Patient Comments: Keloid - Effective Treatments

What kinds of treatments have been effective for your keloid?

Comment from: Nicklas, Male (Patient) Published: July 31

When you have a form of piercing of skin, including pimples, before the keloid starts apply a mixture of ginger root, turmeric and cortisone cream. You will not get a keloid. The two prevent inflammation which results in a keloid. Cortisone prevents itching. But you have to start in the very beginning before it develops.

Comment from: keyloid sufferer, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: June 23

I have had a raised keloid for years, on my right shoulder, it keeps growing. I finally got injections, it shrunk to an indentation in my skin, and then a few months later started growing back. A year later it was almost as big as it had been after growing for approximately 7 years. I got injections again, it grew back again and faster this time. The injections are very painful, and I don't want to go through it again. There are not many natural cures for keloids that actually helped; I tried a few, a lot of websites have treatment for scars listed under keloids, which definitely are not the same. Anyway I finally tried looking under natural remedies for tumors because keloids seem a lot like tumors to me. I found garlic and clove oil, haven't been applying long enough to know if they shrink, but they sure seem to be helping get my keloid softer and cloves help take away the burning and itching that is caused by the keloid. I put them directly on the keloid and press down hard on the keloid. I am taking them internally too. So if your keloid burns and itches try them, especially clove oil.

Comment from: ANJ75, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 11

I came by this site to show my husband what a keloid is and I am saddened by all of the stories I"ve read. I am no way an expert but I have two children that got keloids. My son got one from a chickenpox and my eldest daughter from a nose piercing. I was told by my grandmother to go get 100% tea tree oil and put it on twice a day. I did and both children"s keloids were gone in a few days. That was 15 years ago and many tattoos and piercings ago and they have yet to return. You can get tea tree oil (100%) at Sally"s. I hope it helps someone. Just put it on and it dries them up, smells really bad, but works. Good luck to all.

Comment from: Jay, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: March 04

I first had a keloid develop on my chest, I think it was from an irritated hair follicle. Then grew two others. I started getting steroid injections. However due to the pain, I had to stop. I received 30 shots in each session 10 in each keloid. They have shrunk, but as luck would have it, as a result of the treatment I started developing keloids on my back, sort of in strategic locations, shoulder and lower back, where it is more muscle tissue. I no longer itch like crazy and they have shrunk quite a bit. I am wishing them away.

Comment from: AshRae07, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: December 05

How I developed my keloid is still a mystery. It is located on my left hand underneath my thumb on the palm of my hand. I have been getting steroid injections for over a year now spaced at about 3 months apart. It is very painful but for me, but it has really made a difference. My keloid is probably a third, if not less, the size that it was when I began the injections. I am so thrilled that it is starting to dissipate. It is more than worth the pain to get rid of this thing and my doctor is just wonderful.

Comment from:, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: November 01

I have a keloid on my upper back from a mole removal. I have used vitamin E oil and a silicone patch (worn nightly for several weeks, kit purchased at Walmart) to shrink the keloid. The "lump" is still there, but is definitely much smaller than it used to be.

Comment from: Donna, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 14

I have had keloids since I was a little girl. I have one of my 7 on my chest. I have had them removed, I've had injection, and the injection hurt so bad I can't stand the pain. Now I've had a pacemaker put in and now I have a keloid there. I cry because the pain is too much for me. I am just trying to find out what I can do next.

Keloid - Causes Question: What caused your keloid(s)?
Keloid - Symptoms Question: Describe the signs and symptoms associated with your keloid.
Keloid - Body Piercings Question: Did you develop a keloid after a body piercing? Please share your experience.
Keloid - Experience Question: Please describe your experience with keloids.
Keloid - Body Location Question: If you had a keloid, where on your body was it located?