Patient Comments: Kidney Failure - Symptoms

The symptoms of kidney failure can vary greatly from patient to patient. What were your symptoms at the onset of your disease?

Comment from: Terri, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: June 02

I have stage 4 renal failure. This last December I had surgery on an emergency basis as my colon burst open and I had infection in my abdomen. My doctor said, I won't qualify for a kidney transplant, as I have hepatitis C along with HIV. To me that really shouldn't make that much difference, but it will.

Comment from: TEFO, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: October 03

I have lost weight and have smelly urine. My doctor says they are leaking proteins and only advised that I drink lots of water but I continue to lose weight. I am concerned that I have kidney disease.

Comment from: Falin, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: July 17

I've been having issues using the bathroom, seems like it is aggravated more with potatoes, pasta, cheese or rice. I have extreme pain in my left side to the spine and now recently my spine hurts like I have a slipped disc. When I use the bathroom the pain isn't as severe afterwards... they say I have diverticulitis but somehow now after taking lots of ibuprofen and antibiotics in the last 3 months I believe it may be my kidneys. Reading most of these posts, the symptoms are almost the same as theirs. I'm on the heating pad a lot and after reading these posts will bring it to my doctor's attention.

Comment from: awor43, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: March 21

I found out about my kidney disease two years ago when I had a scare with my heart and they did tests in the emergency room. Since then, I have been under the care of a nephrologist. I am in stage 3 moderate kidney disease. I assume my symptoms are a side effect of the disease. I feel like I have the flu and am cold most of the time and. When I take my temperature, it is normal. I feel sort of dizzy, have a loss of appetite, food doesn't have any taste, I have shortness of breath, no energy, and am nauseous. I do not know what caused this problem, but I will do everything I can to control it if possible.

Comment from: Joe76, 19-24 Male (Patient) Published: September 12

I'm 24 years old I had kidney transplant about 2 years ago and first diagnosed when I was 20. They couldn't figure out what caused it but they guessed it was iga nephropathy (own immune system attacking your kidneys). When I first got sick I really thought it was a normal cold. I had a fever, was sneezing, nose running, etc. Then it got worst to where I was throwing up, had blood coming out in spits, vomit, urine, etc. Then it became really hard to breath and I couldn't lay down anymore as it would cause me to suffocate. I ended in the hospital and was put to sleep. When I woke up they told me both my kidneys failed and liquid was pushed up to my lungs which filled up and was causing me to suffocate. I don't want to scare anyone but to learn from my mistake of not going to the hospital for about 3 weeks after I first got the cold like symptoms. Go get a check up even if you think it is a cold!

Published: June 23

My kidney failure was discovered by accident through routine blood work at the time of my yearly physical. The first red flag was a high potassium level on two different blood draws over a two month period of time. I had observed several symptoms of which I am only now aware, and it is my hope that by sharing these, someone may decide to seek medical advice. The first symptom oddly enough was an "itchy back," another one was simply an “ill feeling” -- not being very hungry – sweating -- breathlessness -- a rapid heart rate -- and discomfort (pain) in the location of the left kidney. These "symptoms” did not appear all at once or I would have run to the doctor. They came independently, and so it was difficult to attach it to anything concrete. I now know that all of these are symptoms of chronic kidney failure. It is vital to be informed and educated. Be a water drinker. I did not hydrate myself ever. Now I try to love my kidneys. They do massive amounts of work for me and all they want is a drink of water.

Comment from: Kelly, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: May 13

I received two shots of Prolia and it attacked my kidneys. I was in stage 4 but with diet now I am in stage 3B.

Kidney Failure - Treatment Question: What kinds of treatment did you or a relative receive for kidney failure?
Kidney Failure - Diet Question: What changes have you made to your diet since you were diagnosed with kidney failure?
Kidney Failure - Diagnosis Question: Describe the events and tests that led to a diagnosis of kidney failure.
Kidney Failure - Dialysis Question: What is it like to receive dialysis? Please share your experience.