Patient Comments: Keloid - Experience

Please describe your experience with keloids.

Comment from: scar, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: December 02

I have started with laser hair removal treatment. This left a reddish bump on the right side of my face. I have been getting steroid injections. The doctor told me its keloid.

Comment from: shy, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: August 15

It all started with a tiny pimple. After a year, it grew bigger. I already have six keloid scars, one on each shoulder and four on my chest. Sometimes they're painful and itchy. They lower my self-confidence.

Comment from: Jaypi, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: August 05

I had my first four horrifying 1-inch) keloids after piercing my ears at 18 years old. Good thing is I saw a dermatologist who surgically removed them then sent me for two radiation therapy sessions - one immediately after surgery and another a few days later. These have not resurfaced 18 years later but I'm always careful not to get my skin punctured or pierced. I've undergone two Caesarean sections and each time I've had radiation therapy on the area, immediately after surgery followed by another session a few days later. For me, this is the best way to manage my keloids and I thank God that 4 years since the birth of my second child, I still don't have keloid formation around my Caesarean section scar.

Comment from: LeAnn, 55-64 Female (Caregiver) Published: June 12

My father has a keloid scar that is very painful. The scarring keeps growing over itself, developing higher on his skin. The original scar is from a surgery he had several years ago. When his clothing rubs on the scar, it's so painful that it prohibits his normal activities. I wish we knew what we could do to help him.

Comment from: Annu, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: May 28

It started like a tiny pimple on my chest and then throughout five years it has grown bigger, like a coin. It feels very itchy when I sweat. Sometimes it is painful. I haven't received any treatment for it because I'm afraid that it may spread over to other parts of my body.

Comment from: MJM, 19-24 Male (Patient) Published: May 10

I got really drunk one night and fell through a hedgerow. As a result, I now have three evenly spaced, 1 ½-inch scars on my lower abdomen, one of which is a keloid. Other than the distinctly raised skin and tightness, I have relatively no issues whatsoever. As a sidenote, this is the same night I broke my C2 in three places. I got real lucky, and am 110% today.

Comment from: Hope Nwagboso, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: May 09

It all started with just one tiny pimple on my chest. From there, it's as if the treatments even brought about more of it on my body. Right now there are over 30 of them on my back, my jaw, and even on my shoulders. These keloids make me excessively itchy, and I have observed that they grow if I scratch them.

Keloid - Effective Treatments Question: What kinds of treatments have been effective for your keloid?
Keloid - Causes Question: What caused your keloid(s)?
Keloid - Symptoms Question: Describe the signs and symptoms associated with your keloid.
Keloid - Body Piercings Question: Did you develop a keloid after a body piercing? Please share your experience.
Keloid - Body Location Question: If you had a keloid, where on your body was it located?