Patient Comments: Keloid - Causes

What caused your keloid(s)?

Comment from: kavita,Delhi, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: October 13

I had five keloids on different parts of my body. I tried cortisol injections and surgery on two large keloids, but they grow back larger.

Comment from: P. Lewis (Baltimore, MD), 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 10

Over 30 years ago, I had my ears pierced. After every surgery, the keloid grew back bigger and eventually down my face and under my chin. The injections did nothing but caused more pain. After 14 surgeries, I went to a radiation oncology doctor who performed radiation therapy on my face for five days immediately after they were removed surgically. It has been five years, and the keloids have NOT grown back. The area on my face where radiation therapy was given is smooth and flat. I get keloids easily, so I have had subsequent surgeries with radiation treatments performed on most of them. Ninety-five percent of the time it is effective.

Comment from: Mike Sing, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: October 10

I sustained a burn from a hot iron on my lower back when I was 2 or 3. It was a pretty small and flat scar up until it turned keloid when I was in my mid 20's. It's amazing to me that after more than 20 years it has developed. I am now trying cortisone injections because it's incredibly itchy and sticks out and catches on things, which causes a huge amount of pain and bleeding. Not sure if the injections are doing much, but I will persevere for another few months.

Comment from: newton59, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: June 09

I am 20 years old and I got a severe case of Shingles of the left cranial nerve that affected the left side of my face. I was left with several scars on the edge of my upper lip and side of my nose. They remain painful to the touch and raised. I have had six treatments of Cortizone injections with little change. I am told not to have them cut off as they may grow back bigger. They are on such a prominent part of my face and I am very embarrassed by them.

Comment from: toetuuai, Female Published: May 20

I am 18 years old right now and my keloids look like I was born with them before I had an injection. I only had one injection, and that really hurt a lot so I was scared of the next one but I still insisted I get one because the biggest one I have is right above my breast and attracts a lot of attention when I show it. There is another one behind my right shoulder but that doesn't bother me as much. My mother is a nurse and I've asked her again and again if I can get surgery to remove both keloids or at least the one on my chest, because I live in Samoa so it gets very hot at time and who wears clothes that covers your whole body in an island that feels like a 100 degrees.

Published: March 16

I developed a keloid due to an injury on my chest. I had surgery to remove it and within 1 month, it reappears but even larger.

Comment from: Neera, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: February 24

It all started like a joke. I was with my friend one day having fun, she told me she was going to pierce her ear for a second hole and I said ok. She told me to try it too and I said no. I went home and I thought about it and I decided I want to do it, so I did it first it hurt so bad, but I just had to be brave. After a week it still hurt. I decided to take off the ear rings. I did and the pain reduced. After another week I noticed my earlobes were itchy and it felt as if there was something inside, it started growing and I didn't know what it was and the reason for its growth. After like a year and half I went to the hospital and I took injection (kenaloid injection) for 8 months because the doctors said it would cure it and it didn't so I stopped, after another year I went to clinic that claims it could cure it. Instead it grew bigger and right now I am tired of going through pain.

Comment from: WENN30, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: December 03

At age 12 I had plastic surgery to pin my ears back. My ears are small, but they stood away from my head and made me very self-conscious. Within 6 months of my surgery I developed keloids behind both ears. They itched terribly. I soon had to undergo another operation to remove them. I was given radiation treatments. That helped to prevent the return. I am now 68 years old, and had a breast reductions, and again developed keloids. I was injected with cortisone and they shrunk and disappeared. I've had a nose job and an eye lift, and was told that being cut internally would not produce keloids. They were right.

Keloid - Effective Treatments Question: What kinds of treatments have been effective for your keloid?
Keloid - Symptoms Question: Describe the signs and symptoms associated with your keloid.
Keloid - Body Piercings Question: Did you develop a keloid after a body piercing? Please share your experience.
Keloid - Experience Question: Please describe your experience with keloids.
Keloid - Body Location Question: If you had a keloid, where on your body was it located?