Patient Comments: Keloid - Causes

What caused your keloid(s)?

Comment from: ROSIE W., 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: September 04

I developed my first keloid at age 30 when I had a tubal ligation, it looks like a raised flower around my navel. My second one was at age 50 when I had a hysterectomy. I was cut straight across and it's a very large raised looking worm. It itches constantly and is painful to touch, the only good thing with both is that they aren't visible. At 53 I now need to get my thyroid removed and very afraid of a scar across my neck.

Comment from: Roxy, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: August 25

My keloids are caused by chicken pox.

Comment from: david h, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: April 16

I had a pimple on my chest. I popped it and it ended up growing into a keloid. I went to doctor to have it surgically removed, all that did was aggravate it and make it bigger and now it is spreading.

Comment from: SHAHBAZ, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: April 14

I got superficial burn which caused keloid after some months. I still have keloid on both my hands though it is reducing in size day by day but progress is very slow.

Comment from: Marian, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: December 10

I got my keloids due to chicken pox when I was 10 years old. I have 5 disturbing keloids, 2 on my right arm, 1 on my left, 1 at the back of my leftmost neck and one on my leftmost part of the chest. My keloids give me pain whenever the weather starts to change. I can't wear sleeveless shirts and it gives me psychological distress. We tried to see a doctor and gave me some shots but it didn't last out. I sometimes think how unlucky I am because of my keloids since these are the hindrance to my dreams. I am still looking forward that one day my keloids will be gone.

Comment from: TD, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: June 30

I have a painful 'pump bump' because of bone spur and cannot get any relief.

Comment from: CHUPZ, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: August 05

I have a keloid on my chest just below the neck since my toddler age, it was there since my memory begins. I heard from my parents it was after a type of eczema I suffered when I was 2 years. This was treated with steroid injection and nitrogen spray which made it look uglier. I didn't have any other keloids till I was in my twenties. Now I am 33 and have numerous keloids on my back, both shoulders, chest, and jawline, probably from adulthood acne. They are terribly itchy and painful, more so at night.

Comment from: Tey329, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: July 07

I had keloids on my earlobe. When I was about 5 my mother had them burnt off and they never grew back, that was in 1997. But when I was about 14 or so I bumped my ear on some wood and that's when a huge keloid formed on the top of my ear. I had that one removed, cut actually, and the doctor injected it with steroids. I don't think steroids is a good method for keloids, steroids make the body grow and that's what it did! I believe the steroid triggered my body to form even more keloids. Now I have some on my chest and on my back and even my vagina. I'm just trying to find a treatment that will work.

Comment from: Anujwa, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: May 30

I have keloids all over my body, especially on my legs and on my right shoulder. These developed over the years from my childhood to adult following sores or accidental cuts or abrasions. The one on my shoulder is due to injection when I was hospitalized in my teen years. Most painful and stressful one is on my chest caused by acne scar. I had it surgically removed, followed by doses of irradiation in 2011. But it has returned with a vengeance. It has grown twice its original size and growing. Now its dimensions are 60 mm X 110 mm (on my chest right between my nipples). It is now extremely sensitive to touch, very itchy and bleeds from its periphery due to internal pressure of collagen build up.

Keloid - Effective Treatments Question: What kinds of treatments have been effective for your keloid?
Keloid - Symptoms Question: Describe the signs and symptoms associated with your keloid.
Keloid - Body Piercings Question: Did you develop a keloid after a body piercing? Please share your experience.
Keloid - Experience Question: Please describe your experience with keloids.
Keloid - Body Location Question: If you had a keloid, where on your body was it located?