Patient Comments: Keloid - Effective Treatments

What kinds of treatments have been effective for your keloid?

Comment from: Daniela, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: July 27

What worked for me was cortisone injections. I was a little bit nervous because the keloids were under both breasts. I didn't feel anything and I'm glad I did the cortisone.

Comment from: Hppsinc, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: March 01

Following hip replacement surgery and the use of surgical staples I developed a large keloid which enlarged the scar site, itched, burned, caused pain and was significantly inflamed. The scar was treated with laser and Kenalog injections, two treatments of each. It calmed the scar down but still took several years to flatten and during that time the symptoms could still be felt. The resulting scar is not cosmetically optimum.

Comment from: who?, 19-24 Male (Patient) Published: June 30

I've been getting cortisone injections for my keloid and I've had very positive results. And to be honest, the shots never really hurt, at least to me. I've had horrible acne that left me with raised scar tissue which some consider a keloid. Anyway, I just wanted to add my experience. So many people post negative experiences, I guess it depends on you. All I can say is I'm happy with the treatment.

Comment from: kim, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: May 27

I had four keloids on my earlobes. I tried using triamcinolone ointment but instead they grew bigger. I then tied three of them and they fell off after five days. The fourth one keeps reducing and later on increases, I am yet to tie it.

Comment from: Midsummer, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: April 07

I have had keloids since my teens. My first one was on the shoulder and then they just keep popping up. I now have several on my chest and on my shoulders/upper back. Steroid injections helped reduce them in size and itchiness. One of the bigger ones is now flat but you can still see that a keloid had been there. Because the injections are so expensive, I had to stop them. I do however apply clobetasol propionate ointment on them once a day and it helps keep the keloids from growing. It even reduces them in size to some extent and helps with the itchiness. Hope this helps.

Comment from: dee, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: July 06

Today is the 4th of July 2017. On last Wednesday, June 28th, I had my keloid removed by a plastic surgeon. My post operation instructions were not to change the bandages until I see her for my appointment on July 7th, 2017. Well, the bandages are now old, bloody, hard, and it smells so bad. I started smelling the dried up bloody bandage on Sunday July 2nd, 2017, so on Monday I called the plastic surgeon's office just to be sure this is what I was supposed to be doing. I never got a call back from the doctor herself, only the staff who reassured me that this was the process; to not change the bandages even though it is dried up bloody bandages that smell on me. The office is once again closed today and the smell is so bad it is making me sick. I don't know if I should go to the emergency room or wait until the office opens tomorrow.

Comment from: Christian, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: December 01

I have had keloids since my teenage. I am now 33. I have keloids in my face, both cheeks. I feel terrible because nobody likes me, they think I am a monster. I have tried injections but it hasn't been useful.

Comment from: Sandra, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: November 18

I had several piercings on both ears since the age of 10 up to 14 years old. It is only when I got 16 years old that my first keloid started to grow. It was on the right upper earlobe. I had my first surgery at 17, it was very painful and it grew back again in less than 2 years. Keloids started to grow all over both ears on each piercing, it was very painful. I had injection on both ears every week which were so painful that I had to stop. I haven't gone through surgery again as it is too painful. I am 23 and they are still here.

Keloid - Causes Question: What caused your keloid(s)?
Keloid - Symptoms Question: Describe the signs and symptoms associated with your keloid.
Keloid - Body Piercings Question: Did you develop a keloid after a body piercing? Please share your experience.
Keloid - Experience Question: Please describe your experience with keloids.
Keloid - Body Location Question: If you had a keloid, where on your body was it located?