Patient Comments: Kidney Cancer - Prognosis

Question:What is the prognosis for your kidney cancer?

Comment from: tammy, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 09

I am a forty nine year old female I was told six months ago that I have three mass on the right side if my kidneys and cysts on my left the doctor told me they are the size of a raisin so I am to see him back on May 10, 2012. I am so scared because he told me that he was trying to c he they are going to grow but I have real bad pain but he told me that it was all in my head. Please help me.

Comment from: thankfulwife, 55-64 Male (Caregiver) Published: December 27

My husband had left sided pain which they first thought was a kidney stone but then diagnosed as diverticulitis. He was in the hospital & they did a CT scan with dye and found the kidney cancer then. He was referred to a urologist who specializes in oncologic urinary tract cancer who is one of a few who remove the kidney laproscopically. It was found early with no other metasticized cancer so now he has to have a cystoscpic exam every 3 months for a year then once a year. We feel very fortunate it was found early and no chemo. Praise to God for the tests that found it before it could spread and we hope everyone who has kidney cancer will find it early like his. The specialist said this type of cancer is almost always caused from smoking which my husband had smoked for over 30 years but quit a year ago using an electronic cigarette. The Dr's approve of this method to quit since the only thing you get from the e-cig is nicotine and cigarettes have over 4,000 carcinogens in them.

Comment from: Sophiasgram, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 24

I had weird pain on the right side of my body and my family doctor sent me for a CT scan that was 4 months ago and 5 tests later. The initial diagnosis was there was a 2 cm tumor in the beginning of my right kidney. The Urologist I saw does not do biopsies as they said that they aren't certain, so the only recourse is to remove the kidney and then they biopsy. I had robotic surgery almost 3 weeks now to remove the kidney, as it was cancerous. The doctor said that the prognosis is good as it was contained. All I have to do now is go back in a year for some tests. I tell everyone, if you have weird pains please get them checked out because that is the only symptom I had. It was caught in time.

Comment from: Luka, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: July 21

I had a spinal tap five days ago ,I've been having severe headaches and nausea, so they did a spinal tap to see if there was any bleeding on the brain .I still don't know what's wrong or why I'm having these headaches. I was discharged the next day with Panadol. Today is day five and I feel worse than before I went to hospital. No one explained the side effects of a spinal tap. I'm still in bed can't move from the pain. I wish I had never had the spinal tap at all.

Comment from: Savalia, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 22

I went to the emergency room for something else and had a C scan done. They found an 8 cm tumor on my right kidney. I had no signs at all, just got lucky I guess that I had to have the scan. They are going to remove the whole kidney and I am scared. They did some more scans and do not see any tumors elsewhere.

Comment from: corene, 75 or over Female (Caregiver) Published: June 25

my sister has kidney cancer, she also has a tumor, she does not wont surgery, how long can a person live like that

Comment from: WYOGAL, 55-64 Female (Caregiver) Published: May 01

My husband was misdiagnosed in February with kidney failure from a bacterial infection. They did an ultrasound and totally missed a huge 3-inch Level 4 Bosniak tumor on his right kidney, certainly cancer. They said at that awful hospital they had found a small 5-mm benign cyst on his right kidney that was “no big deal,” – exact words. She was cruel to him at the first hospital and they refused to call in a kidney specialist. He almost died and was in for two weeks back then. The new doctor found the tumor on last month, but I wonder why they are making him wait so long to remove his kidney? He has been to the ER three times to get stabilized since being diagnosed, is sleeping 24/7, is in serious pain, and the high power meds are not helping him. His back, shoulders, stomach, etc., hurt – especially his bones. He is itchy, has no color, no appetite, and runs a low-grade fever. We lost our life savings to his medical and insurance bills, as it took five years to get his SSDI, and not a cent of back pay. We are stuck in a place that only has two hospitals.

Kidney Cancer - Symptoms Question: What were your symptoms of kidney cancer?
Kidney Cancer - Treatment Question: What was the treatment for your kidney cancer?
Kidney Cancer - Risk Factors Question: What risk factors did you or someone you know have for kidney cancer?
Kidney Cancer - Diagnosis Question: How was your kidney cancer diagnosed?
Kidney Cancer - Follow-up Care Question: What type of follow-up care have you, a friend, or relative received for kidney cancer?