Patient Comments: Kawasaki Disease - Describe Your Experience

Did you or your child have Kawasaki's disease? Please share your experience.

Comment from: anonymously, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 13

I got Kawasaki disease, at age of 23. I had red eyes that burned, my mouth was so red I couldn't eat or barely drink anything it hurt so badly. My hands and feet were bright red like a severe burn I had to crawl, which wasn't much easier. I couldn't turn the knob to turn on the water in the bath tub, I needed someone to turn it on/off and get it to the right temperature. After about 12 days my skin started peeling off my feet, hands and my mouth started to heal. I don't wish that on a toddler. I had no heart problems after it, I was grateful for that.

Comment from: bart2, 7-12 Male (Caregiver) Published: August 13

My son is now 40. He had the disease when he was 10 years old, and no doctors knew what it was. He was put in an empty ward all by himself because no one knew if he was contagious. It was very scary for him and us as his parents. All we were told at that time was he could have a heart attack. The only long-term effects he has (so far) are if he holds hands with anyone they will get clammy and his hands are still somewhat tender. Hopefully, that will be the only long-term effects.

Kawasaki Disease - Symptoms Question: What symptoms did you experience with Kawasaki's disease?
Kawasaki Disease - Treatments Question: What treatment has been effective for your Kawasaki's disease?