Patient Comments: Keloid - Causes

What caused your keloid(s)?

Comment from: Trinigirl, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: May 11

Hi, I am from Trinidad and Tobago and I have Keloids about my body that I'm longing to get rid of or flatten. I have had surgery done and they have increased sending out more. The one on my left breast is dangerously threatening to cover my nipple and this scares me.

Comment from: Carlyle197, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: March 08

I got a deep cut on my finger and did not receive any stitches. Now my cut is about a month old it is not healing properly and growing flesh is protruding from the area affected.

Comment from: shelmo, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 08

I have a 12 inch vertical keloid scar after hysterectomy. Although it's very ugly, the worst part is the itching and sensitivity.

Comment from: Brooklyn 5, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 03

I have had keloid since 5 years old from an old school shot. I am now 56 and last year had a mass removed from my chest. I have 2 large ones on my breast 2 over my breast from pimples and one in the middle of my neck also a large one covering my whole stomach. I had the one on my stomach removed 2 times and it came back bigger. My Doctor does not want me to try to have any surgery to try to remove it. I have had steroid and that hurts so I stop. I just have a positive outlook and keep smiling.

Comment from: Curios, 25-34 Male (Caregiver) Published: February 24

I have a friend who says he has keloid skin, but he doesn't have any abrasions on his skin, it's just dry. Are there any creams he could use besides Vaseline to help these reactions? Or does he just have it confused, because his doctors told him of this condition, or is it something you can grow out of.

Comment from: tragus, Female (Patient) Published: February 09

Thankfully my keloid is not that big at all actually...My main concern is whether it'll grow or not. I had my tragus pierced last year and I noticed that the scar was healing strangely after one month. Now you can see a small "bump" the size of a large zit right behind the piercing.

Comment from: alex, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: December 27

I thought I was alone but not, I feel like I have the most keloids (four) on my chest, three on my shoulder, one big one on my back. Other than the one on the shoulder, I don't even know how the other one came. I have tried, steroid and Laser and nothing worked. The pain and itch on the chest is unbearable. I hope no one gets it and someone find a treatment for this.

Comment from: chelax, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: August 13

My keloid developed after my primary school vaccination scar and they developed throughout the body. Then i later had chicken pox around age 28 and the scars developed to being keloid. I have not had any treatment and I fear that they might develop to cancer. I really want to know if they do. Also I would like to know where to get the ointment and treatment in southern Africa as my they are painful and growing.

Comment from: Freckles, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: June 08

Shoulder surgery at age 27 caused my keloid. Being a woman it looks ugly and people stare at it. I wish there was a home remedy to get rid of it, and also the itch and random sharp pains are so annoying. I read that children are not likely to get them, but my daughter got a large one on her knee at age 4 and my nephew also on his knee at age 11.

Keloid - Effective Treatments Question: What kinds of treatments have been effective for your keloid?
Keloid - Symptoms Question: Describe the signs and symptoms associated with your keloid.
Keloid - Body Piercings Question: Did you develop a keloid after a body piercing? Please share your experience.
Keloid - Experience Question: Please describe your experience with keloids.
Keloid - Body Location Question: If you had a keloid, where on your body was it located?