Patient Comments: Kidney Cancer - Symptoms

What were your symptoms of kidney cancer?

Comment from: RCC in my pancreas, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: October 31

I was 36 with 2 kids when I was first diagnosed. Initially, I had pain (briefly) and blood in my urine, thought maybe I passed a kidney stone. But, within a month I had a right nephrectomy. I later had a part of my left kidney and most of my pancreas removed for RCC (renal cell carcinoma). My follow-up has been frustrating! I feel I should have regular CTs or MRIs. My doctor says it is not necessary to have them done annually.

Comment from: Michael, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: January 13

I am a 55-year-old male. One day, some 18 months back, I had blood in my urine. I went to a urologist who found nothing. The episodes started up again some six months later with blood in the urine for a day, and then clear for the next several weeks. I did not have any pain, just occasional blood in the urine. I went to another urologist who diagnosed it as kidney cancer and recommended a “radical nephrectomy.” My thoughts were, “No, I don't have any kidney cancer.” So I obtained a second opinion, then a third, and finally a fourth opinion. After much thought, I had the surgery to remove my left kidney. It was cancer, an invasive papillary urothelial carcinoma, of a high grade. The doctor said that was the bad news, but the good news was it was all in my left kidney, which is now gone. My surgery was eight weeks ago today, and aside from being weak, I'm on the road to recovery.

Comment from: Peggy Sue, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 13

I'm a 50-year-old woman in good physical shape! I had no idea that I had a cancer tumor 6 cm growing directly in the middle of my outer-front right kidney. I became very ill with a stomach virus from one hour to the next, throwing up severely. It made my blood count go up. The ER technician had a CT scan ordered with the intentions of maybe finding something wrong with my pancreas and instead found the tumor! My kidney was removed entirely on Nov. 10, 2008, and I'm cancer-free because of early detection! It had been growing for about five years. I think everyone should have a body CT scan performed once a year so cancer can be detected in time!

Comment from: Coral, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: January 13

My kidney cancer was found five years ago when I was in the hospital having a major flare-up of lupus. In doing all their tests, it was discovered that there was something on my kidney. I had had no previous signs. I had my left kidney removed with no further treatment needed. I have regular check-ups with CT scans and chest X-rays.

Comment from: betso61, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 13

I am a 46-year-old female and had a dull pain in my lower back that extended to the front pelvic area for a few months, almost like mild muscle spasms. I went to the doctor, and after a few visits, two ultrasounds and two CT scans, it was confirmed I had a small tumor on my left kidney. I had surgery six weeks ago (partial nephrectomy) to remove the tumor. I was very lucky to have found it early, the tumor was only 1.5 cm. The cancer was contained to the kidney, and I only lost about 5% of my kidney. The doctors insist that the back pain had nothing to do with the tumor, but since surgery, the pain is gone. Listen to your body, if something doesn't seem right, it probably isn't.

Comment from: canadian jane, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 13

I am 51 yr old female, had no symptoms. Family doctor sent me for baseline abdominal ultrasound to check the conditions of my kidneys, as I've been on blood pressure meds for about 15 yrs, and a routine blood test to check kidney function showed slightly different results when we changed one of my medications. A 15cm mass was found on my left kidney, confirmed as renal cell carcinoma by CAT scan with dye. This was 30 days ago. I've had the kidney, tumor, adrenal gland and 4 lymph nodes removed by radical nephrectomy 19 days ago. Stage 3 with no cancer cells found in the lymph nodes, margins or the adrenal gland, but was in the surrounding fatty tissue. Grade 3 aggressive cells. We now wait 30 days and will do new CAT scans of the chest, abdomen and pelvis to look for any new nodules. As my tumor was so large (it weighed over 4 lbs) I have a lot of pain from the surgery, particularly rib pain from having my ribs 'severely retracted' in order to get the monster out of me. I am working hard to remain optimistic for a good outcome the mental stress and recovery is by far harder than the physical.

Comment from: Sue, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: October 13

It was just 6 yrs ago for me. I want to give you all the hope you need. Especially those of you who are new to this. I was 35 when I was diagnosed. I had Stage 3B Kidney cancer. I had no symptoms and it was found completely by accident. I was having a miscarriage and the technician who was doing an ultra sound just decided to look at my kidneys. I had a 5 cm tumor. I was told it was a very aggressive cancer and I would have been dead in 6 months. Well here I am. Yes, it was painful to have surgery. What surgery isn't painful? The biggest thing that no one told me about was the way I'd feel with an organ removed. Your body kind of switches around for months after surgery. Like your organs are hanging in that empty spot. I still struggle with the fears that someday it will return. Life is so short.

Kidney Cancer - Prognosis Question: What is the prognosis for your kidney cancer?
Kidney Cancer - Treatment Question: What was the treatment for your kidney cancer?
Kidney Cancer - Risk Factors Question: Did you have any risk factors for kidney cancer?
Kidney Cancer - Diagnosis Question: How was your kidney cancer diagnosed?
Kidney Cancer - Follow-up Care Question: What type of follow-up care have you, a friend, or relative received for kidney cancer?
Kidney Cancer - Renal Cell Carcinoma Question: Please share your experience with renal cell carcinoma.