Patient Comments: Keloid - Effective Treatments

What kinds of treatments have been effective for your keloid?

Comment from: Tal, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: September 02

I had three keloids, two on the ears from piercing and one on my chest from chicken pox. I had the ear ones surgically removed, but the one on the left came back. After a few years, I tied a rope around it (you can if it is not flat), and it was painful, but I persevered and it finally dropped off after about two weeks. I had to dab it with surgical spirit daily to avoid an infection, but it was worth it. For the chest one, I used a wart remover, which made it flatter. It was painful, so I waited a couple of weeks to treat it again. This time, it grew instead. I wish I had left it alone after the first time. I have sliced it, poured a drop of boiling oil on it, and still it's still here. The injections are so expensive. Here in London, you have to pay a consultation fee of around £150 before you even start the treatment. So I think I will keep trying to get rid of it myself, with caution of course.

Comment from: CJ, 13-18 Male (Patient) Published: September 02

I'm 17 this year, and I had this keloid at the back of my shoulder from chicken pox when I was 6. At the age of 11, I went for an operation to remove it, but the surgeon did not warn me about cutting twice the size of the original scar. To add on, it was not guaranteed that the scar will not come back. The sad thing is that my scar came back, twice the size.

Comment from: Pops, 13-18 Male (Patient) Published: September 02

Cortisone injections right into the keloid made it completely disappear over a period of time. It's amazing just how well this worked for me.

Comment from: 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: August 25

I had a keloid most likely from a BCG vaccine on my left shoulder. Recently, I went to a surgeon to get it removed, and so far, it has not grown back. The scar seems to heal very well and it is flat. I have been warned that after the surgery the keloid might grow back with vengeance. Steroid shots did not work for me; they shrunk the keloid for a couple of days, and then it went back to normal. That was the only keloid I had, so I think that is why the surgery was successful.

Comment from: Elogee, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: August 25

Keloid formation runs in my family with every member nursing one on some part of their body. I have had keloids since I was a kid. The ones on “bony” areas have reduced over time. The most troublesome one is on my breast and has required special attention. At one time, I used steroid injections, but it came back with a vengeance. Shea butter has worked for my brother, but not for me.

Comment from: jj, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: August 21

I have a massive keloid on my chest, one on my left shoulder and another on my back. The keloid on my chest has defied all forms of treatment (injections, surgery, silicone...you name it). It measures 12cm x 9cm and is still growing (started as 2 acnes). I also have to deal with recurring abscesses on this same keloid and it is such an irritating feeling. I'd be the happiest person on planet earth to know of some definitive cure for keloid scars.

Comment from: mcurl2873, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: August 21

I recently had a piercing on the upper part of my ear, they call it an "industrial" piercing. I have had 9 other piecing on my body and never with a problem. With this one, I have had for about 2 months now, and it is still not completely healed, but I can take it out to clean the bar and my ear. I noticed on the curved part closest to the head, on the lip (underneath) what looks like a bump. It is white, like a pimple, but there is no fluid or anything inside it. I am not sure if it is because it rubs/rests on the bar and this is why, or if I have a keloid forming. I will go to a doctor, but I am hesitant at judgement because of my piercings.

Published: July 14

I have 3 scars total on my chest area. the top one is about 3cm long, and the one underneath it is about 1.8cm long, then there is one to the left (my left) is like a small dot. I've had injections on the biggest one and it worked for awhile then it grew back again. I really need help to make it disappear. Please tell me what to do. I've tried silicone tape and injections.

Keloid - Causes Question: What caused your keloid(s)?
Keloid - Symptoms Question: Describe the signs and symptoms associated with your keloid.
Keloid - Body Piercings Question: Did you develop a keloid after a body piercing? Please share your experience.
Keloid - Experience Question: Please describe your experience with keloids.
Keloid - Body Location Question: If you had a keloid, where on your body was it located?