Patient Comments: Kidney Cancer - Symptoms

What were your symptoms of kidney cancer?

Comment from: victoria, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: August 15

My kidney cancer was found purely by accident. I had been getting facial and leg hives for a few months. Thinking it was a due to my dogs and or foods I was eating. I went to an allergist who took blood tests. She called me that evening to go to emergency right away that my liver toxins are way over their levels. 30 normal 1040 was my levels at this point. So what is making this happen? Well I was test for all, and anything but during my CT test they told me I had a one inch hard mass on my left kidney. Visit to urology and was told it had to come out. No blood on my urine, no aches or pains. It was a shock. I had it taken out one month later. 5 days after I was told it was cancer. So I guess it was a blessing. But now I move on to see if and what damage it caused. I feel for someone who never smoked, drink, and took care of what she ate. It could happen to anyone.

Comment from: cardor, 75 or over Male (Patient) Published: July 30

I have renal cancer, I have fatigue.

Comment from: Travelly, 55-64 Male (Caregiver) Published: June 05

My husband was going to donate his kidney to his cousin. During the extensive testing it was discovered that he himself had a tumor on his own kidney. This was successfully removed 6 years ago. We are thankful daily that his offer to donate a kidney saved his own life. A year later his cousin received a cadaver kidney and his life was also saved!

Comment from: Beausgigi, 55-64 Male (Caregiver) Published: April 22

My husband had kidney cancer and his left kidney was removed in December 2012. All checkups have been great. For the last couple of months, he has noticed a very pungent odor in is urine. He has some pain in his back. I wonder if this could this be a urinary tract infection (UTI). He is scheduled on 5/12 for his 6 month checkup with his doctor. He will have a CT scan and x-ray.

Comment from: Kathy, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: August 01

My ccRCC was discovered when I went to the ER with a GI bleed and a CT scan revealed the large mass. Further studies determined that my cancer had traveled to my lungs. I had a radical nephrectomy and will very soon begin treatment of my cancer in my lungs with votrient. I feel good and hope I remain that way during treatment.

Comment from: J9, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: January 13

I had no symptoms except for more indigestion than normal, so I went for an upper GI, and that's when they found that there was something on my left kidney. I went for an ultrasound, and it came back showing a solid mass. I then went for a CT scan and to see a surgeon. This was Oct. 14, 2008. I was scheduled for surgery to have my kidney removed on November 4, 2008. I was in the hospital for a week. My tumor was 1.5 pounds, and it was 17 by 10 by 8 cm. I've since returned to work. I have a pain on my right side, which the doctor's don't know why. I had another CT scan and ultrasound, which shows something on my right kidney in the collecting cups. The doctor thinks that it is only an adhesive that was used to repair my spleen that was torn when doing the surgery. I will have another CT scan at the end of February this year to make sure that this spot has not gotten bigger. I can only say that you never know what's going on inside of you, and if you just don't think things are right, go and have them checked out. Hopefully, I'll be one of the lucky ones, and this next CT scan will not show anything different.

Comment from: Pedro, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: January 13

I had my kidney removed in October of 2007 through keyhole surgery. My symptoms included extreme fatigue, fevers, night sweats, aching ankles and knees, and abnormal liver function results. Since surgery, I've been much better; the symptoms seem to be gone too!

Comment from: 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: January 13

I'm 47 years old. I'm an athletic type, a non-smoker, and I don't drink alcohol. I'm a healthy eater. I went to a doctor for a routine check-up and the doctor accidentally found out using ultrasound that I had kidney cancer, 5.5 cm stage 1. Before I had the ultrasound, I had all the laboratory examinations, urine examinations, etc., and nothing had shown any symptoms of cancer. Thank God the tumor was at the beginning stage and stayed inside the capsule of the kidney. On July 9, 2008, I was operated on in Germany by a top surgeon who had removed the whole left kidney. Thank God! Now I'm feeling very well. Just to be extra safe, the professor in Germany prepared a special vaccine for my cancer cells, and he gave it to me three times already to improve my system.

Kidney Cancer - Prognosis Question: What is the prognosis for your kidney cancer?
Kidney Cancer - Treatment Question: What was the treatment for your kidney cancer?
Kidney Cancer - Risk Factors Question: What risk factors did you or someone you know have for kidney cancer?
Kidney Cancer - Diagnosis Question: How was your kidney cancer diagnosed?
Kidney Cancer - Follow-up Care Question: What type of follow-up care have you, a friend, or relative received for kidney cancer?