Patient Comments: Kidney Cancer - Symptoms

What were your symptoms of kidney cancer?

Comment from: Frank, 75 or over Male (Patient) Published: August 12

I had no symptoms with my kidney cancer. I felt great and was quite physically active with swimming and biking. At my annual exam, a urine test showed loss of kidney function. An ultrasound, MRI, and the insertion of a stent and a biopsy followed.

Published: June 25

In March, I went for tests for a sore lower back. During the ultrasound, the tech asked if I bled when I went to the bathroom. He discovered stones in the right kidney. On further investigation, we discovered a 4 cm tumor on my left kidney. Our biggest problem has been the big stone in the right kidney. It took three procedures to get rid of it. Now that it is gone, we can arrange to remove part or all of the left. Since my cancer is contained, I have not felt any concern. I feel very positive that this will come out alright. Now, that being said, I am in the Canadian Medical system and am getting superb care and concern from my urologist.

Published: June 17

My situation literally was “fast and furious.” On a Tuesday, I started with a twinge as if I had pulled a muscle. By Wednesday night, I couldn't move and the pain was constant. When the ambulance came to get me they asked about kidney stones. I had never had them. At the hospital, they took a urine sample by catheter and it came back with blood in the urine. The doctor thought it was probably a kidney infection. They did a CT scan with dye and she came back with, “Your scan was unremarkable.” So, I left the hospital at 3 a.m. still in agony with no answers, and I felt like I had wasted my time. I went to my doctor the next morning. Since I had left the hospital, someone had looked again at my scan and found a 2.7 cm mass on my kidney and called my doctor. The following day on Friday, I had another CT scan done with and without dye and it confirmed the mass. My test for kidney infection came back negative and still had blood in the urine. I also had a low grade fever. This all just started on June 3, 2008. Right now, I am waiting to see a nephrologist. I have great support all around me. Yes, I do break down and cry at times but mostly I am trying to rest, deal with the pain, and be as healthy as possible.

Comment from: retired1SG, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: October 13

I was having pain in middle of my chest and my GP said it was Cardio. The year before I had this same pain and went for a complete cardio work up and results came back with gallbladder was the problem, so we removed the bladder. So, x-rays showed spots on my kidney this time, was not a cardio problem. My doctor is still looking at all the tests to determine if the kidney is to be removed or to remove the cancer portion. I did not have any pain coming from kidney and it has been about 3-4 weeks and I very slight pain in the kidney area. I am keeping my fingers crossed and praying to God.

Comment from: 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: September 17

I am 41. I had blood in my urine back in May this year and my wife took me to the ER. A urine test was done which showed an infection. We were discouraged from getting a CT by the ER physician. I took my antibiotics and seemed to be cured, then a few weeks ago I had blood in my urine again. We went to a urologist who started running tests. The ultrasound found a 9 cm tumor in my right kidney. My bone scan and CT didn't show anything, but the tumor is wrapped around the renal vein. I am waiting for the surgeon to call me to schedule surgery. No other symptoms at all.

Comment from: yuvona, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: September 12

I had very little symptoms other than high blood pressure and extreme fatigue. My cardiologist suggested an ultra sound and found a mass in my right kidney which turned out to be cancerous.

Comment from: Female (Patient) Published: August 15

I went to the doctor after passing quite a bit of blood in my urine. The nurse said, "Oh, you just have an infection," so the doctor didn't look very hard. A few months later, after losing weight, I woke up in terrible pain, went to the hospital, and was treated for kidney stones. My x-ray was so fuzzy, the specialist I consulted said he couldn't even see my kidney! After much testing, I had my right kidney removed by traditional surgery. Lots of pain and a long recovery, but I've been okay for 7 years.

Kidney Cancer - Prognosis Question: What is the prognosis for your kidney cancer?
Kidney Cancer - Treatment Question: What was the treatment for your kidney cancer?
Kidney Cancer - Risk Factors Question: What risk factors did you or someone you know have for kidney cancer?
Kidney Cancer - Diagnosis Question: How was your kidney cancer diagnosed?
Kidney Cancer - Follow-up Care Question: What type of follow-up care have you, a friend, or relative received for kidney cancer?