Patient Comments: Keloid - Causes

What caused your keloid(s)?

Comment from: CHUPZ, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: August 05

I have a keloid on my chest just below the neck since my toddler age, it was there since my memory begins. I heard from my parents it was after a type of eczema I suffered when I was 2 years. This was treated with steroid injection and nitrogen spray which made it look uglier. I didn't have any other keloids till I was in my twenties. Now I am 33 and have numerous keloids on my back, both shoulders, chest, and jawline, probably from adulthood acne. They are terribly itchy and painful, more so at night.

Comment from: Tey329, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: July 07

I had keloids on my earlobe. When I was about 5 my mother had them burnt off and they never grew back, that was in 1997. But when I was about 14 or so I bumped my ear on some wood and that's when a huge keloid formed on the top of my ear. I had that one removed, cut actually, and the doctor injected it with steroids. I don't think steroids is a good method for keloids, steroids make the body grow and that's what it did! I believe the steroid triggered my body to form even more keloids. Now I have some on my chest and on my back and even my vagina. I'm just trying to find a treatment that will work.

Comment from: Anujwa, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: May 30

I have keloids all over my body, especially on my legs and on my right shoulder. These developed over the years from my childhood to adult following sores or accidental cuts or abrasions. The one on my shoulder is due to injection when I was hospitalized in my teen years. Most painful and stressful one is on my chest caused by acne scar. I had it surgically removed, followed by doses of irradiation in 2011. But it has returned with a vengeance. It has grown twice its original size and growing. Now its dimensions are 60 mm X 110 mm (on my chest right between my nipples). It is now extremely sensitive to touch, very itchy and bleeds from its periphery due to internal pressure of collagen build up.

Comment from: MMcG, 19-24 Male (Patient) Published: May 23

I started getting keloids at around 16 on my chest wall. I kept thinking it was normal acne for a few years caused by ingrown hairs and stress, until I got it looked it by a dermatologist, but I've not been given a clear answer as to what it was or even any real options. It seems over the next few years my over consumption of sugary drinks (Mountain Dew) and poor diet have contributed to the growth, size and quantity of me keloids. I am also the only one in my family to suffer from this problem and wonder about my kids in the near future if they would get it.

Comment from: aiysha, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: April 22

My keloids were caused by surgery. The incisions seemed to be flat and healed nicely... until they started to become keloid. Now I have a long earth worm type one on my left side and two smaller ones a few inches under that; ugly but hidden.

Comment from: dani, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: February 17

I have keloids on my chest bone and pelvic area. Every time I remove hair from my underarms, a type of little pimple gets formed then I have to apply Bap Scar to not to let them form a keloid. I have stopped using anything on my pelvic area and injections are currently the treatment I am taking and it is working on my keloids.

Comment from: curvy150, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: December 10

I began developing keloids on both ears when I was about 11. From the age of 11 to the age of 33 I've had 7 surgeries. The first 6 were just excised and injected. The final 7th at age 33 was excised and I received a series of radiation treatment. It's been 15 years and they haven't returned. I will never pierce my ears again. I also have a very large keloid on my left upper back (bra strap covers it) which was removed once. It was initially the size of a peanut and grew to the size of a quarter before I removed it. I did not get the radiation at the time and it grew back bigger. It burns, itches and feels like pins piercing it but I have to live with it. It may have originated from a mosquito bite. Keloids are annoying but at least they're noncancerous. That's the way I have to look at them.

Keloid - Effective Treatments Question: What kinds of treatments have been effective for your keloid?
Keloid - Symptoms Question: Describe the signs and symptoms associated with your keloid.
Keloid - Body Piercings Question: Did you develop a keloid after a body piercing? Please share your experience.
Keloid - Experience Question: Please describe your experience with keloids.
Keloid - Body Location Question: If you had a keloid, where on your body was it located?