnosis Question: Describe the events and tests that led to a diagnosis of kidney failure.
Kidney Failure - Dialysis Question: What is it like to receive dialysis? Please share your experience.