Patient Comments: Keloid - Causes

What caused your keloid(s)?

Comment from: MMcG, 19-24 Male (Patient) Published: May 23

I started getting keloids at around 16 on my chest wall. I kept thinking it was normal acne for a few years caused by ingrown hairs and stress, until I got it looked it by a dermatologist, but I've not been given a clear answer as to what it was or even any real options. It seems over the next few years my over consumption of sugary drinks (Mountain Dew) and poor diet have contributed to the growth, size and quantity of me keloids. I am also the only one in my family to suffer from this problem and wonder about my kids in the near future if they would get it.

Comment from: aiysha, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: April 22

My keloids were caused by surgery. The incisions seemed to be flat and healed nicely... until they started to become keloid. Now I have a long earth worm type one on my left side and two smaller ones a few inches under that; ugly but hidden.

Comment from: TD, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: June 30

I have a painful 'pump bump' because of bone spur and cannot get any relief.

Comment from: dani, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: February 17

I have keloids on my chest bone and pelvic area. Every time I remove hair from my underarms, a type of little pimple gets formed then I have to apply Bap Scar to not to let them form a keloid. I have stopped using anything on my pelvic area and injections are currently the treatment I am taking and it is working on my keloids.

Comment from: curvy150, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: December 10

I began developing keloids on both ears when I was about 11. From the age of 11 to the age of 33 I've had 7 surgeries. The first 6 were just excised and injected. The final 7th at age 33 was excised and I received a series of radiation treatment. It's been 15 years and they haven't returned. I will never pierce my ears again. I also have a very large keloid on my left upper back (bra strap covers it) which was removed once. It was initially the size of a peanut and grew to the size of a quarter before I removed it. I did not get the radiation at the time and it grew back bigger. It burns, itches and feels like pins piercing it but I have to live with it. It may have originated from a mosquito bite. Keloids are annoying but at least they're noncancerous. That's the way I have to look at them.

Comment from: thaby, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: June 24

I have a keloid on my pubic part, no known cause since I never had any injury except some pimple. I then had surgery and it is still growing, I then had steroid injection but to no avail.

Comment from: jhadee, Female (Patient) Published: June 20

I am 26 years old. I have keloids in the center of my chest and I'm worried about this. It came from a small pimple and now it is two inches. I haven't consulted the doctor, sometimes it is red and feels itchy.

Comment from: Bala, 35-44 Male (Caregiver) Published: December 20

I have a quite good number of keloids on my chest since almost 15-20 years. The initial one just appeared from nowhere and the rest started mushrooming as the years passed by. The size is variable depending on its age. On the biggest (oldest) one I had one steroid shot, but it was so very painful, I almost thought to have the keloid flourish instead. However, besides the pain, nothing happened to the scar and it is still growing. They are tender to touch and if it starts itching, it is severe and never seems to end, but you can't scratch it because it is painful when touched hard or scratched. That is a difficult situation. Applying some pain balm would relieve the scratching. I have scars on the shoulders also. The most noticeable one is on my upper sternum. The rest of them are hidden underneath the hairs over the chest. That is a relief LOL. Since injections are very painful (at least for me), and rest of the treatment modalities are said to be not quite effective, I would rather live with it and the cosmetic deformity, hiding it from others.

Keloid - Effective Treatments Question: What kinds of treatments have been effective for your keloid?
Keloid - Symptoms Question: Describe the signs and symptoms associated with your keloid.
Keloid - Body Piercings Question: Did you develop a keloid after a body piercing? Please share your experience.
Keloid - Experience Question: Please describe your experience with keloids.
Keloid - Body Location Question: If you had a keloid, where on your body was it located?