Patient Comments: Keloid - Causes

What caused your keloid(s)?

Comment from: eagleswings311, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: February 11

After I had aortic valve replacement surgery in 2014, the keloid appeared. Since my skin is a lovely shade of brown, my keloid is not pink. It is darker than my skin color. Sometimes it itches, at other moments, there is some pain. I have also noticed that some of the darker places peel. I tried receiving injections from a dermatologist, but the treatment was too painful to continue. I have tried rubbing the following on it, but to no avail; petroleum jelly, shea butter with oatmeal in lotion form, vitamin E, and Derma-E scar gel. It appears that I am wasting money. If there is a way to shrink, lighten or even do away with this keloid, without endangering my artificial heart valve, I would like to know what it is.

Comment from: Lori, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: February 10

I was walking in a poorly lit garage after having my eyes dilated. I didn't see the concrete tire stopper and tripped. I felt both a pop and a tearing sensation as I was flying through the air. I'm generally pretty stoic but when I landed on the ground I was in so much pain all I could do with writhe and moan. The pressure of the concrete floor on the back of my thigh was too painful to bear so I turned onto my stomach. I was taken by ambulance to the emergency room where I was diagnosed (after an MRI) with a full thickness tear of 3 hamstring tendons.

Comment from: Marsha, Female Published: November 06

When I was 46 I woke up at 3 am on my left side, looking up. The room was spinning. I moved to my right side in a fetal position until I felt better. I woke my husband. I said I thought I had a stroke. We sat outside until I felt better. I went to the emergency room the next morning. They diagnosed me with vertigo. I did not have another episode until I was 62. I was swimming (elementary backstroke) in a pool. I did not concentrate. I swam into the end of the pool, hit my head, and immediately got vertigo. I have been to an ENT, also physical therapist. They worked with me for 3 weeks. It got better. I still have vertigo almost every day, if I look up just a little. I have been having scans for an unrelated health issue. I am having a PET scan next week. I will have to look straight up while I am on my back. My primary care physician has given me patches for motion sickness and 2 Valium. I am very anxious. The last time I had a scan I got vertigo, yelled, and cried. It is awful.

Comment from: Kate, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: October 15

I don't normally get keloid scar but I had my thyroid removed and ended up with the worst looking red scar across my neck. No hiding it or wearing necklaces because it feels like a bad burn or feels prickly most of the time. I've left mine as I don't won't to risk making it worse, and really worse things could happen to me!

Comment from: ROSIE W., 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: September 04

I developed my first keloid at age 30 when I had a tubal ligation, it looks like a raised flower around my navel. My second one was at age 50 when I had a hysterectomy. I was cut straight across and it's a very large raised looking worm. It itches constantly and is painful to touch, the only good thing with both is that they aren't visible. At 53 I now need to get my thyroid removed and very afraid of a scar across my neck.

Comment from: Benson, Female (Caregiver) Published: April 13

I am just taking toothpaste, ash, omeprazole and other antacids such as Allucid for GERD but all in all I am getting worse from acidity and bloating, am suffering seriously.

Comment from: Roxy, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: August 25

My keloids are caused by chicken pox.

Keloid - Effective Treatments Question: What kinds of treatments have been effective for your keloid?
Keloid - Symptoms Question: Describe the signs and symptoms associated with your keloid.
Keloid - Body Piercings Question: Did you develop a keloid after a body piercing? Please share your experience.
Keloid - Experience Question: Please describe your experience with keloids.
Keloid - Body Location Question: If you had a keloid, where on your body was it located?