Patient Comments: Kidney Cancer - Treatment

What was the treatment for your kidney cancer?

Comment from: 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: August 13

I developed transverse myelitis and while trying to diagnosis this the hospital did a CT scan and found a 9 cm tumor on my right kidney. I had a full right nephrectomy in 2011 and have been cancer free since. For the first year I had 3 month follow ups and then it went to every 6 months and now I am on yearly follow-ups for next 6 years. I do blood lab tests every year, chest x-rays every so often and CT scans about a couple of years apart. I have had no adverse effects of living with a single kidney and feel fully healthy. My left kidney is functioning better than the two. Life is good.

Comment from: spirit0323, 65-74 Male (Caregiver) Published: March 26

My husband had a small lump on the left side and when the CT was done it showed a large mass of 7 cm on the right kidney. Nothing on left! I got him to the cancer center. They did cryosurgery; that was in 2005. He has been good since then, just started getting RBCs in his urine. He did not have any portion of his kidney removed.

Comment from: Dave V., 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: March 09

In late 2011 I had blood in my urine. I went to a urologist who took samples but was unable to determine what the cause of the bleeding was. I had a CT scan and it showed a small growth in the kidney and ureter. I went in to the hospital so the urologist could insert a catheter into the kidney to do a biopsy, and if the tumors were cancerous and small he was going to laser them. As it turned out I was not so lucky and surgery was set up to remove the right kidney and ureter. He was sure all the cancer was removed. Three months (February 2012) later a scope of my bladder showed cancer and this time I went in for a round of chemotherapy. A PET scan in May 2012 showed no cancer, a PET scan in late 2012 showed cancer in my prostate and bladder so I had surgery in December to remove the bladder, prostate and 16 lymph nodes. I had a PET scan every 3 months and in late 2013 cancer showed up in my urethra, again I went in for surgery to remove it and was told it was all removed. Again, I had PET scans every 3 months and in June a PET scan showed I had coronary artery blockage and a nonfunctioning thyroid. In July I had stents put in my heart which was not a major problem, until the September scan showed that the cancer had returned, this time in my liver. After the stents were put in my heart I was put on Plavix for life which is a blood thinner and anti-coagulant which meant I could not quit taking it for any reason, even surgery. My oncologist needed a biopsy to determine the type of cancer, whether it was a new cancer in a new location or old cancer in a new location, metastatic or not. He consulted my cardiologist who said I could not stop taking my medications for a standard biopsy, it was however, determined that enough tissue could be acquired by doing a thin needle biopsy which wouldn't require taking me off the medications. The biopsy confirmed it was the old cancer in a new location, metastatic liver cancer. I had chemotherapy for 3 cycles 3 weeks apart, took 7 hours to infuse the drugs each time. After that I went in for 5 treatments of radiation to try and shrink the tumor in the liver and then I went back in for chemotherapy again for 3 more cycles of chemotherapy. I had a PET scan 03/03/2015. I picked up a copy of the scan and radiologist report today, 03/05/2015. From what I can determine the scan shows no active cancer, but I'm not a doctor. I'm sure my oncologist is going to call in a day or so to go over the report so I will know for sure if I've beaten cancer, again. At least until the end of the year. Good luck all.

Comment from: Connie, 55-64 Female (Caregiver) Published: July 09

My husband had his left kidney removed 13 years ago as he had kidney cancer, and back in December he experienced back pain. An MRI scan found lesions in L5 and lung, stage 4. He has had radiation and now taking Votrient.

Comment from: molly, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: November 12

It will be 4 years on December 15 that I was diagnosed with kidney cancer. It was treated by freezing. All my checkups have been good. My doctor says if I make it 5 years we can consider it cured. I am still worried.

Comment from: bodgie, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: December 12

I have extreme night sweet's and get very tired and short of breath when doing menial tasks, I tend to fall to sleep when relaxed that could be any time of the day, I did not rely have any other symptoms my doctor sent me for a CT can and an ultra sound. They both found a 5cm tumor in my left kidney as it is quite large my urologist is now arranging for the kidney to be removed. I now tell anyone do not ignore anything, All I did was sweet without reason, there is always a reason.

Kidney Cancer - Symptoms Question: What were your symptoms of kidney cancer?
Kidney Cancer - Prognosis Question: What is the prognosis for your kidney cancer?
Kidney Cancer - Risk Factors Question: What risk factors did you or someone you know have for kidney cancer?
Kidney Cancer - Diagnosis Question: How was your kidney cancer diagnosed?
Kidney Cancer - Follow-up Care Question: What type of follow-up care have you, a friend, or relative received for kidney cancer?