Patient Comments: Keloid - Symptoms

Describe the signs and symptoms associated with your keloid.

Comment from: Pam Kaur, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: August 24

My keloid appeared on my left arm due to injection I had when I was a baby, and then in my 30s I felt an itch and another keloid appeared on my shoulder. I then had surgery near my belly button and a keloid appeared. I have lot of itching and feel something is in my arm. I have had surgery to cut and remove it and it has made it worse. I have had injections, you name it I have had it, and nothing has worked. I can't go swimming, can't wear short sleeve dresses.

Comment from: M Mangar, 45-54 Female (Caregiver) Published: March 10

I had a small burn, and it dried up in 2 weeks. Suddenly after 2 weeks it started to raise and became a keloid. It itches a lot, sometimes swells and is very painful. It is getting bigger, about one and a half inches in length and it is right in the middle of my upper chest, and is very embarrassing.

Comment from: Carolyn, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: January 14

I have had keloids since I was 16 years old. They run in the family. My first one was on chest. I had it injected with steroids. It did not work. I now have numerous keloids on my back, breast and shoulders. Some flattened when I took oral steroids for another medical condition (60 mg/day). One thing I have learned is not to let them be exposed to the sun! If exposed, that night will be very painful and it will itch. I have also learned to keep them oiled. Wear cotton clothing when possible. When having surgery get an understanding before surgery with the doctor that (after stitches are removed) 5 days later before scars are formed, he will inject steroids into the cut. Most doctors do not know very much about keloids. Medical schools just mention them.

Comment from: Via, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: November 21

My keloid is caused by chicken pox.

Comment from: star-dust, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: August 19

I have keloids on the backs my shoulders. They're small and pink and dome-shaped. They appeared when I was in the middle of puberty and no more have shown up since. I somehow have slightly larger ones on my right shoulder than my left. They itch every so often but other than that they're mainly a cosmetic problem for me. A dermatologist told me they formed from cysts in my uterus and the healing scar tissue.

Comment from: sofia, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: September 09

I have grown a scar on my nose which is an after effect of a mole treatment with garlic paste. Actually I got my skin burnt with garlic paste, as a boil appeared there. This keloid is reddish brown in color.

Comment from: aiysha, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: April 22

I had a surgery in May of 2013 (rib area) and had a chest tube. Both have developed into keloids. The chest tube site looks kind of like two closed eyelids and the incision looks like an earth worm. Both itch a lot and are a little tender; kind of ugly but could be worse.

Comment from: Cravo, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: March 14

I recently had a skin biopsy on my left shoulder and straight away I noticed the redness once my stitches were removed, did not seem to go away like the two biopsies I had before following bowenoid keratosis. The redness is still there having had the stitches removed six months ago. I get a burning sensation and it now feels like there are bubbles under my skin which itch me constantly for some reason worse at night. I have to make sure to watch what I wear as certain fabrics make it worse, it"s driving me insane. I am 30 years of age with medium skin tone.

Keloid - Effective Treatments Question: What kinds of treatments have been effective for your keloid?
Keloid - Causes Question: What caused your keloid(s)?
Keloid - Body Piercings Question: Did you develop a keloid after a body piercing? Please share your experience.
Keloid - Experience Question: Please describe your experience with keloids.
Keloid - Body Location Question: If you had a keloid, where on your body was it located?