Patient Comments: Keloid - Causes

What caused your keloid(s)?

Comment from: MStine9, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: October 06

I had 5 doses of radiation at Cancer Center. They found 2 types of cancer in my left lung, the first one was from smoking and the second was the carcinoid tumor. I had 8 treatments in total. On my one month follow up everything was as expected. I have to go back in December, 2016 for another follow up.

Comment from: Rosa, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: September 27

I had surgery for a fractured humerus on 9/15, and on 7/16 another surgery to remove the intramedullary rod. There are keloids from both surgeries. It is like fire emitting, burning and sensitive to touch. Nothing has given relief. The area undergoes a lot of stretching as that is my shoulder.

Comment from: Jordan, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: September 07

My son would get a recurring abscess on his leg. After the 3rd round of antibiotics we decided to try Nuvaderm liquid. I read that it kills staph infections. Best thing I ever did because the next time he had it I put this stuff on (exceeding the affected area) and the next morning it was gone! There really is no guidance on how long to treat so I kept applying it for the next 9 days. Honestly I wish I could tell everyone that suffers from these things to try this because it was a miracle for us.

Comment from: infoseeker, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: May 24

My mother (68), vibrant and energetic, full of life got sick with pneumonia that wouldn't go away so during a CT scan they found the abdominal aortic aneurysm. A surgical repair was done and so began the nausea, vomiting and intermittent abdominal and back pain. Four weeks later she is still having the same issues. None before the surgery, only after. More tests have uncovered ulcer at the top of the stomach and bottom of esophagus, nine places in her stomach that were biopsied and a mass on her thyroid and adrenal glands. Not sure how to take the nausea, vomiting and loss of appetite. I'm not sure if it's more a mental thing or actually an issue that needs to be constantly pushed with the doctors. She has been back to the hospital for a 4 day stay and countless scans to be told all is okay if she takes the ulcer medicine and makes herself eat to coat the stomach, which she seems to not want to.

Comment from: eagleswings311, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: February 11

After I had aortic valve replacement surgery in 2014, the keloid appeared. Since my skin is a lovely shade of brown, my keloid is not pink. It is darker than my skin color. Sometimes it itches, at other moments, there is some pain. I have also noticed that some of the darker places peel. I tried receiving injections from a dermatologist, but the treatment was too painful to continue. I have tried rubbing the following on it, but to no avail; petroleum jelly, shea butter with oatmeal in lotion form, vitamin E, and Derma-E scar gel. It appears that I am wasting money. If there is a way to shrink, lighten or even do away with this keloid, without endangering my artificial heart valve, I would like to know what it is.

Keloid - Effective Treatments Question: What kinds of treatments have been effective for your keloid?
Keloid - Symptoms Question: Describe the signs and symptoms associated with your keloid.
Keloid - Body Piercings Question: Did you develop a keloid after a body piercing? Please share your experience.
Keloid - Experience Question: Please describe your experience with keloids.
Keloid - Body Location Question: If you had a keloid, where on your body was it located?