Patient Comments: Keratosis Pilaris - Cause

What was the cause of your keratosis pilaris?

A Doctor's View on Keratosis Pilaris Causes

Read the Comment by Gary W. Cole, MD, FAAD

Small elevations of skin around the hair follicles cause keratosis pilaris (KP). The condition does not seem to be tied to diet, allergies, or vitamin deficiency. Some researchers speculate that ingrown hairs may cause keratosis pilaris. Read the entire Doctor's View

Comment from: SchrodingersMu, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: September 17

I'm 25 and I have had keratosis pilaris (KP) for 15 years. I have been in Japan for 3 months now and have realized that my skin seems oilier and my KP has significantly diminished. The largest change to my diet, by far, has been the reduction of dairy products and products produced by cows. I ate cheese made from bovine milk just to test and it seems that the KP has returned a bit.

Comment from: Norma, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: August 07

The cause of my keratosis pilaris (KP) appears to be hereditary. I had it at the top of my shoulders. In 2011, I had cancer and took 4 treatments of chemotherapy. Chemotherapy had to be stopped due to side effects. After receiving chemotherapy, KP appeared all over my body. Especially, the worst is on my forearms, very thick. It's just horrible. After I had chemotherapy, every health issue that I had before was made worse. I don't like the prescription my doctor gave me as it is very greasy.

Comment from: Gretchen, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: August 17

I, too, have discovered the cause of my keratosis pilaris: bovine casein, the main protein in cow's milk. There is no doubt it's bovine casein. As long as I stay away from bovine casein, I don't get the rash. When I eat hard cheeses made from bovine milk, in about 3 days, the rash appears. Happens the same way every time I eat cheese made from cow's milk. I don't drink milk now as an adult, but I sure drank a lot of it when I was a child, and I had very obvious KP lesions on my jawline, back of the upper arms, and on the forearms, buttocks, and thighs. Goat's milk, and cheese from goat's milk, or sheep milk cheese doesn't cause this to happen. So, I really encourage anyone with KP to eliminate all cow milk products from their diet for a month, and see if the PK disappears. Then re-introduce bovine milk products again, and see if the lesions reappear.

Comment from: Hildismommy, Female (Patient) Published: April 27

I had KP when I was in elementary school. My Grandmother took me to our GP and she didn't know what it was called my father had it as well when he was younger. I took my daughter to her pediatrician for a checkup and we had noticed the bumps on her face, arms, and legs. The doctor said let's check on my daughters Keratosis I was floored this is the first time I ever found out what it was that we all had. Plus side she said that we will never have a problem with acne due to the fact that our face does not produce oil like people without KP.

Comment from: Sanrey, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: July 28

I believe my flare ups of keratosis pilaris are from the humidity down here in Florida. It flares up every summer. Avon used to sell a product that worked for me but they discontinued it.

Comment from: Michelle, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: July 22

I have had keratosis pilaris (KP) my whole life and just recently discovered what it was. Growing up, kids always asked me if I was cold because it resembles goose bumps. I was self-conscious about it up until a couple of years ago, as I have discovered on my own that moisturizing excessively is the only way to help it. Summer tan helps mine not be so noticeable and it only itches in the winter months. I also think it is improving with age like the article says... this is a relief. My mom and my sister also have KP. Those that suffer from KP should not feel bad about themselves for having it and if it affects so much of the population, why don't more people know about it? Why has no physician ever mentioned it to me before? It has only been brought to my attention since I have had children. They are likely to have it. Now I'll be able to help them.

Comment from: Christopher, (Patient) Published: May 17

It is vital to note that casein is in many different foods. Anyone interested in seeing if they can improve symptoms through diet should be very thorough and check all their food labels. Products that often have casein in them include cold cuts, candy, and bread products. Your best bet is to stick to a very simple diet of lean meats, fish, vegetables, and fruits for a month.

Keratosis Pilaris - Experience Question: Please describe your experience with keratosis pilaris (KP).
Keratosis Pilaris - Treatment Question: What was the treatment for your keratosis pilaris?
Keratosis Pilaris - Affected Areas Question: Where on your body do you have keratosis pilaris? Have you found an effective treatment?