Patient Comments: Kidney Cancer - Symptoms

What were your symptoms of kidney cancer?

Comment from: 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: September 17

I am 41. I had blood in my urine back in May this year and my wife took me to the ER. A urine test was done which showed an infection. We were discouraged from getting a CT by the ER physician. I took my antibiotics and seemed to be cured, then a few weeks ago I had blood in my urine again. We went to a urologist who started running tests. The ultrasound found a 9 cm tumor in my right kidney. My bone scan and CT didn't show anything, but the tumor is wrapped around the renal vein. I am waiting for the surgeon to call me to schedule surgery. No other symptoms at all.

Comment from: yuvona, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: September 12

I had very little symptoms other than high blood pressure and extreme fatigue. My cardiologist suggested an ultra sound and found a mass in my right kidney which turned out to be cancerous.

Comment from: Female (Patient) Published: August 15

I went to the doctor after passing quite a bit of blood in my urine. The nurse said, "Oh, you just have an infection," so the doctor didn't look very hard. A few months later, after losing weight, I woke up in terrible pain, went to the hospital, and was treated for kidney stones. My x-ray was so fuzzy, the specialist I consulted said he couldn't even see my kidney! After much testing, I had my right kidney removed by traditional surgery. Lots of pain and a long recovery, but I've been okay for 7 years.

Comment from: 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: August 04

I thought that I might have had a hernia. I felt a “tugging,” or tightness, in the pelvic area when I stretched backward. There were no indications of a hernia, but further tests found a tumor in my left kidney.

Kidney Cancer - Prognosis Question: What is the prognosis for your kidney cancer?
Kidney Cancer - Treatment Question: What was the treatment for your kidney cancer?
Kidney Cancer - Risk Factors Question: What risk factors did you or someone you know have for kidney cancer?
Kidney Cancer - Diagnosis Question: How was your kidney cancer diagnosed?
Kidney Cancer - Follow-up Care Question: What type of follow-up care have you, a friend, or relative received for kidney cancer?