Patient Comments: Keratosis Pilaris - Cause

What was the cause of your keratosis pilaris?

Comment from: latte73, Published: March 15

I'm 40, and believe I've had keratosis pilaris (KP) since I was 10 years old. I have always been allergic to dairy. I use soy and other non-dairy products. It seems to be worse in winter. I do not believe there is anything that makes it worse. I do know that bergamot, sunshine, lotions with alpha hydroxy acids and lotions with urea are the only things that have helped me. I have eliminated all kinds of things from my diet to find if there is a relation to foods. But that seems not to be the case at all. For me, KP is not food related.

Comment from: 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 14

EXFOLIATION! In the shower I use a sandpaper like foot callus file to exfoliate the skin on my upper arms and backs of my legs where I have it mostly. It knocks the tops off the pimples that are ready to open and gets rid of any dead/dry skin waiting to clog up other pores. This doesn't get rid of it all, but I see a huge improvement for me especially with regular doing. You have to go easy when you first start otherwise you will have red scraped and irritated skin. Try it, I promise you will see a difference in a couple of days. You need to then regularly exfoliate to keep the dead skin from accumulating. More often in the winter and less in the other less-drying seasons.

Comment from: Sephy.Sunshine, 13-18 Female (Patient) Published: June 09

I'm not entirely sure what caused my KP to flare up. I noticed it when I was about seven. I asked my parents why I was getting small bumps on my face & legs but they were baffled. My dad has had skin problems all of his life. He was diagnosed with psoriasis as a young adult. My mother never had any problem with her skin. It became worse as I got older. They began to appear on my face, upper arms, above my knees, below my buttocks and on my buttocks. I used to pop them as a child and sometimes still do as a young adult. They have somewhat vanished on my cheeks but have yet to disappear on my arms and legs. I'm not really sure what to do to get rid of them. There is a list of things that could possibly work and I have spoken to several dermatologists and apparently they don't know what KP is. I plan on trying the obvious treatments first then going to a doctor if it doesn't work.

Comment from: SAM, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: April 05

I have had good luck using aloe vera gel. It makes my skin feel smoother and less itchy, but you need to use it daily.

Published: July 12

I noticed I had red dry bumps all over my forearms and now some on my thighs. I have had these since before I could remember. Most of it has been mainly because of my exposure to the sun. I was very sensitive about it for years. I just now found out it was keratosis pilaris. I use a lot of lotions and have to be very careful with what soaps I use.

Comment from: PigLover, 13-18 Female (Patient) Published: June 29

I am 15 years old and I have keratosis pilaris on my upper arms and all over my thighs and knees. I have had it for as long as I can remember, and it has gotten better over time. But I am very self-conscious about my legs and almost never wear shorts or skirts or dresses because my legs just look terrible. I am trying to make it better by using Dove soap and using lotion three times a day in the winter and two times a day in the summer. The most important thing is to not give up hope!

Comment from: Happy Mum, 3-6 Female (Caregiver) Published: March 09

Two years ago my daughter, then 4 1/2 years old, had keratosis pilaris on her upper arms and tops of her thighs. After our GP told us that it was incurable, we reduced her dairy intake, using soy instead of milk and cutting out cheese and yogurt. Within 2 weeks the keratosis pilaris had disappeared and has not returned. She is still relatively dairy free as well.

Comment from: Joan Bond, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: September 07

Reasons for KP: 1. Possible heredity factors due to habits of eating passed generationally, so fix your diet! 2. Plugged hair follicles on skin, though this probably has a nutritional cause. 3. Inability to convert beta carotene into vitamin A - phrynoderma rare cause. 4. Deficiency of Vitamins A, E, and Mineral Zinc. 5. Poor intestinal health lack of correct bacteria or yeast fungus overgrowth, leading to poor digestion. 6. Low thyroid function hypothyroidism 7. Possible reaction to Bovine Casein (milk solids) found in dairy milk, cream, cheese, butter. Solutions for KP: 1. Eat raw veggies and fish, lean meat, skip bovine dairy, use palm sugar (from coconut) instead, fish, and drastically lower carbs, no white carbs use black/red/ or brown rice, quinoa, etc. Avoid cane sugar, and wheat. 2. Wax arms and legs where it occurs. This may remove the keratin plug near hair follicle that causes the bump and will remove dry, scaly skin. Use Cetaphil cream on areas after waxing, to moisten skin. Drink water! 3. Multivitamin-Multimineral supplement plus extra Vitamin E for 400 IU, Zinc not to exceed 100 mgs daily, Omega-3 supplements, and diet to include raw leafy greens like kale, chard, and raw or cooked carrots, yellow squashes. 4. Lots of cultured yoghurt, non-fat, non-sugar forms. Probiotics to include lactobacillus acidophilus, and bifidus strains. Digestive enzymes (no hydrochloric stomach acid) with probiotics is great! 5. Take Thyroid Glandular supplements, and also Adrenal Gland Extract. Should be ok, but if on meds, check with your doctor first. 6. Also for Thyroid and Adrenals, take Iodine in seaweed salad or soup or cooked form, such as Kelp, toasted seaweed like Nori, or capsules of chlorella, spirulina, blue-green algae, etc. Iodine helps skin and hair, is digestible protein source, helps boost thyroid and adrenal glands, and detoxes body (Chlorella). 7. Take Selenium from 2 raw Brazil nuts daily or supplements as it absorbs well with Iodine. 8. Avoid bovine dairy products for a while to aid digestion. Cow milk is hard to digest. Use goat milk cheese, and soy or coconut milk replacements.

Keratosis Pilaris - Experience Question: Please describe your experience with keratosis pilaris (KP).
Keratosis Pilaris - Treatment Question: What was the treatment for your keratosis pilaris?
Keratosis Pilaris - Affected Areas Question: Where on your body do you have keratosis pilaris? Have you found an effective treatment?