Patient Comments: Jock Itch - Treatments

What treatments have been successful in treating your jock itch?

Comment from: zootgeist, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: November 25

The cure for jock itch? Three words: tea tree oil. It reeks awfully but it worked almost overnight. I applied it twice a day for two days just to be sure it was gone, but I actually think two applications did it in. It is strong, so the first time I applied it I mixed 1 tsp tea tree oil with 4 tsp of coconut (or any other) oil. It worked just fine in that diluted form, but on the second day I used straight tea tree oil. People near me could smell me for a while, but I smiled and explained and figured it was worth it. I had been using Tinactin to little avail for several days before I tried the oil. And believe it or not, tea tree oil is available at Walmart.

Comment from: ls, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: November 25

Washing the area daily with Selsun Blue dandruff shampoo helped in treating my jock itch.

Comment from: Word, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: October 08

The simple solution worked for me for jock itch. I change underwear several times per day. In my case, I believe perspiration and/or a few drops of leaked urine caused the problem. It was worse at night. I found this solution after trying all the over the counter products (which did not work).

Comment from: Engineering student, 19-24 Male (Patient) Published: August 28

I tried many creams and ointments for jock itch and when it got severe I consulted a dermatologist and skin specialist. He gave me sertaconazole nitrate cream and finally after applying it for two months twice a day I won the war against it.

Comment from: Vola, 25-34 (Patient) Published: July 30

I had jock itch for a couple weeks and it didn't matter what cream or ointment I used. The itch was just unbearable. So I tried baking soda. Just baking soda to wherever the itch was, and I left baking soda on me overnight. The itch stopped spreading. I used baking soda and hand soap without cleaning with water until the point that my skin started to peel off. I used various anti-fungal cream in between baking soda treatments too, and that's how I got rid of jock itch in one week. It took another 2 weeks for my skin to recover, but it worked in the end.

Comment from: Cured, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: July 07

For four months I suffered like many of you here. Everything 'down there' itched and I saw my general physician and two different dermatologists, with no remedy. I tried all the creams and diets, etc. In an effort to make sure my wife and mother-in-law (who lives with us) didn't catch something from me, I decided to wash my clothes separately. It was only then that I realized that my wife was filling our washing machine with a full cap of both detergent and fabric softener (instead of 1/4 inch off the bottom of the cap), which was 5-8 times more than necessary. When I looked at the directions on the bottles it was clear to me that I was sitting in soap all day (that didn't rinse out) and the detergent and fabric softener were causing the problem. I threw out all my underwear and bath towels and got some All hypoallergenic detergent. Don't fool with trying to rinse it out. Buy new underwear and bath towels. I was fine in a week. My symptoms were so similar to many of you here that I hope that you'll check into this and get some relief.

Comment from: vin, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: January 23

Brown Listerine burns but keeps the jock itch under control.

Comment from: ashmead, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: January 22

The best cure for jock itch is to use Lyderm, It really works! I do not know if it is available in USA, but I got it from Canada. Can't say if it is a prescription drug either. Hope it helps you!

Jock Itch - Experience Question: Please describe your experience with jock itch.
Jock Itch - Symptoms Question: What were your jock itch symptoms and signs?
Jock Itch - Causes Question: What caused your jock itch?