Patient Comments: Kidney Cancer - Symptoms

What were your symptoms of kidney cancer?

Comment from: Formula4spd455, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: November 25

I found out I had a mass on my right kidney by my 12 year old son giving me his bear hug, as kids do to try and hurt their daddy. And he did, but the pain never quit. I had it checked, x-ray found nothing CAT scan nothing, and then finally CAT scan with drinking this stuff found the kidney cancer. Thank goodness my son hugged me, I think it really saved my life.

Comment from: overit, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: July 31

I have had urine test today to check for malignant cancer cells in my kidney as ultrasounds and x-rays and CT scan have showed nothing. I have blood in urine, and protein, pain in right side down low, and lower back pain. Pain is constant and spasms also can be so severe that last week my son had to call ambulance as I could not move or get out of bed. So for the last week I have been having tests and the doctors seem to be baffled as am I. So I await these tests. A few months ago though I had a very high red cell blood count for nearly 6 weeks and that was a mystery also and just got better so to speak. After a little research I am starting to wonder if it is all connected to my kidneys.

Comment from: Mom-Mom, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: July 31

I had blood in my urine and ended up at the emergency room (ER) where I was diagnosed with my first ever urinary tract infection (UTI). I truly feel that the bloody urine was my body's reaction to the cancer growing inside of me although I wasn't diagnosed with cancer at that time. A few months later I had an abdominal CT scan (to see if I could have flap surgery for a prophylactic mastectomy) and that was when the cancer was discovered. I was scheduled for a partial nephrectomy using a laparoscope, but ended up with a huge incision because of previous abdominal surgeries. I spent two nights in the hospital and for the next 6 months felt very fatigued. The one theme I have read over and over in these posts is to trust your body. If you think something is wrong, check it out.

Comment from: ProudUSVet, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: July 14

As a veteran, I think that I have some of the greatest healthcare providers in the world. I woke up one Friday morning in pain and bleeding out but wasn't concerned with the pain but the blood had me worried (I've had a hysterectomy so I shouldn't be bleeding). At lunch this was still going on so I went to the VA (Veterans Affairs) to have it checked out. After 11 hours of testing I was sent home with a follow up appointment for a 2nd CT on Monday. This CT and the one done on Friday showed a renal mass on my left kidney. I chose to wait 2 months before having it removed as it wasn't going anywhere and I was on a cruise. On May 21st I had the tumor removed by an amazing surgeon using the laparoscopic Da Vinci method. The next day I went home. The recovery was fairly easy but required loose clothing, no swimming or baths for 5 weeks and no heavy lifting.

Comment from: bobs, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 13

I had back pain with night sweat; the pain became so bad that I went to the emergency room. They thought I was passing a stone, they did CT scan then told me to follow up with my doctor. I did and he had me repeat the scan and did an ultrasound all of which came back positive; that was about a month ago. I just had the kidney removed, very painful.

Comment from: Malik, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: December 16

I have a damaged spinal cord which has a lesion which makes the side of my body have pins and needles and numbness though I can still walk. I had an MRI scan to check on the lesion when a mass was found on my left kidney and I was referred to a cancer specialist and a biopsy showed renal cell carcinoma. After an agonizing wait I had RFA (radio frequency ablation) which is a fairly new treatment for cancer; it burns the tumor. I'm having routine scans to keep an eye on things but it's difficult.

Comment from: Susan44, 65-74 Male (Caregiver) Published: November 25

In 2009 my husband, then 68, couldn't hold any food down. He began vomiting. Then he had a slight ache in his left side. I noticed puffiness under and to the side of each eye. My daughter, a nurse, told me to take him to the emergency room. They found a very large tumor on his left kidney, big enough to call it stage 2 plus and he had withheld two liters of urine. He had it removed laparoscopically with no problems but he takes even longer naps since. Today I noticed the puffiness again which he denies. I'm really scared. He has lost some weight but denies this also and eats anything he wants, especially many cans of diet soda daily sweetened with high fructose corn syrup.

Kidney Cancer - Prognosis Question: What is the prognosis for your kidney cancer?
Kidney Cancer - Treatment Question: What was the treatment for your kidney cancer?
Kidney Cancer - Risk Factors Question: Did you have any risk factors for kidney cancer?
Kidney Cancer - Diagnosis Question: How was your kidney cancer diagnosed?
Kidney Cancer - Follow-up Care Question: What type of follow-up care have you, a friend, or relative received for kidney cancer?