GENERIC AVAILABLE: Yes
PREPARATIONS: Tablets: 200 mg; Shampoo: 1% and 2%; Cream: 2%, Gel: 2%, Foam: 2%
- Store tablets at room temperature, 15 C to 25 C (59 F to 77 F) and protected from moisture.
- Store shampoo 1% between 2 C to 30 C (35 F to 86 F) and protected from light and freezing.
- Store shampoo 2% at or below 25 C (77 F) and protected from light.
- Store cream and foam at room temperature, 20 C to 25 C (68 F to 77 F).
- Store gel between 15C to 30 C (59 F to 86 F).
DOSING: Ketoconazole may be taken with or without food. The oral dose range is 200-400 mg daily. Recurrent tinea versicolor is treated with 400 mg monthly. Topical formulations are administered to affected areas once or twice daily.
DRUG INTERACTIONS: There are no known drug interactions with topical ketoconazole.
Ketoconazole tablets require stomach acidity to dissolve. Therefore, ketoconazole should be administered at least two hours before taking antacids or other acid reducing medications such as cimetidine (Tagamet) or ranitidine (Zantac). Combining ketoconazole with alcohol may cause a very unpleasant reaction (disulfiram reaction).
Rifampin (Rifadin, Rimactane, Rifamate, Rifater) reduces the blood concentration of oral ketoconazole, probably by increasing the elimination of fluconazole by the liver. This may reduce the effectiveness of ketoconazole.
Quick GuideInfectious Mononucleosis Pictures Slideshow
Report Problems to the Food and Drug Administration
You are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.
Need help identifying pills and medications?
Use the pill identifier tool on RxList.