Patient Comments: Keloid - Effective Treatments

What kinds of treatments have been effective for your keloid?

Comment from: who?, 19-24 Male (Patient) Published: June 30

I've been getting cortisone injections for my keloid and I've had very positive results. And to be honest, the shots never really hurt, at least to me. I've had horrible acne that left me with raised scar tissue which some consider a keloid. Anyway, I just wanted to add my experience. So many people post negative experiences, I guess it depends on you. All I can say is I'm happy with the treatment.

Comment from: kim, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: May 27

I had four keloids on my earlobes. I tried using triamcinolone ointment but instead they grew bigger. I then tied three of them and they fell off after five days. The fourth one keeps reducing and later on increases, I am yet to tie it.

Comment from: Midsummer, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: April 07

I have had keloids since my teens. My first one was on the shoulder and then they just keep popping up. I now have several on my chest and on my shoulders/upper back. Steroid injections helped reduce them in size and itchiness. One of the bigger ones is now flat but you can still see that a keloid had been there. Because the injections are so expensive, I had to stop them. I do however apply clobetasol propionate ointment on them once a day and it helps keep the keloids from growing. It even reduces them in size to some extent and helps with the itchiness. Hope this helps.

Comment from: Sandra, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: November 18

I had several piercings on both ears since the age of 10 up to 14 years old. It is only when I got 16 years old that my first keloid started to grow. It was on the right upper earlobe. I had my first surgery at 17, it was very painful and it grew back again in less than 2 years. Keloids started to grow all over both ears on each piercing, it was very painful. I had injection on both ears every week which were so painful that I had to stop. I haven't gone through surgery again as it is too painful. I am 23 and they are still here.

Comment from: Yaw, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: August 21

The best prevention of keloid formation from a wound is to use hot water (about 60-70 degree Celsius, water from central water heating system is okay) on the wound, after about a day of the wound formation. You may use a clean cotton cloth to concentrate the heat or flush the water directly on the wound. One may do it in every three days interval for about five times. The water should be used to the point when you don't feel the hotness of the water again on the wound. After keloid formation, one can use Movate cream on the keloid to prevent the keloid from growing. The cream may be applied at most twice in a day on the keloid. The facts are from personal experience with keloids prevention and management, for I have some keloids on me.

Comment from: chiky1959, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: May 22

I have had keloids since I was 19 and I am now 56. There are lots of keloids all over my back and breasts and two very large ones between the breast bone and they have now joined. I tried cortisone but to no avail. I have been resigned to the fact that they will always be there. And as far as dressing and cleavage I am now at the age that 'oh well' is a part of me. I used to wear camisoles under everything to hide them but that tended to make them itch. That is the worst, if I could find a good anti-itch cream would be heaven as the itching also keeps me awake.

Comment from: Musicianwoman, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: May 05

I've have huge keloids. They've been cut off 8 times but only grew back larger. I've had the injections, also the x-ray treatment. Nothing works. I am looking for a pain medication that will help me feel some relief from the keloid pain, itching and burning.

Keloid - Causes Question: What caused your keloid(s)?
Keloid - Symptoms Question: Describe the signs and symptoms associated with your keloid.
Keloid - Body Piercings Question: Did you develop a keloid after a body piercing? Please share your experience.
Keloid - Experience Question: Please describe your experience with keloids.
Keloid - Body Location Question: If you had a keloid, where on your body was it located?