Patient Comments: Keloid - Causes

What caused your keloid(s)?

Comment from: Marsha, Female Published: November 06

When I was 46 I woke up at 3 am on my left side, looking up. The room was spinning. I moved to my right side in a fetal position until I felt better. I woke my husband. I said I thought I had a stroke. We sat outside until I felt better. I went to the emergency room the next morning. They diagnosed me with vertigo. I did not have another episode until I was 62. I was swimming (elementary backstroke) in a pool. I did not concentrate. I swam into the end of the pool, hit my head, and immediately got vertigo. I have been to an ENT, also physical therapist. They worked with me for 3 weeks. It got better. I still have vertigo almost every day, if I look up just a little. I have been having scans for an unrelated health issue. I am having a PET scan next week. I will have to look straight up while I am on my back. My primary care physician has given me patches for motion sickness and 2 Valium. I am very anxious. The last time I had a scan I got vertigo, yelled, and cried. It is awful.

Comment from: Kate, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: October 15

I don't normally get keloid scar but I had my thyroid removed and ended up with the worst looking red scar across my neck. No hiding it or wearing necklaces because it feels like a bad burn or feels prickly most of the time. I've left mine as I don't won't to risk making it worse, and really worse things could happen to me!

Comment from: ROSIE W., 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: September 04

I developed my first keloid at age 30 when I had a tubal ligation, it looks like a raised flower around my navel. My second one was at age 50 when I had a hysterectomy. I was cut straight across and it's a very large raised looking worm. It itches constantly and is painful to touch, the only good thing with both is that they aren't visible. At 53 I now need to get my thyroid removed and very afraid of a scar across my neck.

Comment from: Roxy, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: August 25

My keloids are caused by chicken pox.

Comment from: david h, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: April 16

I had a pimple on my chest. I popped it and it ended up growing into a keloid. I went to doctor to have it surgically removed, all that did was aggravate it and make it bigger and now it is spreading.

Comment from: TD, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: June 30

I have a painful 'pump bump' because of bone spur and cannot get any relief.

Comment from: SHAHBAZ, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: April 14

I got superficial burn which caused keloid after some months. I still have keloid on both my hands though it is reducing in size day by day but progress is very slow.

Comment from: Marian, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: December 10

I got my keloids due to chicken pox when I was 10 years old. I have 5 disturbing keloids, 2 on my right arm, 1 on my left, 1 at the back of my leftmost neck and one on my leftmost part of the chest. My keloids give me pain whenever the weather starts to change. I can't wear sleeveless shirts and it gives me psychological distress. We tried to see a doctor and gave me some shots but it didn't last out. I sometimes think how unlucky I am because of my keloids since these are the hindrance to my dreams. I am still looking forward that one day my keloids will be gone.

Keloid - Effective Treatments Question: What kinds of treatments have been effective for your keloid?
Keloid - Symptoms Question: Describe the signs and symptoms associated with your keloid.
Keloid - Body Piercings Question: Did you develop a keloid after a body piercing? Please share your experience.
Keloid - Experience Question: Please describe your experience with keloids.
Keloid - Body Location Question: If you had a keloid, where on your body was it located?