Patient Comments: Keloid - Causes

What caused your keloid(s)?

Comment from: kathologist, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: July 11

At first, it was acne on my breast. Then in 2002, I had open heart surgery and even after rubbing Vitamin E oil on it a few times a day did nothing. It's big red and ugly, and starts above most necklines on clothing, and of course, the ugliest part is at the top. I had my surgery at UCMED in SF. They would not help me with the scarring, let alone the severe depression that hit me two weeks later, but I am alive, and I am not vain. It's just that it's tender and annoying.

Comment from: oc, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: July 08

I have keloid on my shoulder; I get cortisone injection every 3 months. My scar got flat for a while but after a year of not getting injected it starting to grow again. The injection is expensive but it's worth it as it eliminates itching. If the doctor doesn't inject more than what it should be, it should not hurt after the injection.

Comment from: jay_dub65, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: June 30

I had Major Open heart surgery Feb. of 2009. I have Developed a large very prominent scar about 12"in long and it is very sensitive and also very much an embarrassment. My Dr is having me apply a liquid potassium iodide to the scar.

Comment from: John, 19-24 Male Published: June 30

I have a small keloid that is circular on my right arm. It was caused by having the Small Pox Vaccine before my deployment to Afghanistan. While other soldiers healed to a nice flat scar, I suffered of having the raised bump scar...the keloid. It's been 9 months since the shot and its still the same size; 3/4 of an inch in diameter.

Comment from: pipc, 13-18 Female (Patient) Published: June 15

I have double piercings in both my ears and only the second set developed a keloid (one in each ear). Before I knew what keloid was and that apparently I'm prone to them, I had my belly button pierced. At first keloid formed at the bottom of the piercing and then faded over time. However, last week the piercing caught on a chair I was moving and tugged at the piercing just enough to create a minor tear. Now, I have a keloid forming and it is so unsightly, painful, and itchy.

Comment from: luvn Jesus, 13-18 Female (Patient) Published: May 18

My 13 year old daughter has developed a keloid on her right ear after an ear piercing that would not heal. We had the surgery but it has returned bigger. I am now desperate for a cure. We refuse to believe that with today's technology there is no doctor that can successfully remove a keloid permanently.

Published: May 12

I originally got a keloid when I was 12 after I had my ears pierced...only on 1 ear lobe. I had it removed with surgery...It never came back. Had a C-section with my child...no keloid. Had acne on my chest...now I have 2.. They really hurt and itch..I found that the itching subsides with cortisone cream or hydrocortisone. I have not revisited surgery because I am afraid that it will return.

Comment from: Mrs.Undercontrol, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: May 11

I first realized what keloids were after I had my chicken pox at the age of 12 years old which left 6 scares that continued to over heal that later caused the keloids. Since then I've had to deal with the constant itch and dramatic growth once I became pregnant, I have found that a steroid tape by the name of "CORDRAN TAPE" its been a life saver for me and it really works for big or small and will prevent new ones from starting if it is used right away after your wound heals. I hope this information help those that are desperate to get keloids under control.

Keloid - Effective Treatments Question: What kinds of treatments have been effective for your keloid?
Keloid - Symptoms Question: Describe the signs and symptoms associated with your keloid.
Keloid - Body Piercings Question: Did you develop a keloid after a body piercing? Please share your experience.
Keloid - Experience Question: Please describe your experience with keloids.
Keloid - Body Location Question: If you had a keloid, where on your body was it located?