Patient Comments: Kidney Failure - Symptoms

The symptoms of kidney failure can vary greatly from patient to patient. What were your symptoms at the onset of your disease?

Comment from: forhim, Male (Patient) Published: September 04

I lost my right kidney to cancer in 2007. Now I am told my left kidney is failing. My kidney failure symptoms were constant light- to-moderate pain at first, then profuse sweating, very weak, and shortness of breath.

Comment from: flammingstar, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: August 22

I find it is hard to go, sometimes it feels like my whole insides are trying to come out. On tissue there is blood and small blood clots (I have had my uterus removed). Sometimes my urine looks bloody almost brown, it does not do this all the time, but sometimes it hurts so bad I'll go try and nothing will come except the pain. I have pain in my back and because this does not happen all the time my doctor has not seen the blood. Although I am loosing blood somewhere because I am anemic and have to take iron pills. Is there any test that you would recommend?

Comment from: Gibson, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: August 08

I'm 37 years old and in stage 4 of chronic kidney failure. I was recently put on nine different medications and my kidney function is 25%. As soon as it drops to 20%, I will be placed on the donor list. I have gout and maybe lupus. I have a lot of pain in my legs, feet, back and shoulders, and I'm tired all the time. My family and friends are getting tested right now. We hope I will find a match soon, so I can avoid dialysis.

Published: July 29

When my kidney stopped functioning, I was having abdominal pains, so my doctor suspected it was something wrong with my gall bladder. An ultrasound found kidney stones. A subsequent CT scan showed an extremely enlarged kidney, and the doctors recommended removal. In hindsight, I was fatigued and had incessant itching on small spots on my hands (with no apparent rash). Without the abdominal pain, I may not have discovered the kidney failure until infection or sepsis set in.

Published: July 23

My husband had kidney failure due to polycystic kidney disease. While ill, he had severe fatigue, some pain, loss of appetite, anemia and eventually, congestive heart failure. He had a living donor transplant nine months ago. Before his transplant, they removed one of his very large, diseased kidneys. As a result of one of the diseased kidneys being removed and the transplant, he no longer has any of those symptoms. He still has one diseased kidney and is still trying to control his blood pressure, but he's feeling generally quite well. There is hope.

Published: July 23

When I had kidney failure, I had puffy eyes, my eyelids were twitching on their own, and I was urinating constantly around menstruation time or leading up to my period. I was also retaining loads of water and gaining weight around that time. I felt weak, my knees began to hurt, I had lower back discomfort, and I was extremely cold when entering places with air conditioning. I was dizzy sometimes, especially at night when lying down. My hair was breaking constantly, I was sleepy constantly, and I had no energy.

Published: July 16

HI i got kidney problem but when i went to checkup the doc said it normal and i when to c another doc he said my kidney is spoil... n i got blood and protien in my urine(potasiums)so can u explain to me about it

Kidney Failure - Treatment Question: What kinds of treatment did you or a relative receive for kidney failure?
Kidney Failure - Diet Question: What changes have you made to your diet since you were diagnosed with kidney failure?
Kidney Failure - Diagnosis Question: Describe the events and tests that led to a diagnosis of kidney failure.
Kidney Failure - Dialysis Question: What is it like to receive dialysis? Please share your experience.