Patient Comments: Kidney Cancer - Symptoms

What were your symptoms of kidney cancer?

Comment from: J9, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: January 13

I had no symptoms except for more indigestion than normal, so I went for an upper GI, and that's when they found that there was something on my left kidney. I went for an ultrasound, and it came back showing a solid mass. I then went for a CT scan and to see a surgeon. This was Oct. 14, 2008. I was scheduled for surgery to have my kidney removed on November 4, 2008. I was in the hospital for a week. My tumor was 1.5 pounds, and it was 17 by 10 by 8 cm. I've since returned to work. I have a pain on my right side, which the doctor's don't know why. I had another CT scan and ultrasound, which shows something on my right kidney in the collecting cups. The doctor thinks that it is only an adhesive that was used to repair my spleen that was torn when doing the surgery. I will have another CT scan at the end of February this year to make sure that this spot has not gotten bigger. I can only say that you never know what's going on inside of you, and if you just don't think things are right, go and have them checked out. Hopefully, I'll be one of the lucky ones, and this next CT scan will not show anything different.

Comment from: Pedro, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: January 13

I had my kidney removed in October of 2007 through keyhole surgery. My symptoms included extreme fatigue, fevers, night sweats, aching ankles and knees, and abnormal liver function results. Since surgery, I've been much better; the symptoms seem to be gone too!

Comment from: 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: January 13

I'm 47 years old. I'm an athletic type, a non-smoker, and I don't drink alcohol. I'm a healthy eater. I went to a doctor for a routine check-up and the doctor accidentally found out using ultrasound that I had kidney cancer, 5.5 cm stage 1. Before I had the ultrasound, I had all the laboratory examinations, urine examinations, etc., and nothing had shown any symptoms of cancer. Thank God the tumor was at the beginning stage and stayed inside the capsule of the kidney. On July 9, 2008, I was operated on in Germany by a top surgeon who had removed the whole left kidney. Thank God! Now I'm feeling very well. Just to be extra safe, the professor in Germany prepared a special vaccine for my cancer cells, and he gave it to me three times already to improve my system.

Comment from: marlindarlin, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: January 13

This is my fifth bout with cancer. The first was a hysterectomy. Then my lymph glands in the left groin were swollen and surgically removed. In 1985, I became very ill. My hair was falling out, my fingernails became very soft, and my skin very sensitive. An exploratory showed that tumors were wrapped around nerves in my abdomen area. The surgeon stitched me back up. A week later I started chemotherapy: Platinol, Bleomyocin, and Velban. I was allergic to the Bleo, and it was causing severe damage to my lungs, so I had to stop it. The other drugs were not working to kill the cancer, so it was decided that I should have radiation. I had treatments for six weeks. That killed all of the cancer. My doctors did not know what kind of cancer I had until three years later. It was named Ki-1 non-Hodgkin's lymphoma. I was fine until 1994 when a node in my neck became swollen. A needle biopsy was performed, and it was determined that the cancer was back. I received another round of chemo - I cannot remember what kind. I was also prepared for a bone marrow transplant, which I did not need. The doctors harvested my stem cells. I have been fine up until now. I started seeing blood in my urine and went into the hospital. A cancerous tumor has been found in my left kidney. The doctors think that it is contained, and it is stage 1. I am having further tests to determine what kind of cancer it is. They believe that it may stem from my radiation.

Comment from: jarhead3071, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: November 10

My kidney cancer was found by accident. I'm 58 now. During a routine urine test they found blood in my urine. That was in 2003. I had to have my kidney removed immediately, within two weeks I think. I was only in the hospital for three days! I have just two small scars left. I'm great now, but a little tired sometimes. I'm not sure if that has anything to do with it, but I think so. If your doctor has to remove your kidney and open you up a lot from stem to stern: Find another doctor! A good doctor only needs a couple of small cuts.

Comment from: Linda, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: September 30

I was diagnosed with renal cancer three years after symptoms first appeared. Three years ago, I went to the emergency room with severe abdominal pain. It was difficult to walk, and the pain was excruciating. The CT scan results showed a small mass in the kidney, but I was told it was nothing to worry about. For the past two years I felt a small lump on my right side, but none of the doctor's I went to could feel anything. The lump kept getting larger and, a week ago, an ultrasound was performed. The results showed "shadowing" in the lower right abdomen. I had a CT scan yesterday and today was told I have renal cancer. The comparison study to the previous CT scan of three years ago reflects a dramatic increase in size.

Kidney Cancer - Prognosis Question: What is the prognosis for your kidney cancer?
Kidney Cancer - Treatment Question: What was the treatment for your kidney cancer?
Kidney Cancer - Risk Factors Question: What risk factors did you or someone you know have for kidney cancer?
Kidney Cancer - Diagnosis Question: How was your kidney cancer diagnosed?
Kidney Cancer - Follow-up Care Question: What type of follow-up care have you, a friend, or relative received for kidney cancer?