Patient Comments: Kawasaki Disease - Symptoms

What symptoms did you experience with Kawasaki's disease?

Comment from: Shellber, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: July 18

I had Kawasaki disease as a child. I had a high fever, rash, swollen red hands and feet. I was treated and was fine. No one told me or my family to have an echocardiogram yearly. I am 34 now and have premature ventricular contractions and other symptoms similar to lupus. I had blood drawn today to check for lupus. I never thought to mention to any doctor that I had Kawasaki disease as a child.

Comment from: jscruggszoo, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: July 18

I was diagnosed in 1966 at age 1 1/2 with Stevens-Johnson Syndrome, but I now feel it was actually Kawasaki Disease. I had the persistent very high fever, peeling of genitals, hands, and feet, and had a 'heart murmur' a year later, at age 3. Mitral valve prolapsed was discovered just a few months ago (I'm now 46). The reason I am writing is to alert anyone diagnosed w/Stevens-Johnson before the mid-seventies that they might actually have Kawasaki Syndrome. SJS always made me worry that there was some drug to which I might be allergic. Now I know that I need to get regular EKGs, as does anyone else w/Kawasaki Disease.

Comment from: ugnayan, 7-12 Male (Caregiver) Published: July 19

My son, who is now 13, had Kawasaki disease at around 7 years old. He was hospitalized for 15 days and had IV therapy, aspirin dosing, EKGs, and regular platelet drawings for 6 to 8 weeks as follow-up. He was released with an EKGs follow-up for 2 years and with a normal prognosis. He has always been very healthy, He studies and lives a normal lifestyle.

Comment from: lamadre, 7-12 Female (Caregiver) Published: June 15

My daughter started with rash and peeling of the skin on her hands & feet. She then had muscle weakness, pain in her neck, and finally aseptic meningitis. She was treated with immunoglobin and aspirin and survived, but was near death for a few days.

Kawasaki Disease - Treatments Question: What treatment has been effective for your Kawasaki's disease?
Kawasaki Disease - Describe Your Experience Question: Did you or your child have Kawasaki's disease? Please share your experience.