Patient Comments: Keloid - Effective Treatments

What kinds of treatments have been effective for your keloid?

Comment from: Karamel, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: December 03

I have about 10 keloids on my back and 2 on my stomach. The keloids on my back came from pimples and on my stomach from C-section. I've had injections in at least 5 of them on my back and because they grew back double size, I'm afraid to get the others injected. They itch very badly and sometimes they are painful. At this point, I don't know what to do.

Comment from: dame, 19-24 Male (Patient) Published: November 12

I have had surgery on my ears three times, and the last time I had radiation done and the keloids still seem to growing back slowly. My doctor is about to start steroid injection, hope that will help it stop.

Comment from: snarkie, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 21

I have a night time mineral solution. When I get an abrasion that I think might turn into a keloid, I apply the solution and it turns dry and eventually goes away leaving maybe a little red spot, but I have freckles and they don't show. I have not had any luck with the ones that are old and have actually puffed up. Mine are on my arms and legs. I had one on the side of my face and I used the solution on that and it is gone.

Comment from: Sharon, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 15

I developed a keloid through an injection when I was a child. It wasn't very big, located at the top of my arm. I started using Kelo-Cote silicone gel last year to try and reduce its appearance. It worked great. I still have it, but it's not as noticeable.

Comment from: the Maverick, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: August 25

I got my ears pierced when I was 11 years old, back in 1986. About six months later, I developed a keloid on both ears. I had them removed five times through various techniques. Ten years ago, I had them successfully removed with a flap method, two days of radiation treatments, and a total of six series of steroid injections that were really painful. Although, my right earlobe is very small because of all the surgeries, it looks remarkable compared to how it was. I wear clip-on earrings now, which have come a long way compared to years ago. There is help and treatment out there, you just have to be persistent.

Comment from: Tiffany4816, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: August 04

In 4th grade I got chicken pox from a girl at school and one of the pox in my chest I could not resist to scratch. The end result was a quarter sized keloid in the middle of my chest right above my breast. After months of injections it was flattened but due to scarring you can tell is there. I had my ears pierce when I was in 7th grade. My mom waited so long because my older sister had keloids on both of her ears due to ear piercing. While I was getting treatment for the one in my chest, I began to develop a keloid on my left ear about the size of a peanut. It did not grow at much. The injections to the keloid in my chest were so painful. I refused injections to the keloid on my left ear. I have not worn earrings for over 10years. Of course the hole on my right ear has closed. It is long over due but I want to wear earrings again, but I have been afraid it will grow back bigger as it did with my sister and a lot of others.

Published: July 16

I have several keloids on my body: one on my chest, formed from a pimple I did not squeeze; three on my left arm, from a BCG vaccine I took several years ago. Of these 3, one has disappeared completely from treatment, one has stopped growing, and one has grown to about 5cm. I also have one on my right thigh, from a small bruise I sustained on the beach. I had the steroid treatment beginning in 2003, with some results, as observed above. The large keloid on my left arm, as well as the ones on my chest and thigh, have started to grow again. I am planning to have some more treatment. My doctor had cautioned me that if I were to have them surgically removed they are likely to grow back bigger. The thing with the steroid treatment is that it has some unwanted effects on the body and my doctor recommended maximum 5 shots, between well-spaced intervals.

Keloid - Causes Question: What caused your keloid(s)?
Keloid - Symptoms Question: Describe the signs and symptoms associated with your keloid.
Keloid - Body Piercings Question: Did you develop a keloid after a body piercing? Please share your experience.
Keloid - Experience Question: Please describe your experience with keloids.
Keloid - Body Location Question: If you had a keloid, where on your body was it located?