Patient Comments: Keloid - Causes

What caused your keloid(s)?

Comment from: toetuuai, Female Published: May 20

I am 18 years old right now and my keloids look like I was born with them before I had an injection. I only had one injection, and that really hurt a lot so I was scared of the next one but I still insisted I get one because the biggest one I have is right above my breast and attracts a lot of attention when I show it. There is another one behind my right shoulder but that doesn't bother me as much. My mother is a nurse and I've asked her again and again if I can get surgery to remove both keloids or at least the one on my chest, because I live in Samoa so it gets very hot at time and who wears clothes that covers your whole body in an island that feels like a 100 degrees.

Published: March 16

I developed a keloid due to an injury on my chest. I had surgery to remove it and within 1 month, it reappears but even larger.

Comment from: Neera, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: February 24

It all started like a joke. I was with my friend one day having fun, she told me she was going to pierce her ear for a second hole and I said ok. She told me to try it too and I said no. I went home and I thought about it and I decided I want to do it, so I did it first it hurt so bad, but I just had to be brave. After a week it still hurt. I decided to take off the ear rings. I did and the pain reduced. After another week I noticed my earlobes were itchy and it felt as if there was something inside, it started growing and I didn't know what it was and the reason for its growth. After like a year and half I went to the hospital and I took injection (kenaloid injection) for 8 months because the doctors said it would cure it and it didn't so I stopped, after another year I went to clinic that claims it could cure it. Instead it grew bigger and right now I am tired of going through pain.

Comment from: WENN30, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: December 03

At age 12 I had plastic surgery to pin my ears back. My ears are small, but they stood away from my head and made me very self-conscious. Within 6 months of my surgery I developed keloids behind both ears. They itched terribly. I soon had to undergo another operation to remove them. I was given radiation treatments. That helped to prevent the return. I am now 68 years old, and had a breast reductions, and again developed keloids. I was injected with cortisone and they shrunk and disappeared. I've had a nose job and an eye lift, and was told that being cut internally would not produce keloids. They were right.

Comment from: unhappy, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: August 13

I am 54 and have had a keloid on my chest for the past 24 years. It developed from a spot - was about 1 cm., long and now it is about 6 inches long and still growing . I had steroid injections that were extremely painful and only made it worse, so I stopped having them as my keloid has grown even bigger. It is very painful and itchy. Rubbing Vitamin E helps. I find it so hard to buy clothes as most of the tops and blouses in the shops are low cut. I can never show my cleavage. Makes me feel so frumpy as I always keep the keloid covered. It hurts and burns and is often itchy. I also find it very hard lying on my side and doing exercises as stretching is painful. I hate it.

Comment from: sadhvi, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: February 01

I have a keloid on my shoulder and it has grown progressively since the past 10 years. At first I did not pay attention as it looked like a small pimple, but today 10 years later it has doubled if not tripled in size and really bothers me because it itches and seems to be growing. I have taken steroid injections and used the silicon patch. Neither of the two helped.

Comment from: AnonymousOne, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: December 28

I have had keloids since I was little. It started when I developed excessive acne on my back, shoulders, and chest. They are very itchy and sometimes painful. I have seen many doctors and they've all said the same thing. I'm going to have to live with these for the rest of my life and that removal of all of them, can result in more skin damage and more keloids to form. I'm currently seeing a Plastic Surgeon for my second try at steroid injections. For now, I can say that everything is going pretty well. The injections (even though they are extremely painful) are flattening them and making them less red and itchy. I wish I could've prevented them in the past.

Keloid - Effective Treatments Question: What kinds of treatments have been effective for your keloid?
Keloid - Symptoms Question: Describe the signs and symptoms associated with your keloid.
Keloid - Body Piercings Question: Did you develop a keloid after a body piercing? Please share your experience.
Keloid - Experience Question: Please describe your experience with keloids.
Keloid - Body Location Question: If you had a keloid, where on your body was it located?