Patient Comments: Kidney Cancer - Prognosis

Question:What is the prognosis for your kidney cancer?

Comment from: Donna, 65-74 Male (Caregiver) Published: March 14

My husband was in an ATV accident and while in the hospital, found he had kidney cancer. His left kidney was removed. He followed up with CT scans every 6 months and a tumor was found on his right lung. Surgeons removed the lower lobe of his lung. Two years later, another CT scan showed a brain tumor, which was also removed. He then had tumors on his spine, which were also removed and will have more surgery soon. He has recovered nicely through all of this. Keep up your good spirits and have a good outlook.

Comment from: wasaga beach, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: December 03

In 2005 I had a radical nephrectomy, in other words they removed my left kidney, left adrenal gland, spleen and a piece of my pancreas. In 2009 I had a piece of my right adrenal removed, my doctor called it a nike nick haha. It is now Nov.30 2012 still very active and plan on being around a lot longer.

Comment from: pat, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: September 26

I had blood in my urine 10 weeks ago. Two weeks later I finally got a CT scan. After another two week wait I went to see the surgeon who told me I have a 7 cm tumor and my kidney would have to be removed. They said I would be on the urgent surgery list. Three weeks ago they gave me a date for surgery and the next day canceled it. At this moment in time I'm still working even though I have severe back pain. But I will have to plod on until they give me a definite date.

Comment from: 45-54 Female Published: August 20

I had what I thought was tailbone pain. I let it go for about three months and finally went to the doctor. After my doctor performed a few test by pushing on my tailbone he did not think it was my tailbone at all, so he thought it was best to have a ct scan done and thats when a tumor on my right kidney was discovered. I had my right kidney and adrinal gland removed on March 5th 2012. I really had no side effects to the kidney cancer I just seem to get really tired from my adrinal gland being gone. The weird part is even though my tailbone pain had nothing to do with my kidney cancer it really saved me because it brought me in to see my doctor even though the tailbone pain is still there.

Comment from: El Torro, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: November 19

I'm new to all of this (regrettably). I was having some back pain and pain in the right side of my tummy. My GP sent me for an ultrasound last Wednesday and they detected a lump in a kidney. A subsequent CT scan (not originally planned) was done with the result that the "lump" was named as a cancerous tumor. Now I am waiting to hear from the next stage of treatment to get rid of this thing, which has apparently already spread to one of my lungs. I am told they do miraculous things these days. I hope they do. Moral of the story? If it hurts, get it checked.

Comment from: marie, 45-54 Female (Caregiver) Published: March 07

My mom was having blood in her urine and my dad took her to the ER and they did a CT scan on her. An hour later the doctor came in the room and told her she had cancer on her kidney. Renal cell carcinoma she had her left kidney removed 11 years ago. They told her she was cancer free, but 11 years later it showed up again but this time in her stomach, lungs and her right kidney. She started treatment right away but it didn't help she is in stage 4 she is now on hospice and they gave her 6 months that will be up in May.

Comment from: Age 70, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: February 16

My cardiologist ordered an echocardiogram of my heart, my heart was OK, but the technician noted that there was a spot on my left kidney. I saw my urologist who ordered a CAT scan, and it reflected a tumor 1.2cm (0.47 inches), on my left kidney, that did not appear to have invaded the interior of the kidney. I go in February 19th, for cryogenic (freezing) surgery for the removal of the tumor. I am just thankful (and lucky) that my cardiologist ordered an echocardiogram (my last was 5 years ago), and that the technician spotted the tumor on my left kidney! Full recovery is anticipated.

Kidney Cancer - Symptoms Question: What were your symptoms of kidney cancer?
Kidney Cancer - Treatment Question: What was the treatment for your kidney cancer?
Kidney Cancer - Risk Factors Question: What risk factors did you or someone you know have for kidney cancer?
Kidney Cancer - Diagnosis Question: How was your kidney cancer diagnosed?
Kidney Cancer - Follow-up Care Question: What type of follow-up care have you, a friend, or relative received for kidney cancer?