Kidney Disease (Hypertension-Related) Index
High blood pressure can damage the kidneys and is one of the leading causes of kidney failure (end-stage renal kidney disease). Kidney damage, like hypertension, can be unnoticeable and detected only through medical tests. If you have kidney disease, you should control your blood pressure. Other treatment options include prescription medications.
Patient Discussions - Viewers share their comments
Kidney failure can occur from an acute event or a chronic condition or disease. Prerenal kidney failure is caused by blood loss,...learn more »
Kidney pain has a variety of causes and symptoms. Infection, injury, trauma, bleeding disorders,
kidney stones, and less common...learn more »
Ascites, the accumulation of fluid in the abdominal cavity is most commonly caused by cirrhosis of the liver. Some of the other...learn more »
In This Article
- Ascites Facts
- What is ascites?
- What causes ascites?
- What are the types of ascites?
- What are the risk factors for ascites?
- What are the symptoms of ascites?
- When should I call my doctor about ascites?
- How is ascites diagnosed?
- What is the treatment for ascites?
- What are the complications of ascites?
- Can ascites be prevented?
- What is the outlook (prognosis) for ascites?
Edema is the swelling of tissues as a result of excess water accumulation. Peripheral edema occurs in the feet and legs. There...learn more »
In This Article
- Edema definition and facts
- What is edema?
- What is pitting edema and how does it differ from non-pitting edema?
- What is a pitting edema measurement scale?
- What does pitting edema look like (picture)?
- What causes pitting edema?
- Does salt intake affect edema?
- What causes edema during pregnancy?
- What kind of doctors treat edema?
- Why does a person with heart disease retain fluid?
- Why do people with liver disease develop ascites and edema?
- Why do people with kidney disease have pitting edema?
- What causes pitting edema by heavy loss of protein in the urine?
- What medications treat pitting edema caused by heavy loss of protein in the urine?
- What causes pitting edema in people with impaired kidney (renal) function?
- What is idiopathic edema?
- What is the treatment for idiopathic edema?
- What is the treatment for patients with idiopathic edema who have become dependent on diuretics?
- How does venous insufficiency cause edema?
- Which diuretics are used to treat edema?
- Do people taking diuretics need a diet high in potassium?
- Are diuretics used for other diseases or conditions?
Pulmonary edema (swelling or fluid in the lungs) can either be caused by cardiogenic causes (congestive heart failure, heart...learn more »
In This Article
Pulmonary Edema Article
- Pulmonary edema facts
- What is pulmonary edema?
- What causes pulmonary edema?
- What are the risk factors for pulmonary edema?
- What are the symptoms of pulmonary edema?
- When should I seek medical care for pulmonary edema?
- How is pulmonary edema diagnosed?
- What is the treatment for pulmonary edema?
- What are the complications of pulmonary edema?
- How can pulmonary edema be prevented?