Patient Comments: Keloid - Causes

What caused your keloid(s)?

Comment from: unhappy, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: August 13

I am 54 and have had a keloid on my chest for the past 24 years. It developed from a spot - was about 1 cm., long and now it is about 6 inches long and still growing . I had steroid injections that were extremely painful and only made it worse, so I stopped having them as my keloid has grown even bigger. It is very painful and itchy. Rubbing Vitamin E helps. I find it so hard to buy clothes as most of the tops and blouses in the shops are low cut. I can never show my cleavage. Makes me feel so frumpy as I always keep the keloid covered. It hurts and burns and is often itchy. I also find it very hard lying on my side and doing exercises as stretching is painful. I hate it.

Comment from: sadhvi, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: February 01

I have a keloid on my shoulder and it has grown progressively since the past 10 years. At first I did not pay attention as it looked like a small pimple, but today 10 years later it has doubled if not tripled in size and really bothers me because it itches and seems to be growing. I have taken steroid injections and used the silicon patch. Neither of the two helped.

Comment from: AnonymousOne, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: December 28

I have had keloids since I was little. It started when I developed excessive acne on my back, shoulders, and chest. They are very itchy and sometimes painful. I have seen many doctors and they've all said the same thing. I'm going to have to live with these for the rest of my life and that removal of all of them, can result in more skin damage and more keloids to form. I'm currently seeing a Plastic Surgeon for my second try at steroid injections. For now, I can say that everything is going pretty well. The injections (even though they are extremely painful) are flattening them and making them less red and itchy. I wish I could've prevented them in the past.

Comment from: Henny, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: November 30

I had a plastic surgeon remove a small skin cancer spot from my chest which was small (less than 1/2cm) and now the scar is 5cm long and more visible than the little spot that was there. Getting treatment now (steroid shots), see where that will take me. Surgery was 6 months ago, so hopefully we can stop it from getting bigger.

Comment from: Huey, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: November 08

I had a small cyst removed from my mid chest area 20 years ago. The surgeon never warned me about the propensity for this to turn into a keloid scar, even knowing my family history. It grew with rapidly and with both pain and itching. I had it treated very painfully with shots and then lasers about 10 years ago. Now, at age 67, it is 5 times wider, is still growing, itches continually, is very tender and often hurts a lot. Wow do I wish there were a cure!!!

Comment from: lola, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: August 10

I have many keloids on my body too. Too many to count. Started from chicken pox as a kid. Tried to remove it via surgery and it came back with a vengeance. Any cut, surgery I've had formed keloids. I gave up after series of treatment from radiation, cryotherapy, Shea butter, python oil, etc. I've tried so much but no avail. Just had to accept myself as I am grateful for a wonderful husband who understands.

Comment from: Trent, 7-12 Male (Patient) Published: August 02

I was 5 years old, I was over my cousins house they had hangers all over the floor. I fell down and fell on one, it was a wire hanger. The hanger went straight into my shoulder. It had started off as a little tiny scar. My dad had went to get me a piercing at age 6, a day later I was stupid and poured out the stuff for the ear ring to heal. The hole started to close up, and it sounds gross but he had to bite the ring out the end of my ear. So at like age 7 the keloid started to get a little bigger. Then when I hit 9 it was big as heck!!

Comment from: jerry1320, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: July 11

I have had keloids on both shoulders from acne as a teenager. I tried Freon and steroid injections. Nothing helped with the pain or itching or growing size of the keloids. EXCEPT--getting older. They have since stopped growing and the discoloration remains, but at least they are not so prominent. They still itch and are sensitive when I bump them to other surfaces. Time seems to be the best healer.

Keloid - Effective Treatments Question: What kinds of treatments have been effective for your keloid?
Keloid - Symptoms Question: Describe the signs and symptoms associated with your keloid.
Keloid - Body Piercings Question: Did you develop a keloid after a body piercing? Please share your experience.
Keloid - Experience Question: Please describe your experience with keloids.
Keloid - Body Location Question: If you had a keloid, where on your body was it located?