- Take the Pain Quiz
- Surprising Reasons You're in Pain Slideshow
- Chronic Pain Slideshow
- Find a local Orthopedic Surgeon in your town
- What happens in joint replacement surgery?
- What are symptoms and signs of arthritis of the hand and wrist?
- How are patients with hand joint abnormalities evaluated?
- What are the different surgical options?
- When is surgical cleaning of the joint the best alternative?
- What is a joint fusion? When is it the best surgical option?
- When is joint replacement surgery the best surgical option?
- How do the surgical options vary with the different joints of the hands and wrists?
- Joint Replacement Surgery of the Hand At A Glance
Joint Replacement Surgery of the Hand At A Glance
- Joint replacement surgery involves replacing a destroyed joint with an artificial joint.
- This procedure is typically employed in treating severe arthritis involving certain joints.
- Surgical options for treatment of arthritis of the hand include cleaning of the abnormal cartilage and bone, fusion, and replacement surgery.
Medically reviewed by Aimee V. HachigianGould, MD; American Board of Orthopaedic Surgery
"Total joint replacement for severe rheumatoid arthritis"