Patient Comments: Keloid - Experience

Please describe your experience with keloids.

Comment from: Shogurl, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: December 04

I have a large keloid on my chest next to my left breast. It resulted from a small mole removal. It grew, and I had injections that were so painful I screamed in the doctor's office each time. I could not take the pain so I went to a surgeon by referral. He cut it out and after 6 weeks it returned with a vengeance! I have tried silicone patches, vitamin E, olive oil; nothing works. It is painful and unsightly. My husband is supportive and concerned that it returns and gets larger. I can't wear low-cut clothes. I am embarrassed when I get my mammogram. I hope for new medical solutions that really work.

Comment from: Bye Bye Bucks, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: November 25

I had open heart surgery seven years ago and my scar has grown into a six by one inch keloid. First two years I tried all type of creams and oil. I had steroids injections on the third and fifth year, this helps a little by flattening. I got several infections, at least two per year, probably hair follicle. Today I went to a plastic surgeon who has scheduled me for removal of keloids with a skin graft from thigh. I am afraid to go through with this surgery and the keloids might become bigger.

Comment from: hannes, Male (Patient) Published: May 28

My keloids do not itch or hurt. They are just boring to see and are all over. I think I have about 16 and will try the tea tree oil first. I wish myself good luck, and to all the others like me.

Comment from: Ragmaker, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: March 10

I just had surgery on my foot and I am using a cream on my scar hoping that it won't form a keloid.

Comment from: scar, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: December 02

I have started with laser hair removal treatment. This left a reddish bump on the right side of my face. I have been getting steroid injections. The doctor told me its keloid.

Comment from: shy, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: August 15

It all started with a tiny pimple. After a year, it grew bigger. I already have six keloid scars, one on each shoulder and four on my chest. Sometimes they're painful and itchy. They lower my self-confidence.

Comment from: Jaypi, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: August 05

I had my first four horrifying 1-inch) keloids after piercing my ears at 18 years old. Good thing is I saw a dermatologist who surgically removed them then sent me for two radiation therapy sessions - one immediately after surgery and another a few days later. These have not resurfaced 18 years later but I'm always careful not to get my skin punctured or pierced. I've undergone two Caesarean sections and each time I've had radiation therapy on the area, immediately after surgery followed by another session a few days later. For me, this is the best way to manage my keloids and I thank God that 4 years since the birth of my second child, I still don't have keloid formation around my Caesarean section scar.

Comment from: LeAnn, 55-64 Female (Caregiver) Published: June 12

My father has a keloid scar that is very painful. The scarring keeps growing over itself, developing higher on his skin. The original scar is from a surgery he had several years ago. When his clothing rubs on the scar, it's so painful that it prohibits his normal activities. I wish we knew what we could do to help him.

Keloid - Effective Treatments Question: What kinds of treatments have been effective for your keloid?
Keloid - Causes Question: What caused your keloid(s)?
Keloid - Symptoms Question: Describe the signs and symptoms associated with your keloid.
Keloid - Body Piercings Question: Did you develop a keloid after a body piercing? Please share your experience.
Keloid - Body Location Question: If you had a keloid, where on your body was it located?