Patient Comments: Kidney Failure - Symptoms

The symptoms of kidney failure can vary greatly from patient to patient. What were your symptoms at the onset of your disease?

Published: July 14

I had a bad infection, so my doctor put me on an IV antibiotic at home. A few days later, my legs began to swell very bad. Also, I was vomiting, had chills all the time, and had periods of convulsions a few times. I have never felt so horrible in my life. I gained almost 20 pounds and it all seemed to remain in my lower body (legs, feet and abdomen). Currently, I am beginning classes on living with kidney failure as well as having my family and close friends searching for a living kidney donor.

Published: July 08

Since 1999 have had yearly stent changes in my ureter which have caused kidneys to worsen over the years. Started having pain yesterday in the area of my left kidney and Ibuprophen (4 tabs 2X daily) is not working. Pain returns after a few minutes. I have my annual physical tomorrow and will have the doc check it further (blood work done Saturday). Hopefully creatinine level was checked.

Published: June 27

I had over time lost my appetite and became more and more winded. I could walk shorter and shorter distances. I was constantly panting and became very confused, and had great pain in my sides and was taken to the emergency room where they told me I had complete kidney failure and had just gotten there in time. I am now in treatment and trying to coax them back to life.

Published: June 23

I was always full of energy and a very out going woman until I was shocked with my hemoglobin dropping to 7 in my first pregnancy then going to 9 after delivery. The doctors did all kind of tests: blood, urine, ultrasound and even two bone marrow aspirations searching for any kind of disease or cancer. Their conclusion was that maybe my body is just like that. After one year when I started to feel more tired, had no energy to do anything and had an irritating feeling of pressure in my hands, I went again to see a doctor that immediately requested a kidney function blood test and ultrasound. She called me the next day to tell me I had stage 4 kidney disease.

Published: June 17

I had been anemic for about 7 yrs but doctors did not find out why because they were giving me all sorts of tests using dye (harms kidneys) because they thought I had cancer of the stomach, lungs or some other organ in my body. When they did not find it they gave up. I eventually became so fatigued I had to quit my job. I had a very unpleasant heart beat at times-too fast or skipping beats & itching all over my body. The doctor didn't believe me because there was no rash. Kidney disease is overlooked by the medical profession!

Published: June 17

I discovered my kidney disease by coincidence. My kidney disease is in stage 2 level. Symptoms start appearing only in later stages. I would say always get your selves diagnosed. Especially for blood pressure & sugar. Luckily, I became aware of my disease. One day I had some food infection due to food I had outside. My B.P. was high. I was cured in 2 days. My B.P. remained high for this period. Then my doc asked me to get my B.P. checked for a week. We then noticed that I was a high B.P. patient. Then he asked me to get my kidney scanned too & get a renal function blood test. We then came to know that I was suffering from the stage 2 renal disease. This was because of the ongoing high B.P. I am 31 yrs old now. This was diagnosed just 18 months before. I had a baby. She is healthy & me too.

Published: June 13

I used to get dizzy and sick to my stomach all the time after I ate. Also, my leg was always itching.

Published: June 09

Before I was diagnosed with kidney failure I was tired I felt like I had the flu and no energy at all.

Kidney Failure - Treatment Question: What kinds of treatment did you or a relative receive for kidney failure?
Kidney Failure - Diet Question: What changes have you made to your diet since you were diagnosed with kidney failure?
Kidney Failure - Diagnosis Question: Describe the events and tests that led to a diagnosis of kidney failure.
Kidney Failure - Dialysis Question: What is it like to receive dialysis? Please share your experience.