Patient Comments: Kawasaki Disease - Symptoms

What symptoms did you experience with Kawasaki's disease?

Comment from: lollie grand, Female (Caregiver) Published: May 01

My daughter, who is now 26, had Kawasaki disease at around 18 months old. She was hospitalized for 10 days and had IV therapy, aspirin dosing, EKGs, and regular platelet drawings for 6 to 8 weeks as follow-up. She was released with no further follow-up and with a normal prognosis. She has always been very healthy, exercises, is a marathon runner, has a healthy diet, etc. She works full-time and lives a normal lifestyle for one her age. She has had a few symptoms off and on that can be described as arthritic pain. I told her it could be a consequence of the Kawasaki, since there does not seem to be any other explanation. Has anyone ever heard of this happening as an adult from childhood Kawasaki illness?

Comment from: jscruggszoo, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: July 18

I was diagnosed in 1966 at age 1 1/2 with Stevens-Johnson Syndrome, but I now feel it was actually Kawasaki Disease. I had the persistent very high fever, peeling of genitals, hands, and feet, and had a 'heart murmur' a year later, at age 3. Mitral valve prolapsed was discovered just a few months ago (I'm now 46). The reason I am writing is to alert anyone diagnosed w/Stevens-Johnson before the mid-seventies that they might actually have Kawasaki Syndrome. SJS always made me worry that there was some drug to which I might be allergic. Now I know that I need to get regular EKGs, as does anyone else w/Kawasaki Disease.

Comment from: ugnayan, 7-12 Male (Caregiver) Published: July 19

My son, who is now 13, had Kawasaki disease at around 7 years old. He was hospitalized for 15 days and had IV therapy, aspirin dosing, EKGs, and regular platelet drawings for 6 to 8 weeks as follow-up. He was released with an EKGs follow-up for 2 years and with a normal prognosis. He has always been very healthy, He studies and lives a normal lifestyle.

Comment from: lamadre, 7-12 Female (Caregiver) Published: June 15

My daughter started with rash and peeling of the skin on her hands & feet. She then had muscle weakness, pain in her neck, and finally aseptic meningitis. She was treated with immunoglobin and aspirin and survived, but was near death for a few days.

Kawasaki Disease - Treatments Question: What treatment has been effective for your Kawasaki's disease?
Kawasaki Disease - Describe Your Experience Question: Did you or your child have Kawasaki's disease? Please share your experience.