Patient Comments: Keloid - Effective Treatments

What kinds of treatments have been effective for your keloid?

Comment from: ANJ75, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 11

I came by this site to show my husband what a keloid is and I am saddened by all of the stories I"ve read. I am no way an expert but I have two children that got keloids. My son got one from a chickenpox and my eldest daughter from a nose piercing. I was told by my grandmother to go get 100% tea tree oil and put it on twice a day. I did and both children"s keloids were gone in a few days. That was 15 years ago and many tattoos and piercings ago and they have yet to return. You can get tea tree oil (100%) at Sally"s. I hope it helps someone. Just put it on and it dries them up, smells really bad, but works. Good luck to all.

Comment from: Jay, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: March 04

I first had a keloid develop on my chest, I think it was from an irritated hair follicle. Then grew two others. I started getting steroid injections. However due to the pain, I had to stop. I received 30 shots in each session 10 in each keloid. They have shrunk, but as luck would have it, as a result of the treatment I started developing keloids on my back, sort of in strategic locations, shoulder and lower back, where it is more muscle tissue. I no longer itch like crazy and they have shrunk quite a bit. I am wishing them away.

Comment from: AshRae07, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: December 05

How I developed my keloid is still a mystery. It is located on my left hand underneath my thumb on the palm of my hand. I have been getting steroid injections for over a year now spaced at about 3 months apart. It is very painful but for me, but it has really made a difference. My keloid is probably a third, if not less, the size that it was when I began the injections. I am so thrilled that it is starting to dissipate. It is more than worth the pain to get rid of this thing and my doctor is just wonderful.

Comment from: bella14.bz, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: November 01

I have a keloid on my upper back from a mole removal. I have used vitamin E oil and a silicone patch (worn nightly for several weeks, kit purchased at Walmart) to shrink the keloid. The "lump" is still there, but is definitely much smaller than it used to be.

Comment from: Sharon, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 15

I developed a keloid through an injection when I was a child. It wasn't very big, located at the top of my arm. I started using Kelo-Cote silicone gel last year to try and reduce its appearance. It worked great. I still have it, but it's not as noticeable.

Comment from: RR Singh, 75 or over Male (Patient) Published: December 27

I am 75 years old and gone through bye pass surgery in 1996. I got keloids on my chest and they are growing day by day and it causes itching and burns to me. It seems that there is something inside my skin and it is biting by skin day by day. Under my chest there was a small scar of two stiches and now it has grown more than 12 inches and spreading. I consulted many doctor, gone through injections and steroids but all in vain.

Comment from: the Maverick, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: August 25

I got my ears pierced when I was 11 years old, back in 1986. About six months later, I developed a keloid on both ears. I had them removed five times through various techniques. Ten years ago, I had them successfully removed with a flap method, two days of radiation treatments, and a total of six series of steroid injections that were really painful. Although, my right earlobe is very small because of all the surgeries, it looks remarkable compared to how it was. I wear clip-on earrings now, which have come a long way compared to years ago. There is help and treatment out there, you just have to be persistent.

Comment from: Tiffany4816, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: August 04

In 4th grade I got chicken pox from a girl at school and one of the pox in my chest I could not resist to scratch. The end result was a quarter sized keloid in the middle of my chest right above my breast. After months of injections it was flattened but due to scarring you can tell is there. I had my ears pierce when I was in 7th grade. My mom waited so long because my older sister had keloids on both of her ears due to ear piercing. While I was getting treatment for the one in my chest, I began to develop a keloid on my left ear about the size of a peanut. It did not grow at much. The injections to the keloid in my chest were so painful. I refused injections to the keloid on my left ear. I have not worn earrings for over 10years. Of course the hole on my right ear has closed. It is long over due but I want to wear earrings again, but I have been afraid it will grow back bigger as it did with my sister and a lot of others.

Keloid - Causes Question: What caused your keloid(s)?
Keloid - Symptoms Question: Describe the signs and symptoms associated with your keloid.
Keloid - Body Piercings Question: Did you develop a keloid after a body piercing? Please share your experience.
Keloid - Experience Question: Please describe your experience with keloids.
Keloid - Body Location Question: If you had a keloid, where on your body was it located?