Patient Comments: Kidney Cancer - Symptoms

What were your symptoms of kidney cancer?

Comment from: krhgk, 55-64 Male (Caregiver) Published: March 13

Six days ago, my husband had a horse accident that sent him to the trauma emergency room. While doing a CT scan with contrast of his chest, abdomen and pelvic area, it was discovered he has a tumor attached to the outside of his left kidney. Wow, no symptoms at all! The trauma doctor told him that he needed to follow up with his primary doctor for referral. The trauma doctor didn't want to talk too much about the tumor however he was adamant that he follow up about this tumor on the kidney right away. Monday he was seen by his primary doctor. He explained what happened over the weekend. His doctor had not called for his records therefore had no record in front of him or the CT results. The primary doctor said let's do an ultra sound tomorrow. I had the worried look I guess. The primary doctor said to us, these things happen all the time. Most of the time with noncancerous results. I'm still very worried! The trauma doctor who saw the tumor on the CT scan was very concerned. Being that he has a bigger belly I don't think the ultra sound is going to give a better reading with much more clarity.

Comment from: ljfcirc, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 07

In 1998 I injured my shoulder bowling and had to have a body scan. They noticed a mass on my left kidney. It turns out I had renal cell carcinoma. I was in total shock. I had experienced no symptoms whatsoever. I had my left kidney removed. I was 38 years old. I am now 54 and have been cancer free for 16 years. I now see my shoulder injury as divine intervention!

Comment from: howsschool, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: January 13

I was at work one Friday when at lunchtime I went to the bathroom and passed blood. I thought, “This can't be good.” I went back to my computer to look up what it could be and decided to drive myself to the emergency room. I told the doctors I had passed blood and by then I had a terrible pain on my right side. They gave me a CT scan and said I had a "renal mass." This was all within about three hours of passing blood. My regular doctor came by on Saturday and said he saw the scan and he thought it was kidney cancer. By then, a urologist had been contacted and he scheduled a radical nephrectomy for the following Thursday. It turned out to be kidney cancer - stage 3 - because of the size of the tumor he said. I was in the hospital a total of 11 days. That was about 15 months ago. Thank God for that urologist. I've told him he saved my life. I go for periodic X-rays, and a CT scan is scheduled for next week. I keep praying that none of that cancer ever comes back.

Published: October 31

My kidney cancer was found purely by accident as a lot of times they are. I had an abscess tooth and went into the dentist. Seconds after getting into the dental chair, she found a lump on the inside of my cheek. She sent me directly to an oral surgeon who did a biopsy. It came back cancer of the salivary gland. I was sent to see a top ENT (ear, nose, throat) doctor who did an upper CT scan and performed surgery on my mouth. After that surgery was performed, the CT scan came back with something on my kidney. Well, what it saw was the top of a 10 cm tumor on my kidney. I went in a year ago on Valentine's Day and had my left kidney removed. It was removed laparoscopically by a top transplant surgeon. I was very lucky. Both cancers turned out to be very rare forms, acinic cell carcinoma (which only 3% of the population gets), and chromophobe renal cancer, which only 3% of the population gets. Both have few statistics on them, but my prognosis is very good. Thank goodness I had a good dentist who checked my cheeks!

Comment from: Formula4spd455, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: November 25

I found out I had a mass on my right kidney by my 12 year old son giving me his bear hug, as kids do to try and hurt their daddy. And he did, but the pain never quit. I had it checked, x-ray found nothing CAT scan nothing, and then finally CAT scan with drinking this stuff found the kidney cancer. Thank goodness my son hugged me, I think it really saved my life.

Comment from: overit, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: July 31

I have had urine test today to check for malignant cancer cells in my kidney as ultrasounds and x-rays and CT scan have showed nothing. I have blood in urine, and protein, pain in right side down low, and lower back pain. Pain is constant and spasms also can be so severe that last week my son had to call ambulance as I could not move or get out of bed. So for the last week I have been having tests and the doctors seem to be baffled as am I. So I await these tests. A few months ago though I had a very high red cell blood count for nearly 6 weeks and that was a mystery also and just got better so to speak. After a little research I am starting to wonder if it is all connected to my kidneys.

Kidney Cancer - Prognosis Question: What is the prognosis for your kidney cancer?
Kidney Cancer - Treatment Question: What was the treatment for your kidney cancer?
Kidney Cancer - Risk Factors Question: What risk factors did you or someone you know have for kidney cancer?
Kidney Cancer - Diagnosis Question: How was your kidney cancer diagnosed?
Kidney Cancer - Follow-up Care Question: What type of follow-up care have you, a friend, or relative received for kidney cancer?