Patient Comments: Kidney Cancer - Symptoms

What were your symptoms of kidney cancer?

Comment from: marlindarlin, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: January 13

This is my fifth bout with cancer. The first was a hysterectomy. Then my lymph glands in the left groin were swollen and surgically removed. In 1985, I became very ill. My hair was falling out, my fingernails became very soft, and my skin very sensitive. An exploratory showed that tumors were wrapped around nerves in my abdomen area. The surgeon stitched me back up. A week later I started chemotherapy: Platinol, Bleomyocin, and Velban. I was allergic to the Bleo, and it was causing severe damage to my lungs, so I had to stop it. The other drugs were not working to kill the cancer, so it was decided that I should have radiation. I had treatments for six weeks. That killed all of the cancer. My doctors did not know what kind of cancer I had until three years later. It was named Ki-1 non-Hodgkin's lymphoma. I was fine until 1994 when a node in my neck became swollen. A needle biopsy was performed, and it was determined that the cancer was back. I received another round of chemo - I cannot remember what kind. I was also prepared for a bone marrow transplant, which I did not need. The doctors harvested my stem cells. I have been fine up until now. I started seeing blood in my urine and went into the hospital. A cancerous tumor has been found in my left kidney. The doctors think that it is contained, and it is stage 1. I am having further tests to determine what kind of cancer it is. They believe that it may stem from my radiation.

Comment from: jarhead3071, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: November 10

My kidney cancer was found by accident. I'm 58 now. During a routine urine test they found blood in my urine. That was in 2003. I had to have my kidney removed immediately, within two weeks I think. I was only in the hospital for three days! I have just two small scars left. I'm great now, but a little tired sometimes. I'm not sure if that has anything to do with it, but I think so. If your doctor has to remove your kidney and open you up a lot from stem to stern: Find another doctor! A good doctor only needs a couple of small cuts.

Comment from: Linda, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: September 30

I was diagnosed with renal cancer three years after symptoms first appeared. Three years ago, I went to the emergency room with severe abdominal pain. It was difficult to walk, and the pain was excruciating. The CT scan results showed a small mass in the kidney, but I was told it was nothing to worry about. For the past two years I felt a small lump on my right side, but none of the doctor's I went to could feel anything. The lump kept getting larger and, a week ago, an ultrasound was performed. The results showed "shadowing" in the lower right abdomen. I had a CT scan yesterday and today was told I have renal cancer. The comparison study to the previous CT scan of three years ago reflects a dramatic increase in size.

Comment from: Godisgood, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: September 30

I am a 29-year-old, slim, non-smoking woman. What really got me concerned was when I had a lot of pain in my right side. I had no idea what it was but knew it wasn't right and went to the emergency room. I had blood in my urine and a bad fever that night and spent the week in the hospital. Tests revealed a large tumor on my kidney. I found out it was cancer two months later when pain started again and doctors decided to take the kidney and tumor out. I hope this helps. I never would have thought it would happen to me, but it did. But I am fine now. I wish I had asked more questions about it when I was first in the hospital.

Comment from: lee, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: September 12

I am a 33yr old man I had very high blood pressure for a year and was being treated by my gp I often felt tired and listless, but put it all down to the blood pressure, it was my wifes birthday and she had been bought a bottle of rum which we opened and I drank a fair amount of it myself. The next day I started passing blood in my urine and went to the doctors, who send me for a scan, that when they found a huge mass in my left kidney. I was taken into hospital and my kidney was removed I am at the moment still getting over the surgery as it was only 2 months ago.

Comment from: Frank, 75 or over Male (Patient) Published: August 12

I had no symptoms with my kidney cancer. I felt great and was quite physically active with swimming and biking. At my annual exam, a urine test showed loss of kidney function. An ultrasound, MRI, and the insertion of a stent and a biopsy followed.

Kidney Cancer - Prognosis Question: What is the prognosis for your kidney cancer?
Kidney Cancer - Treatment Question: What was the treatment for your kidney cancer?
Kidney Cancer - Risk Factors Question: What risk factors did you or someone you know have for kidney cancer?
Kidney Cancer - Diagnosis Question: How was your kidney cancer diagnosed?
Kidney Cancer - Follow-up Care Question: What type of follow-up care have you, a friend, or relative received for kidney cancer?