Patient Comments: Kidney Cancer - Symptoms

What were your symptoms of kidney cancer?

Comment from: Peggy Sue, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 13

I'm a 50-year-old woman in good physical shape! I had no idea that I had a cancer tumor 6 cm growing directly in the middle of my outer-front right kidney. I became very ill with a stomach virus from one hour to the next, throwing up severely. It made my blood count go up. The ER technician had a CT scan ordered with the intentions of maybe finding something wrong with my pancreas and instead found the tumor! My kidney was removed entirely on Nov. 10, 2008, and I'm cancer-free because of early detection! It had been growing for about five years. I think everyone should have a body CT scan performed once a year so cancer can be detected in time!

Comment from: Coral, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: January 13

My kidney cancer was found five years ago when I was in the hospital having a major flare-up of lupus. In doing all their tests, it was discovered that there was something on my kidney. I had had no previous signs. I had my left kidney removed with no further treatment needed. I have regular check-ups with CT scans and chest X-rays.

Comment from: betso61, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 13

I am a 46-year-old female and had a dull pain in my lower back that extended to the front pelvic area for a few months, almost like mild muscle spasms. I went to the doctor, and after a few visits, two ultrasounds and two CT scans, it was confirmed I had a small tumor on my left kidney. I had surgery six weeks ago (partial nephrectomy) to remove the tumor. I was very lucky to have found it early, the tumor was only 1.5 cm. The cancer was contained to the kidney, and I only lost about 5% of my kidney. The doctors insist that the back pain had nothing to do with the tumor, but since surgery, the pain is gone. Listen to your body, if something doesn't seem right, it probably isn't.

Comment from: canadian jane, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 13

I am 51 yr old female, had no symptoms. Family doctor sent me for baseline abdominal ultrasound to check the conditions of my kidneys, as I've been on blood pressure meds for about 15 yrs, and a routine blood test to check kidney function showed slightly different results when we changed one of my medications. A 15cm mass was found on my left kidney, confirmed as renal cell carcinoma by CAT scan with dye. This was 30 days ago. I've had the kidney, tumor, adrenal gland and 4 lymph nodes removed by radical nephrectomy 19 days ago. Stage 3 with no cancer cells found in the lymph nodes, margins or the adrenal gland, but was in the surrounding fatty tissue. Grade 3 aggressive cells. We now wait 30 days and will do new CAT scans of the chest, abdomen and pelvis to look for any new nodules. As my tumor was so large (it weighed over 4 lbs) I have a lot of pain from the surgery, particularly rib pain from having my ribs 'severely retracted' in order to get the monster out of me. I am working hard to remain optimistic for a good outcome the mental stress and recovery is by far harder than the physical.

Comment from: Sue, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: October 13

It was just 6 yrs ago for me. I want to give you all the hope you need. Especially those of you who are new to this. I was 35 when I was diagnosed. I had Stage 3B Kidney cancer. I had no symptoms and it was found completely by accident. I was having a miscarriage and the technician who was doing an ultra sound just decided to look at my kidneys. I had a 5 cm tumor. I was told it was a very aggressive cancer and I would have been dead in 6 months. Well here I am. Yes, it was painful to have surgery. What surgery isn't painful? The biggest thing that no one told me about was the way I'd feel with an organ removed. Your body kind of switches around for months after surgery. Like your organs are hanging in that empty spot. I still struggle with the fears that someday it will return. Life is so short.

Comment from: HD-Rider, 65-74 Male (Caregiver) Published: September 30

My husband had his left kidney removed yesterday because of kidney cancer. It had a 12 cm mass that began within the kidney and then moved outside, around, over, and under the kidney. Only two small strips of normal-looking kidney tissue remained. He had absolutely no symptoms until blood appeared in his urine after mowing the lawn. His urologist had him in surgery within hours of examining him. Thankfully, even though the tumor was the size of Kansas, it hadn't invaded surrounding tissues, nodes, veins, or arteries. The outlook is excellent. I do think, however, that urologists should at the minimum, take a peek at the kidneys when they are working with prostrate glands. My husband had two prostate biopsies, but no one ever looked at his kidneys. The cancer had been growing for several years and a quick sonogram session would have revealed it. It took less than five minutes with a sonogram machine to do so this week. I find this disturbing.

Kidney Cancer - Prognosis Question: What is the prognosis for your kidney cancer?
Kidney Cancer - Treatment Question: What was the treatment for your kidney cancer?
Kidney Cancer - Risk Factors Question: What risk factors did you or someone you know have for kidney cancer?
Kidney Cancer - Diagnosis Question: How was your kidney cancer diagnosed?
Kidney Cancer - Follow-up Care Question: What type of follow-up care have you, a friend, or relative received for kidney cancer?