Patient Comments: Kidney Failure - Symptoms

The symptoms of kidney failure can vary greatly from patient to patient. What were your symptoms at the onset of your disease?

Comment from: Kelly, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: May 13

I received two shots of Prolia and it attacked my kidneys. I was in stage 4 but with diet now I am in stage 3B.

Comment from: Ruth, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: May 09

I was extremely tired before the kidney failure. Blood test revealed HCT level of 32.6 and Hgb at 10.4.

Comment from: bontro, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: March 26

I had severe pain running up and down the right of abdomen and pain in the neck. I couldn"t stand up, it was too painful.

Comment from: Charwill, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: August 20

I was diagnosed about three years ago with stage 3 kidney failure. I had no signs that I was aware of as I also have congestive heart failure since 1995. Now, I have itching all over my body, excessive sweating, pain in back, neck, shoulders and legs, as well as increased ankle swelling.

Comment from: carrieshepherd, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: August 20

I didn't have any symptoms. I went in for a stomach ache and they found a growth on my only working kidney. I was born with just one kidney and it is working at 5%. I am working on getting put on a transplant list.

Comment from: Jasmin, 13-18 Female (Patient) Published: August 08

I am 18 years old. After going to the er for something else, I presented with Kidney disease symptoms, after getting some tests my doctors said I had kidney failure. Its scary to think that the symptoms were pretty much non existent to me.

Comment from: meltnorm, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 28

I did not realize I had quit urinating until my husband and I went on a long road trip. I didn't feel the need to stop to urinate at all. Thinking back, I was very nauseous, vomiting, and had horrible leg cramps. On the fourth day, I went to the ER and was admitted to the ICU. After five dialysis treatments I was on the road to recovery. I now measure my output just to be sure.

Comment from: forhim, Male (Patient) Published: September 04

I lost my right kidney to cancer in 2007. Now I am told my left kidney is failing. My kidney failure symptoms were constant light- to-moderate pain at first, then profuse sweating, very weak, and shortness of breath.

Comment from: flammingstar, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: August 22

I find it is hard to go, sometimes it feels like my whole insides are trying to come out. On tissue there is blood and small blood clots (I have had my uterus removed). Sometimes my urine looks bloody almost brown, it does not do this all the time, but sometimes it hurts so bad I'll go try and nothing will come except the pain. I have pain in my back and because this does not happen all the time my doctor has not seen the blood. Although I am loosing blood somewhere because I am anemic and have to take iron pills. Is there any test that you would recommend?

Kidney Failure - Treatment Question: What kinds of treatment did you or a relative receive for kidney failure?
Kidney Failure - Diet Question: What changes have you made to your diet since you were diagnosed with kidney failure?
Kidney Failure - Diagnosis Question: Describe the events and tests that led to a diagnosis of kidney failure.
Kidney Failure - Dialysis Question: What is it like to receive dialysis? Please share your experience.