Patient Comments: Keloid - Causes

What caused your keloid(s)?

Comment from: Anujwa, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: May 30

I have keloids all over my body, especially on my legs and on my right shoulder. These developed over the years from my childhood to adult following sores or accidental cuts or abrasions. The one on my shoulder is due to injection when I was hospitalized in my teen years. Most painful and stressful one is on my chest caused by acne scar. I had it surgically removed, followed by doses of irradiation in 2011. But it has returned with a vengeance. It has grown twice its original size and growing. Now its dimensions are 60 mm X 110 mm (on my chest right between my nipples). It is now extremely sensitive to touch, very itchy and bleeds from its periphery due to internal pressure of collagen build up.

Comment from: MMcG, 19-24 Male (Patient) Published: May 23

I started getting keloids at around 16 on my chest wall. I kept thinking it was normal acne for a few years caused by ingrown hairs and stress, until I got it looked it by a dermatologist, but I've not been given a clear answer as to what it was or even any real options. It seems over the next few years my over consumption of sugary drinks (Mountain Dew) and poor diet have contributed to the growth, size and quantity of me keloids. I am also the only one in my family to suffer from this problem and wonder about my kids in the near future if they would get it.

Comment from: aiysha, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: April 22

My keloids were caused by surgery. The incisions seemed to be flat and healed nicely... until they started to become keloid. Now I have a long earth worm type one on my left side and two smaller ones a few inches under that; ugly but hidden.

Comment from: TD, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: June 30

I have a painful 'pump bump' because of bone spur and cannot get any relief.

Comment from: Bala, 35-44 Male (Caregiver) Published: December 20

I have a quite good number of keloids on my chest since almost 15-20 years. The initial one just appeared from nowhere and the rest started mushrooming as the years passed by. The size is variable depending on its age. On the biggest (oldest) one I had one steroid shot, but it was so very painful, I almost thought to have the keloid flourish instead. However, besides the pain, nothing happened to the scar and it is still growing. They are tender to touch and if it starts itching, it is severe and never seems to end, but you can't scratch it because it is painful when touched hard or scratched. That is a difficult situation. Applying some pain balm would relieve the scratching. I have scars on the shoulders also. The most noticeable one is on my upper sternum. The rest of them are hidden underneath the hairs over the chest. That is a relief LOL. Since injections are very painful (at least for me), and rest of the treatment modalities are said to be not quite effective, I would rather live with it and the cosmetic deformity, hiding it from others.

Comment from: baybeK8s, 35-44 Male (Caregiver) Published: July 09

My brother went to the barber shop and was nicked with a dull razor. Over several months he has developed a keloid along his hairline at the base of his neck. He has a 1 inch keloid at this moment and it appears another one is beginning to appear along side the first one.

Comment from: Shir, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: January 19

At the age of four (I am now 21) I had open heart surgery to patch up a hole in my heart the surgeon apparently didn't do a very good job sowing me up, used big staples and did it all zigzagged. I believe I would have developed keloid scarring no matter what considering it appears it runs in the family. As a little girl, the massive scar down the centre of my chest between my breasts was just a nuisance but by high-school, as you can imagine, it was very big and very unsightly and I was teased terribly by the guys in my classes. You cannot wear low rising shirts (when seriously, everything in the freaking shops and in fashion is low riding) and bars cause so much pain. The whole thing burns and sharp agonizing jolts of pain, like being stabbed, are a near constant side effect. I now have developed five across my shoulders from acne and a couple smaller on my chest. I hate them, I cry about them, and they make me feel ugly but hey that's life. I have fibromyalgia on top of it all. I think learning to deal with pain and everything else makes you stronger.

Keloid - Effective Treatments Question: What kinds of treatments have been effective for your keloid?
Keloid - Symptoms Question: Describe the signs and symptoms associated with your keloid.
Keloid - Body Piercings Question: Did you develop a keloid after a body piercing? Please share your experience.
Keloid - Experience Question: Please describe your experience with keloids.
Keloid - Body Location Question: If you had a keloid, where on your body was it located?