Patient Comments: Kidney Cancer - Symptoms

What were your symptoms of kidney cancer?

Comment from: Bob, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: September 22

I had no pain, just one time only bloody urine. It turned out to be cancer in both kidneys. The left one was removed and half of the right was removed. Since then it has metastasized to the right elbow, which was surgically removed. Then it metastasized to the left femur, also reconstructed. I have been in stage 4 for 3.5 years.

Comment from: Sharon, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: March 17

In 2009 when I was 39 I had pain in my right side so I went for a scan to find out I had a tumor in my left kidney. I baffled the doctors as I didn't have any symptoms and didn't fit into the category for kidney cancer. I don't drink, don't smoke, don't take any medication, and am not over weight. I had my operation to remove my whole kidney but got left paralyzed from the operation going wrong. But it doesn't matter as I am still me and alive to look after my 4 children.

Comment from: cmae, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: August 01

I am 65 years old. I had night sweats, anemia (which doctors attributed to coincidental gastrointestinal bleed), increasing fatigue (doctors attributed to anemia), loss of appetite, and 50 lb. unintentional weight loss. My gastroenterologist finally decided he wanted CT scans, and after Medicare put up a month long fight about that, I was diagnosed with a 10 cm renal carcinoma. I had my kidney removed. I am gaining weight back quickly (darn it!) but am just happy to be among the living. It's been a year, so far so good.

Comment from: Janeen, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: June 17

After several months of nausea and bloating and lots of feeling of pulling on my right groin and hip, I went to the doctor and they found a large mass on my right kidney, 12 cm. It had taken over the kidney. I was diagnosed with renal cell carcinoma (RCC) and had radical right nephrectomy and adrenal surgery. Very painful, but after the tumor was sent for testing they decided it wasn't cancer but a benign tumor called oncocytoma. I have been very pleased with my recovery!

Comment from: travlermjw, 65-74 Male (Caregiver) Published: March 18

My husband, age 71, had a partial nephrectomy 5 weeks ago and is doing great. The tumor margins were clear for clear cell carcinoma, but it had invaded the paranephric fat on top of the kidney. That was removed also and that is all the treatment he will get. The doctor said he will have a CT scan in June followed by every three month checkups including chest x-ray, blood work etc. The one thing I wanted to mention which is never mentioned in regard to kidney cancer is the foul odor of the urine. Before it was discovered accidentally that he had blood in his urine, we both noticed a very rancid odor to his urine. We mentioned this to the doctor but was poo-pooed and told that it was nothing without even checking him out. We mentioned this one year before his actual diagnosis of kidney cancer. Guess what, there is no odor since he had the surgery. Good luck everyone!

Comment from: mismuffet2002, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: August 21

I had kidney cancer last year and the left kidney was removed. I follow up with scans every 6 months. My back hurt and I had blood in my urine. I had a car accident where a lady hit my truck from the back. This is when they did a scan at the hospital to find the cancer.

Comment from: tuppertea, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: June 24

I have just been diagnosed with a left kidney neoplasm and right kidney angiomyolipoma, so a bit shaken up and waiting for the next round of tests and treatment regimes. Both are totally differing tumors so not sure how it will all go.

Kidney Cancer - Prognosis Question: What is the prognosis for your kidney cancer?
Kidney Cancer - Treatment Question: What was the treatment for your kidney cancer?
Kidney Cancer - Risk Factors Question: What risk factors did you or someone you know have for kidney cancer?
Kidney Cancer - Diagnosis Question: How was your kidney cancer diagnosed?
Kidney Cancer - Follow-up Care Question: What type of follow-up care have you, a friend, or relative received for kidney cancer?