Patient Comments: Jock Itch - Treatments

What treatments have been successful in treating your jock itch?

Comment from: ls, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: November 25

Washing the area daily with Selsun Blue dandruff shampoo helped in treating my jock itch.

Comment from: Word, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: October 08

The simple solution worked for me for jock itch. I change underwear several times per day. In my case, I believe perspiration and/or a few drops of leaked urine caused the problem. It was worse at night. I found this solution after trying all the over the counter products (which did not work).

Comment from: Engineering student, 19-24 Male (Patient) Published: August 28

I tried many creams and ointments for jock itch and when it got severe I consulted a dermatologist and skin specialist. He gave me sertaconazole nitrate cream and finally after applying it for two months twice a day I won the war against it.

Comment from: Vola, 25-34 (Patient) Published: July 30

I had jock itch for a couple weeks and it didn't matter what cream or ointment I used. The itch was just unbearable. So I tried baking soda. Just baking soda to wherever the itch was, and I left baking soda on me overnight. The itch stopped spreading. I used baking soda and hand soap without cleaning with water until the point that my skin started to peel off. I used various anti-fungal cream in between baking soda treatments too, and that's how I got rid of jock itch in one week. It took another 2 weeks for my skin to recover, but it worked in the end.

Comment from: Cured, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: July 07

For four months I suffered like many of you here. Everything 'down there' itched and I saw my general physician and two different dermatologists, with no remedy. I tried all the creams and diets, etc. In an effort to make sure my wife and mother-in-law (who lives with us) didn't catch something from me, I decided to wash my clothes separately. It was only then that I realized that my wife was filling our washing machine with a full cap of both detergent and fabric softener (instead of 1/4 inch off the bottom of the cap), which was 5-8 times more than necessary. When I looked at the directions on the bottles it was clear to me that I was sitting in soap all day (that didn't rinse out) and the detergent and fabric softener were causing the problem. I threw out all my underwear and bath towels and got some All hypoallergenic detergent. Don't fool with trying to rinse it out. Buy new underwear and bath towels. I was fine in a week. My symptoms were so similar to many of you here that I hope that you'll check into this and get some relief.

Comment from: vin, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: January 23

Brown Listerine burns but keeps the jock itch under control.

Comment from: ashmead, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: January 22

The best cure for jock itch is to use Lyderm, It really works! I do not know if it is available in USA, but I got it from Canada. Can't say if it is a prescription drug either. Hope it helps you!

Comment from: Kyra, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: January 15

I have had drenching night sweats since I was a teenager. Most nights I wake up once or twice and have to change my clothing. I sleep on thick towels and have a waterproof mattress pad. My husband sleeps in a different bed from me. My sister and brother also experience this. It's awful. I'm usually freezing cold when I wake up because I am drenched. Some nights my clothing is so soaked you could wring it out. There's never been any diagnosis for this by any doctor.

Comment from: cindy, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: July 31

i had jock itch for some years due to exercising, it gets really unbearable with the itching, recently i tried some stuff including Lamisil which just seemed to work but didn't, the rash was back 2 days after using an entire tube and it itch like hell. What is helping a great deal 1. apply a solution of vinegar and baking soda 15 minutes before bath time(really rub it into your skin) 2. blow dry the area and apply tea tree oil. 3. the next day omit the baking soda and use hydrogen peroxide a 6% solution undiluted on the area leave for 15 minutes and shower. 4. blow dry and add tea tree oil repeat alternating treatments, it works.

Jock Itch - Experience Question: Please describe your experience with jock itch.
Jock Itch - Symptoms Question: What were your jock itch symptoms and signs?
Jock Itch - Causes Question: What caused your jock itch?