Patient Comments: Kidney Failure - Symptoms

The symptoms of kidney failure can vary greatly from patient to patient. What were your symptoms at the onset of your disease?

Comment from: Gibson, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: August 08

I'm 37 years old and in stage 4 of chronic kidney failure. I was recently put on nine different medications and my kidney function is 25%. As soon as it drops to 20%, I will be placed on the donor list. I have gout and maybe lupus. I have a lot of pain in my legs, feet, back and shoulders, and I'm tired all the time. My family and friends are getting tested right now. We hope I will find a match soon, so I can avoid dialysis.

Published: July 29

When my kidney stopped functioning, I was having abdominal pains, so my doctor suspected it was something wrong with my gall bladder. An ultrasound found kidney stones. A subsequent CT scan showed an extremely enlarged kidney, and the doctors recommended removal. In hindsight, I was fatigued and had incessant itching on small spots on my hands (with no apparent rash). Without the abdominal pain, I may not have discovered the kidney failure until infection or sepsis set in.

Published: July 23

My husband had kidney failure due to polycystic kidney disease. While ill, he had severe fatigue, some pain, loss of appetite, anemia and eventually, congestive heart failure. He had a living donor transplant nine months ago. Before his transplant, they removed one of his very large, diseased kidneys. As a result of one of the diseased kidneys being removed and the transplant, he no longer has any of those symptoms. He still has one diseased kidney and is still trying to control his blood pressure, but he's feeling generally quite well. There is hope.

Published: July 23

When I had kidney failure, I had puffy eyes, my eyelids were twitching on their own, and I was urinating constantly around menstruation time or leading up to my period. I was also retaining loads of water and gaining weight around that time. I felt weak, my knees began to hurt, I had lower back discomfort, and I was extremely cold when entering places with air conditioning. I was dizzy sometimes, especially at night when lying down. My hair was breaking constantly, I was sleepy constantly, and I had no energy.

Published: July 16

HI i got kidney problem but when i went to checkup the doc said it normal and i when to c another doc he said my kidney is spoil... n i got blood and protien in my urine(potasiums)so can u explain to me about it

Published: July 14

Because I was getting older, I went in for blood work for a surgery and all my blood work was out of whack. My blood pressure was very high. My doctor put me on water pills and blood pressure medicine. Three months later, I was swelling and sleeping 14 to 16 hours a day. I had no energy. I went back to the doctor, and they took many tests. No one had taken a urine test, so I asked for one. I had protein in my urine, so they sent me to a kidney doctor. They tried many things in 18 months to try to keep me from dialysis, but nothing worked. A year and a half later, they put me on dialysis. I have been on it since February of 2008. I feel better then I did, but I wish that I would have started dialysis before I got so bad. They took 37 pounds of fluid off of me in a very short time. I am trying to get on a kidney transplant list.

Published: July 14

I had a bad infection, so my doctor put me on an IV antibiotic at home. A few days later, my legs began to swell very bad. Also, I was vomiting, had chills all the time, and had periods of convulsions a few times. I have never felt so horrible in my life. I gained almost 20 pounds and it all seemed to remain in my lower body (legs, feet and abdomen). Currently, I am beginning classes on living with kidney failure as well as having my family and close friends searching for a living kidney donor.

Kidney Failure - Treatment Question: What kinds of treatment did you or a relative receive for kidney failure?
Kidney Failure - Diet Question: What changes have you made to your diet since you were diagnosed with kidney failure?
Kidney Failure - Diagnosis Question: Describe the events and tests that led to a diagnosis of kidney failure.
Kidney Failure - Dialysis Question: What is it like to receive dialysis? Please share your experience.