Patient Comments: Kidney Cancer - Symptoms

What were your symptoms of kidney cancer?

Comment from: betso61, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 13

I am a 46-year-old female and had a dull pain in my lower back that extended to the front pelvic area for a few months, almost like mild muscle spasms. I went to the doctor, and after a few visits, two ultrasounds and two CT scans, it was confirmed I had a small tumor on my left kidney. I had surgery six weeks ago (partial nephrectomy) to remove the tumor. I was very lucky to have found it early, the tumor was only 1.5 cm. The cancer was contained to the kidney, and I only lost about 5% of my kidney. The doctors insist that the back pain had nothing to do with the tumor, but since surgery, the pain is gone. Listen to your body, if something doesn't seem right, it probably isn't.

Comment from: canadian jane, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 13

I am 51 yr old female, had no symptoms. Family doctor sent me for baseline abdominal ultrasound to check the conditions of my kidneys, as I've been on blood pressure meds for about 15 yrs, and a routine blood test to check kidney function showed slightly different results when we changed one of my medications. A 15cm mass was found on my left kidney, confirmed as renal cell carcinoma by CAT scan with dye. This was 30 days ago. I've had the kidney, tumor, adrenal gland and 4 lymph nodes removed by radical nephrectomy 19 days ago. Stage 3 with no cancer cells found in the lymph nodes, margins or the adrenal gland, but was in the surrounding fatty tissue. Grade 3 aggressive cells. We now wait 30 days and will do new CAT scans of the chest, abdomen and pelvis to look for any new nodules. As my tumor was so large (it weighed over 4 lbs) I have a lot of pain from the surgery, particularly rib pain from having my ribs 'severely retracted' in order to get the monster out of me. I am working hard to remain optimistic for a good outcome the mental stress and recovery is by far harder than the physical.

Comment from: Sue, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: October 13

It was just 6 yrs ago for me. I want to give you all the hope you need. Especially those of you who are new to this. I was 35 when I was diagnosed. I had Stage 3B Kidney cancer. I had no symptoms and it was found completely by accident. I was having a miscarriage and the technician who was doing an ultra sound just decided to look at my kidneys. I had a 5 cm tumor. I was told it was a very aggressive cancer and I would have been dead in 6 months. Well here I am. Yes, it was painful to have surgery. What surgery isn't painful? The biggest thing that no one told me about was the way I'd feel with an organ removed. Your body kind of switches around for months after surgery. Like your organs are hanging in that empty spot. I still struggle with the fears that someday it will return. Life is so short.

Comment from: HD-Rider, 65-74 Male (Caregiver) Published: September 30

My husband had his left kidney removed yesterday because of kidney cancer. It had a 12 cm mass that began within the kidney and then moved outside, around, over, and under the kidney. Only two small strips of normal-looking kidney tissue remained. He had absolutely no symptoms until blood appeared in his urine after mowing the lawn. His urologist had him in surgery within hours of examining him. Thankfully, even though the tumor was the size of Kansas, it hadn't invaded surrounding tissues, nodes, veins, or arteries. The outlook is excellent. I do think, however, that urologists should at the minimum, take a peek at the kidneys when they are working with prostrate glands. My husband had two prostate biopsies, but no one ever looked at his kidneys. The cancer had been growing for several years and a quick sonogram session would have revealed it. It took less than five minutes with a sonogram machine to do so this week. I find this disturbing.

Comment from: victoria, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: August 15

My kidney cancer was found purely by accident. I had been getting facial and leg hives for a few months. Thinking it was a due to my dogs and or foods I was eating. I went to an allergist who took blood tests. She called me that evening to go to emergency right away that my liver toxins are way over their levels. 30 normal 1040 was my levels at this point. So what is making this happen? Well I was test for all, and anything but during my CT test they told me I had a one inch hard mass on my left kidney. Visit to urology and was told it had to come out. No blood on my urine, no aches or pains. It was a shock. I had it taken out one month later. 5 days after I was told it was cancer. So I guess it was a blessing. But now I move on to see if and what damage it caused. I feel for someone who never smoked, drink, and took care of what she ate. It could happen to anyone.

Comment from: Kathy, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: August 01

My ccRCC was discovered when I went to the ER with a GI bleed and a CT scan revealed the large mass. Further studies determined that my cancer had traveled to my lungs. I had a radical nephrectomy and will very soon begin treatment of my cancer in my lungs with votrient. I feel good and hope I remain that way during treatment.

Kidney Cancer - Prognosis Question: What is the prognosis for your kidney cancer?
Kidney Cancer - Treatment Question: What was the treatment for your kidney cancer?
Kidney Cancer - Risk Factors Question: What risk factors did you or someone you know have for kidney cancer?
Kidney Cancer - Diagnosis Question: How was your kidney cancer diagnosed?
Kidney Cancer - Follow-up Care Question: What type of follow-up care have you, a friend, or relative received for kidney cancer?