Patient Comments: Kidney Failure - Symptoms

The symptoms of kidney failure can vary greatly from patient to patient. What were your symptoms at the onset of your disease?

Comment from: hamd, 19-24 Male (Caregiver) Published: October 21

My blood urea and creatinine are very high, first time I had the lab test. I have a wound on feet since a week and it is bleeding and there is a lot of pus. Dressing is done daily. Hb is 7.8 percentage and the doctor suggested scanning, which is showing that the kidney size is small. I have no other related problems.

Comment from: amyada19, 13-18 Female (Caregiver) Published: September 15

My son went in for a doctor's appointment for an injury during hockey. Just to be safe they ran blood work. After many additional tests they found out that he is in stage 4 kidney failure. He has been put on the transplant list and we are waiting for a donor. He is currently at 18 GFR (glomerular filtration rate).

Comment from: Johan, 75 or over Male (Patient) Published: November 04

Many years ago I was diagnosed with low blood iron. Iron injections did not change levels very much. Bone scans showed plenty of iron in the bones, but not in the blood itself. Years later and after many kidney stones (left side only) my blood pressure was about 190 over 90. Coversyl reduced that and now it is about 130 over 64. I have been told I have congestive heart failure. I have a pacemaker installed. Last year I played 120 rounds of golf and this year only 6. I am tired most of the time and cannot sleep flat in a bed. I suffer from severe edema. That started earlier this year when my weight went to about 210 pounds from a normal 185. I hyperventilate a lot. Water pills have reduced my weight without reducing the edema. I have problems with my balance and the shakes. Still I get things done and care for my 93 year old wife.

Comment from: Falin, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: July 17

I've been having issues using the bathroom, seems like it is aggravated more with potatoes, pasta, cheese or rice. I have extreme pain in my left side to the spine and now recently my spine hurts like I have a slipped disc. When I use the bathroom the pain isn't as severe afterwards... they say I have diverticulitis but somehow now after taking lots of ibuprofen and antibiotics in the last 3 months I believe it may be my kidneys. Reading most of these posts, the symptoms are almost the same as theirs. I'm on the heating pad a lot and after reading these posts will bring it to my doctor's attention.

Comment from: awor43, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: March 21

I found out about my kidney disease two years ago when I had a scare with my heart and they did tests in the emergency room. Since then, I have been under the care of a nephrologist. I am in stage 3 moderate kidney disease. I assume my symptoms are a side effect of the disease. I feel like I have the flu and am cold most of the time and. When I take my temperature, it is normal. I feel sort of dizzy, have a loss of appetite, food doesn't have any taste, I have shortness of breath, no energy, and am nauseous. I do not know what caused this problem, but I will do everything I can to control it if possible.

Comment from: Joe76, 19-24 Male (Patient) Published: September 12

I'm 24 years old I had kidney transplant about 2 years ago and first diagnosed when I was 20. They couldn't figure out what caused it but they guessed it was iga nephropathy (own immune system attacking your kidneys). When I first got sick I really thought it was a normal cold. I had a fever, was sneezing, nose running, etc. Then it got worst to where I was throwing up, had blood coming out in spits, vomit, urine, etc. Then it became really hard to breath and I couldn't lay down anymore as it would cause me to suffocate. I ended in the hospital and was put to sleep. When I woke up they told me both my kidneys failed and liquid was pushed up to my lungs which filled up and was causing me to suffocate. I don't want to scare anyone but to learn from my mistake of not going to the hospital for about 3 weeks after I first got the cold like symptoms. Go get a check up even if you think it is a cold!

Kidney Failure - Treatment Question: What kinds of treatment did you or a relative receive for kidney failure?
Kidney Failure - Diet Question: What changes have you made to your diet since you were diagnosed with kidney failure?
Kidney Failure - Diagnosis Question: Describe the events and tests that led to a diagnosis of kidney failure.
Kidney Failure - Dialysis Question: What is it like to receive dialysis? Please share your experience.