Patient Comments: Keloid - Causes

What caused your keloid(s)?

Comment from: lola, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: August 10

I have many keloids on my body too. Too many to count. Started from chicken pox as a kid. Tried to remove it via surgery and it came back with a vengeance. Any cut, surgery I've had formed keloids. I gave up after series of treatment from radiation, cryotherapy, Shea butter, python oil, etc. I've tried so much but no avail. Just had to accept myself as I am grateful for a wonderful husband who understands.

Comment from: Trent, 7-12 Male (Patient) Published: August 02

I was 5 years old, I was over my cousins house they had hangers all over the floor. I fell down and fell on one, it was a wire hanger. The hanger went straight into my shoulder. It had started off as a little tiny scar. My dad had went to get me a piercing at age 6, a day later I was stupid and poured out the stuff for the ear ring to heal. The hole started to close up, and it sounds gross but he had to bite the ring out the end of my ear. So at like age 7 the keloid started to get a little bigger. Then when I hit 9 it was big as heck!!

Comment from: jerry1320, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: July 11

I have had keloids on both shoulders from acne as a teenager. I tried Freon and steroid injections. Nothing helped with the pain or itching or growing size of the keloids. EXCEPT--getting older. They have since stopped growing and the discoloration remains, but at least they are not so prominent. They still itch and are sensitive when I bump them to other surfaces. Time seems to be the best healer.

Comment from: kathologist, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: July 11

At first, it was acne on my breast. Then in 2002, I had open heart surgery and even after rubbing Vitamin E oil on it a few times a day did nothing. It's big red and ugly, and starts above most necklines on clothing, and of course, the ugliest part is at the top. I had my surgery at UCMED in SF. They would not help me with the scarring, let alone the severe depression that hit me two weeks later, but I am alive, and I am not vain. It's just that it's tender and annoying.

Comment from: jay_dub65, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: June 30

I had Major Open heart surgery Feb. of 2009. I have Developed a large very prominent scar about 12"in long and it is very sensitive and also very much an embarrassment. My Dr is having me apply a liquid potassium iodide to the scar.

Comment from: John, 19-24 Male Published: June 30

I have a small keloid that is circular on my right arm. It was caused by having the Small Pox Vaccine before my deployment to Afghanistan. While other soldiers healed to a nice flat scar, I suffered of having the raised bump scar...the keloid. It's been 9 months since the shot and its still the same size; 3/4 of an inch in diameter.

Comment from: pipc, 13-18 Female (Patient) Published: June 15

I have double piercings in both my ears and only the second set developed a keloid (one in each ear). Before I knew what keloid was and that apparently I'm prone to them, I had my belly button pierced. At first keloid formed at the bottom of the piercing and then faded over time. However, last week the piercing caught on a chair I was moving and tugged at the piercing just enough to create a minor tear. Now, I have a keloid forming and it is so unsightly, painful, and itchy.

Comment from: luvn Jesus, 13-18 Female (Patient) Published: May 18

My 13 year old daughter has developed a keloid on her right ear after an ear piercing that would not heal. We had the surgery but it has returned bigger. I am now desperate for a cure. We refuse to believe that with today's technology there is no doctor that can successfully remove a keloid permanently.

Keloid - Effective Treatments Question: What kinds of treatments have been effective for your keloid?
Keloid - Symptoms Question: Describe the signs and symptoms associated with your keloid.
Keloid - Body Piercings Question: Did you develop a keloid after a body piercing? Please share your experience.
Keloid - Experience Question: Please describe your experience with keloids.
Keloid - Body Location Question: If you had a keloid, where on your body was it located?