Patient Comments: Keloid - Causes

What caused your keloid(s)?

Comment from: thaby, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: June 24

I have a keloid on my pubic part, no known cause since I never had any injury except some pimple. I then had surgery and it is still growing, I then had steroid injection but to no avail.

Comment from: jhadee, Female (Patient) Published: June 20

I am 26 years old. I have keloids in the center of my chest and I'm worried about this. It came from a small pimple and now it is two inches. I haven't consulted the doctor, sometimes it is red and feels itchy.

Comment from: Bala, 35-44 Male (Caregiver) Published: December 20

I have a quite good number of keloids on my chest since almost 15-20 years. The initial one just appeared from nowhere and the rest started mushrooming as the years passed by. The size is variable depending on its age. On the biggest (oldest) one I had one steroid shot, but it was so very painful, I almost thought to have the keloid flourish instead. However, besides the pain, nothing happened to the scar and it is still growing. They are tender to touch and if it starts itching, it is severe and never seems to end, but you can't scratch it because it is painful when touched hard or scratched. That is a difficult situation. Applying some pain balm would relieve the scratching. I have scars on the shoulders also. The most noticeable one is on my upper sternum. The rest of them are hidden underneath the hairs over the chest. That is a relief LOL. Since injections are very painful (at least for me), and rest of the treatment modalities are said to be not quite effective, I would rather live with it and the cosmetic deformity, hiding it from others.

Comment from: Shir, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: January 19

At the age of four (I am now 21) I had open heart surgery to patch up a hole in my heart the surgeon apparently didn't do a very good job sowing me up, used big staples and did it all zigzagged. I believe I would have developed keloid scarring no matter what considering it appears it runs in the family. As a little girl, the massive scar down the centre of my chest between my breasts was just a nuisance but by high-school, as you can imagine, it was very big and very unsightly and I was teased terribly by the guys in my classes. You cannot wear low rising shirts (when seriously, everything in the freaking shops and in fashion is low riding) and bars cause so much pain. The whole thing burns and sharp agonizing jolts of pain, like being stabbed, are a near constant side effect. I now have developed five across my shoulders from acne and a couple smaller on my chest. I hate them, I cry about them, and they make me feel ugly but hey that's life. I have fibromyalgia on top of it all. I think learning to deal with pain and everything else makes you stronger.

Comment from: baybeK8s, 35-44 Male (Caregiver) Published: July 09

My brother went to the barber shop and was nicked with a dull razor. Over several months he has developed a keloid along his hairline at the base of his neck. He has a 1 inch keloid at this moment and it appears another one is beginning to appear along side the first one.

Comment from: lexy, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: May 20

Four years ago, I had two tiny pimples on different spots on my chest. Now they have formed keloids. They are itchy from time to time. I visit the gym regularly and discovered that anytime I do a workout that involves my chest region, the keloids get itchy and increase in size. I really need to get these things off of me.

Comment from: dlclemnts, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 05

My keloid began as a small pimple on my chest back in the early 1980s. I had an injection, it flattened, and it never grew back. In the 1990s another one grew right under the old one, so I did the same remedies of tape and creams. The itching became so irritating that I went to a dermatologist and began steroid treatments. It really helped and started to flatten. Before I go to the dermatologist, I use a cream she gave me to apply 30 minutes before, and it numbs the area. That way, the injections don't hurt so badly. Ask your doctor to prescribe a numbing cream.

Keloid - Effective Treatments Question: What kinds of treatments have been effective for your keloid?
Keloid - Symptoms Question: Describe the signs and symptoms associated with your keloid.
Keloid - Body Piercings Question: Did you develop a keloid after a body piercing? Please share your experience.
Keloid - Experience Question: Please describe your experience with keloids.
Keloid - Body Location Question: If you had a keloid, where on your body was it located?