Patient Comments: Kidney Cancer - Symptoms

What were your symptoms of kidney cancer?

Comment from: Beausgigi, 55-64 Male (Caregiver) Published: April 22

My husband had kidney cancer and his left kidney was removed in December 2012. All checkups have been great. For the last couple of months, he has noticed a very pungent odor in is urine. He has some pain in his back. I wonder if this could this be a urinary tract infection (UTI). He is scheduled on 5/12 for his 6 month checkup with his doctor. He will have a CT scan and x-ray.

Comment from: Malik, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: December 16

I have a damaged spinal cord which has a lesion which makes the side of my body have pins and needles and numbness though I can still walk. I had an MRI scan to check on the lesion when a mass was found on my left kidney and I was referred to a cancer specialist and a biopsy showed renal cell carcinoma. After an agonizing wait I had RFA (radio frequency ablation) which is a fairly new treatment for cancer; it burns the tumor. I'm having routine scans to keep an eye on things but it's difficult.

Comment from: Susan44, 65-74 Male (Caregiver) Published: November 25

In 2009 my husband, then 68, couldn't hold any food down. He began vomiting. Then he had a slight ache in his left side. I noticed puffiness under and to the side of each eye. My daughter, a nurse, told me to take him to the emergency room. They found a very large tumor on his left kidney, big enough to call it stage 2 plus and he had withheld two liters of urine. He had it removed laparoscopically with no problems but he takes even longer naps since. Today I noticed the puffiness again which he denies. I'm really scared. He has lost some weight but denies this also and eats anything he wants, especially many cans of diet soda daily sweetened with high fructose corn syrup.

Comment from: RCC in my pancreas, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: October 31

I was 36 with 2 kids when I was first diagnosed. Initially, I had pain (briefly) and blood in my urine, thought maybe I passed a kidney stone. But, within a month I had a right nephrectomy. I later had a part of my left kidney and most of my pancreas removed for RCC (renal cell carcinoma). My follow-up has been frustrating! I feel I should have regular CTs or MRIs. My doctor says it is not necessary to have them done annually.

Comment from: Michael, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: January 13

I am a 55-year-old male. One day, some 18 months back, I had blood in my urine. I went to a urologist who found nothing. The episodes started up again some six months later with blood in the urine for a day, and then clear for the next several weeks. I did not have any pain, just occasional blood in the urine. I went to another urologist who diagnosed it as kidney cancer and recommended a “radical nephrectomy.” My thoughts were, “No, I don't have any kidney cancer.” So I obtained a second opinion, then a third, and finally a fourth opinion. After much thought, I had the surgery to remove my left kidney. It was cancer, an invasive papillary urothelial carcinoma, of a high grade. The doctor said that was the bad news, but the good news was it was all in my left kidney, which is now gone. My surgery was eight weeks ago today, and aside from being weak, I'm on the road to recovery.

Comment from: Peggy Sue, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 13

I'm a 50-year-old woman in good physical shape! I had no idea that I had a cancer tumor 6 cm growing directly in the middle of my outer-front right kidney. I became very ill with a stomach virus from one hour to the next, throwing up severely. It made my blood count go up. The ER technician had a CT scan ordered with the intentions of maybe finding something wrong with my pancreas and instead found the tumor! My kidney was removed entirely on Nov. 10, 2008, and I'm cancer-free because of early detection! It had been growing for about five years. I think everyone should have a body CT scan performed once a year so cancer can be detected in time!

Comment from: Coral, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: January 13

My kidney cancer was found five years ago when I was in the hospital having a major flare-up of lupus. In doing all their tests, it was discovered that there was something on my kidney. I had had no previous signs. I had my left kidney removed with no further treatment needed. I have regular check-ups with CT scans and chest X-rays.

Kidney Cancer - Prognosis Question: What is the prognosis for your kidney cancer?
Kidney Cancer - Treatment Question: What was the treatment for your kidney cancer?
Kidney Cancer - Risk Factors Question: What risk factors did you or someone you know have for kidney cancer?
Kidney Cancer - Diagnosis Question: How was your kidney cancer diagnosed?
Kidney Cancer - Follow-up Care Question: What type of follow-up care have you, a friend, or relative received for kidney cancer?