Patient Comments: Keloid - Causes

What caused your keloid(s)?

Comment from: Shir, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: January 19

At the age of four (I am now 21) I had open heart surgery to patch up a hole in my heart the surgeon apparently didn't do a very good job sowing me up, used big staples and did it all zigzagged. I believe I would have developed keloid scarring no matter what considering it appears it runs in the family. As a little girl, the massive scar down the centre of my chest between my breasts was just a nuisance but by high-school, as you can imagine, it was very big and very unsightly and I was teased terribly by the guys in my classes. You cannot wear low rising shirts (when seriously, everything in the freaking shops and in fashion is low riding) and bars cause so much pain. The whole thing burns and sharp agonizing jolts of pain, like being stabbed, are a near constant side effect. I now have developed five across my shoulders from acne and a couple smaller on my chest. I hate them, I cry about them, and they make me feel ugly but hey that's life. I have fibromyalgia on top of it all. I think learning to deal with pain and everything else makes you stronger.

Comment from: dlclemnts, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 05

My keloid began as a small pimple on my chest back in the early 1980s. I had an injection, it flattened, and it never grew back. In the 1990s another one grew right under the old one, so I did the same remedies of tape and creams. The itching became so irritating that I went to a dermatologist and began steroid treatments. It really helped and started to flatten. Before I go to the dermatologist, I use a cream she gave me to apply 30 minutes before, and it numbs the area. That way, the injections don't hurt so badly. Ask your doctor to prescribe a numbing cream.

Comment from: Sheena, 13-18 Female (Patient) Published: January 31

I'm a 17 year old girl from an Indian decent. I started developing keloids around the age of 12-13 after I started picking at my acne on my back. My first ever keloid however is on my chest, which is situated exactly on my right collarbone. I got it from a pair of scissors stabbing me while I was running with it. I have around 15-20 keloids on each side of my shoulders/black. I've been through steroid treatments and laser treatments but nothing has worked so far. I'm fearing the presence of new keloids and I have to be very careful with any type of scratches.

Comment from: StacyK, 35-44 Female Published: December 11

I have several keloids. I have 2 on my back. One from chicken pox and one from a cyst removal. My c-section scar has one too. The biggest and worst by far is the huge keloid on the bottom of my heel. It is so painful. I have had several surgeries on my heel and nothing has helped so far. The last surgery involved removal of the keloid, a skin graph and radiation. 2 1/2 years later, I am back in the same place I was before.

Comment from: Pinky, 75 or over Female Published: October 26

I had a blemish on my chin that just wouldn't heal and kept being opened. Finally this hard stuff began to form and I just found out today that it is called a Keloid. After reading all the troubles with removal I have decided that I will just have to live with it till something is found that is successful in permanently fixing it. It is right on my chin and I always feel it's the center of attention when people look at me. I have had gallbladder surgery and heart surgery prior and am extremely grateful that nothing like a Keloid developed in those areas. I guess I will just leave it alone and bite the bullet.

Comment from: 13-18 Female (Patient) Published: July 23

I am 14 and when I was 6 months old I had my ears pierced. It closed up by the time I was two and then I had them pierced again. I then developed keloids on both my ears where the old piercing was but the keloids never grew or anything. They were just swellings. Now I'm 14, they've started to hurt and feel hot.

Comment from: Giovanna, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: June 29

I developed my first Keloid when I was 5 years old from my school vaccination. The year was 1965. My parents took me to a top plastic surgeon who treated it with cortisone. It took 15 years for it to be flat. For any surgeries in my life, I have had the surgeon consult with a plastic surgeon before the operation. Usually cortisone is injected at the time of surgery and then a Keloid is not formed. The scar tissue looks a little obvious but no Keloid. Now, does anyone know is LASER HAIR REMOVAL is possible with my type of Keloid skin? I want it for my face but am so scared to proceed. Thanks for any info.

Keloid - Effective Treatments Question: What kinds of treatments have been effective for your keloid?
Keloid - Symptoms Question: Describe the signs and symptoms associated with your keloid.
Keloid - Body Piercings Question: Did you develop a keloid after a body piercing? Please share your experience.
Keloid - Experience Question: Please describe your experience with keloids.
Keloid - Body Location Question: If you had a keloid, where on your body was it located?