Patient Comments: Kidney Cancer - Diagnosis

How was your kidney cancer diagnosed?

Comment from: Diz, (Patient) Published: October 30

I felt like I had the flu for a couple of years. I would just develop more symptoms of the flu. I was missing a lot of work. Extremely tired all the time and it felt like I would wake up tired. I had been having a lot of tests by my doctor and others. Then my blood pressure went sky high. Another doctor decided to do a 24 hour urine test. From that test they knew I had kidney cancer. I had stage 3 cancer. I had my left kidney removed and was in hospital for 5 days. I feel wonderful now.

Comment from: nae, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: February 11

I received a diagnosis of kidney cancer three and a half years ago. It was clear cell carcinoma, stage 2. I had a 5 centimeter tumor on my right kidney. I had partial nephrostomy. My symptoms were cold like symptoms; fever, fatigue and pain in my lower back. These symptoms worsened and I had them for a year. I spent a year with doctors telling me there was nothing wrong. Listen to your body, I knew there was something wrong. After routine CT test there are now 2 masses on my left kidney. The small one is 1.6cm and other is 1.8cm and I am scared.

Comment from: Aunt Kelly, 25-34 Female (Caregiver) Published: July 10

My nephew was just diagnosed with an 85 percent chance of kidney cancer, and a 10 percent chance of the other kidney. They are going to wait over 4 months to operate. I would think they would remove the cancer quickly instead of waiting until it is convenient for my nephew.

Comment from: happytracks, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: May 13

I am a four-year dialysis patient. Two months ago, my nephrologist ordered a kidney scan. The results showed a tumor on my left kidney; I was told it was cancer. No biopsy has been taken, and I have doubts. My doctor said if it was not cancer it would have some kind of drainage in it. He sent me to another nephrologist, who bluntly said I have kidney cancer by looking at my scan. I am not satisfied about this matter. Thus far, I have no pain, and I can't be put to sleep due to a high allergy to anesthesia. I need advice. I have dialysis every Monday, Wednesday, and Friday year round.

Comment from: Lisa, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: March 26

My kidney cancer was discovered when I had an ultrasound to determine the due date of my baby. They were looking at the baby and found a tumor that had taken over one kidney. I had no symptoms. I'd had an ultrasound with my previous son only six months before and there was no evidence of a tumor. Within a few weeks, I had my kidney removed and was fortunate enough that I did not require additional treatment, and was able to continue on with my pregnancy. I now have an amazing little boy who saved my life.

Kidney Cancer - Symptoms Question: What were your symptoms of kidney cancer?
Kidney Cancer - Prognosis Question: What is the prognosis for your kidney cancer?
Kidney Cancer - Treatment Question: What was the treatment for your kidney cancer?
Kidney Cancer - Risk Factors Question: What risk factors did you or someone you know have for kidney cancer?
Kidney Cancer - Follow-up Care Question: What type of follow-up care have you, a friend, or relative received for kidney cancer?