Patient Comments: Keloid - Effective Treatments

What kinds of treatments have been effective for your keloid?

Published: July 09

I have a round hard bump on my inner left leg, about three inches below the knee. Believe it might be a Keloid; and may have started as a zit, which I pinched. It does itch occasionally, especially in very dry atmospheres. A few years ago, a doctor looked at it, and simply sliced off the bump. Within a few months, the bump grew back. It appears to be same size as before.

Published: June 24

I have 6 small keloid scars on my shoulders, and so far I've had no success. I've had laser treatment and cortisone injections. The injections worked for a few weeks, but the keloids came back. I suppose I would get the injections again, but more for special occasions to avoid having the scars for a little while.

Published: June 19

To the one that said they tied a string around it, that don't sound like a keloid. The only thing that worked for me was the injections and that only worked on some.

Published: June 17

I sustained a keloid to my left shoulder after a motorcycle wreck. I was told by one dermatologist to use some scar removal and another doctor injected me with cortisone shots twice. I actually saw a change with the shots, and I never went back for more, but I think I will in the future.

Published: June 13

The only thing that works for me are steroid injections. I had them surgically removed but came back even larger.

Published: June 13

I had a keloid about the size of a peanut at my back when I was 13 years old. It disappeared due to the pressure from the bra's strip. I also had one on my lower abdomen and one day I tied it, at its base area, with a sewing thread firmly. It also disappeared after sometimes. I was fortunate because the one at my back was along the bra's strip position and the one on my abdomen, because of it's shape, I was able to tie the thread around it.

Published: August 21

I have keloids on both sides of my neck just along my jawline. I have only tried injections and I find they do not work at all only causing pain. And as other people commented anyone I've seen about them told me if I tried to remove them they could come back larger. Not a chance I am willing to take because of the cost ($1,500 per scar) Anyone recommend any thing else like the cryotherapy or laser?

Comment from: ladyredd, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: August 12

I have three keloids. One from chicken pox and two from having my ears pierced. I have been getting the injections in my ear. The one on the left side has gone down a lot, but the one on the right is still kind of big and it has developed a cyst. I want to get them removed but I'm scared it will come back bigger.

Comment from: toomurch, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: August 04

I had a keloid form after an accident in the garden which resulted in a large cut above my nose. Initial injection of cortisone by my Dermatologist resulted in some improvement. Then it appeared the scar was starting to "shine" again so I went back for 2 more injections spaced about 9 weeks apart. Now you can barely see the scar and it has been about a year since I had my last injection.

Published: July 22

I have a two-inch keloid on both sides of my chest. It's from a tattoo. The tattoo was done back in 1994. I had shots injected into the keloids, and it hurt so bad that I had to stop the treatments.

Keloid - Causes Question: What caused your keloid(s)?
Keloid - Symptoms Question: Describe the signs and symptoms associated with your keloid.
Keloid - Body Piercings Question: Did you develop a keloid after a body piercing? Please share your experience.
Keloid - Experience Question: Please describe your experience with keloids.
Keloid - Body Location Question: If you had a keloid, where on your body was it located?