Patient Comments: Kidney Cancer - Symptoms

What were your symptoms of kidney cancer?

Comment from: Euni, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: April 21

I had frequent bladder infection for many years; in 2012 I also had soreness in my fishtail. My doctor ordered a sonogram, and saw a large mass in my right kidney. She sent me to a urologist, who did a CT scan, etc., and scheduled the kidney removal in February. 2013. The tumor was 6.7 cm, contained in the kidney with no cancer cells within 1/2 inch from removal, so no chemotherapy was ordered. They did a CT scan in the fall of 2013. In the fall of 2014, my family doctor ordered a CT scan, found a mass in left kidney, and then referred me to an oncologist. A PET scan was done; I was diagnosed with stage four cancer. I have several questions as to why I wasn't given chemotherapy, why I wasn't referred to the oncologist, and most of all, why I didn't seek second or third opinions! I trusted the urologist too much!

Comment from: Linda, Female (Patient) Published: April 21

When I was 51, I went for a routine colonoscopy. The doctor couldn't perform the test so he scheduled a CT scan with contrast to see if there was a reason why he couldn't get the scope through. Instead, they found a tumor on my right kidney, 8 cm. I had a right nephrectomy 3 weeks later. Once the cancer was found, some symptoms I had been having made sense. My blood pressure was usually low (106/60). I had been to the doctor for routine checkup and it was 120/80. I also went to the gym and easily did 4 miles on the treadmill. Suddenly, I couldn't bear to even move on the treadmill and was wondering why. I also had such fatigue, like early stages of pregnancy, at around 7:00 at night. I also had some vague pain in my lower back when I lay down. The cancer was found 5 months after the symptoms. It would have been a long time before those symptoms brought me to a doctor.

Comment from: Bob, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: September 22

I had no pain, just one time only bloody urine. It turned out to be cancer in both kidneys. The left one was removed and half of the right was removed. Since then it has metastasized to the right elbow, which was surgically removed. Then it metastasized to the left femur, also reconstructed. I have been in stage 4 for 3.5 years.

Comment from: Sharon, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: March 17

In 2009 when I was 39 I had pain in my right side so I went for a scan to find out I had a tumor in my left kidney. I baffled the doctors as I didn't have any symptoms and didn't fit into the category for kidney cancer. I don't drink, don't smoke, don't take any medication, and am not over weight. I had my operation to remove my whole kidney but got left paralyzed from the operation going wrong. But it doesn't matter as I am still me and alive to look after my 4 children.

Comment from: cmae, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: August 01

I am 65 years old. I had night sweats, anemia (which doctors attributed to coincidental gastrointestinal bleed), increasing fatigue (doctors attributed to anemia), loss of appetite, and 50 lb. unintentional weight loss. My gastroenterologist finally decided he wanted CT scans, and after Medicare put up a month long fight about that, I was diagnosed with a 10 cm renal carcinoma. I had my kidney removed. I am gaining weight back quickly (darn it!) but am just happy to be among the living. It's been a year, so far so good.

Comment from: JTW142, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: March 25

I was just notified that during a CAT scan of my abdominal cavity, the radiologist noticed several cysts in my right kidney. He further noticed that I have an 8 mm mass that he called a possible tumor by the cysts. Not sure what to do from here.

Kidney Cancer - Prognosis Question: What is the prognosis for your kidney cancer?
Kidney Cancer - Treatment Question: What was the treatment for your kidney cancer?
Kidney Cancer - Risk Factors Question: Did you have any risk factors for kidney cancer?
Kidney Cancer - Diagnosis Question: How was your kidney cancer diagnosed?
Kidney Cancer - Follow-up Care Question: What type of follow-up care have you, a friend, or relative received for kidney cancer?
Kidney Cancer - Renal Cell Carcinoma Question: Please share your experience with renal cell carcinoma.