Patient Comments: Keloid - Effective Treatments

What kinds of treatments have been effective for your keloid?

Published: July 16

I have several keloids on my body: one on my chest, formed from a pimple I did not squeeze; three on my left arm, from a BCG vaccine I took several years ago. Of these 3, one has disappeared completely from treatment, one has stopped growing, and one has grown to about 5cm. I also have one on my right thigh, from a small bruise I sustained on the beach. I had the steroid treatment beginning in 2003, with some results, as observed above. The large keloid on my left arm, as well as the ones on my chest and thigh, have started to grow again. I am planning to have some more treatment. My doctor had cautioned me that if I were to have them surgically removed they are likely to grow back bigger. The thing with the steroid treatment is that it has some unwanted effects on the body and my doctor recommended maximum 5 shots, between well-spaced intervals.

Published: July 02

I have a couple keloids, 1 small one on my left shoulder, another good sized one on my right arm, another new one on the inside of my right ankle from a recent surgery, and my most hated is the large one on my left earlobe. It is very large and unsightly and attracts a lot of attention. The small one on my shoulder stopped growing on its own. I have never had treatment for this one. The one on my right arm I had the steroid injections and it stopped growing. I have not tried anything yet for the one on my ankle because I'm kind of waiting to see what it's going to do. The large one on my earlobe is the one that I have done everything possible for. I had an ear piercing when I was in 5th grade and it took a few years to become visible. I have had it surgically removed about 7 or 8 different times along with the steroid injections and also the radiation treatment. None of which have worked. It continues to grow and I am frustrated as to what I should do next.... any suggestions?

Comment from: chiky1959, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: May 22

I have had keloids since I was 19 and I am now 56. There are lots of keloids all over my back and breasts and two very large ones between the breast bone and they have now joined. I tried cortisone but to no avail. I have been resigned to the fact that they will always be there. And as far as dressing and cleavage I am now at the age that 'oh well' is a part of me. I used to wear camisoles under everything to hide them but that tended to make them itch. That is the worst, if I could find a good anti-itch cream would be heaven as the itching also keeps me awake.

Comment from: Eileen, 0-2 Female (Caregiver) Published: February 06

My grandson developed a keloid on his penis after his circumcision. The doctor actually cut the shaft and he came home with Steri-Strips! I can't imagine giving him shots there! I wonder if it would be safe to try tree tea oil.

Comment from: RR Singh, 75 or over Male (Patient) Published: December 27

I am 75 years old and gone through bye pass surgery in 1996. I got keloids on my chest and they are growing day by day and it causes itching and burns to me. It seems that there is something inside my skin and it is biting by skin day by day. Under my chest there was a small scar of two stiches and now it has grown more than 12 inches and spreading. I consulted many doctor, gone through injections and steroids but all in vain.

Comment from: Jean, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 15

I have 2 keloids, one on my neck and one on my chest. I have had about 12 injections and my keloids seem like they get wider every time I get an injection. I don't know what to do anymore. The one on my neck is painful and I can't sleep at night.

Comment from: kazmi, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: August 30

I have keloids under right ear through chin. Cryotherapy for several times but can't stop and emerge after a month. I can't even shave. Not a permanent solution. Feeling sad and tense.

Comment from: JoeyJ, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: May 20

I have had several keloids on my back, shoulders, and chest. I have had a number of them treated with surgery, others with Kenalog injections and others by freezing. Over time, all of them have returned and most are larger than before. Recently, I went through the CryoShape procedure and am thrilled to report that none of the keloids treated have returned. It is a wonderful procedure, creating little pain and great results. The worst treatment I ever had was when the doctor used Q tips that he put into liquid nitrogen followed by cortisone shots. What a waste of time and money.

Keloid - Causes Question: What caused your keloid(s)?
Keloid - Symptoms Question: Describe the signs and symptoms associated with your keloid.
Keloid - Body Piercings Question: Did you develop a keloid after a body piercing? Please share your experience.
Keloid - Experience Question: Please describe your experience with keloids.
Keloid - Body Location Question: If you had a keloid, where on your body was it located?