Patient Comments: Jock Itch - Treatments

What treatments have been successful in treating your jock itch?

Comment from: jim, 75 or over Male (Patient) Published: February 25

I have had jock itch on and off for years. Recently, I was treated for cellulitis with an antibiotic, Keflex, and the jock itch disappeared almost immediately.

Comment from: John, Male (Patient) Published: February 20

I had this jock itch for 6 years, had tried plenty of antifungal stuff but nothing worked. My doctor advised me to mix Diprolene ointment with Canesten. It really works for me, I am still using it now sometimes if I find it necessary.

Comment from: alobarbear, 75 or over Male (Patient) Published: January 06

I have been using the inside of lemon or lime peels (my wife likes fresh lemon/lime aid) for jock itch. It works great after washing first, and she recycles the peels.

Comment from: BurningVGwentUndiagn, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: December 03

I had suffered for years from jock itch. It would flare up daily, especially after stress or anything that was strenuous. My doctor prescribed me something called 1000 cream. I may have the name off, but it worked. I'm starting to get symptoms again, but they are mild and I will try Lotrimin. I am female, and it is caused by moisture that gets trapped. So obviously weight loss helps too, for the non-jock, jock itch. My skin is super sensitive, I tried diaper rash cream, gold bond, and hemorrhoid cream. I was tested repeatedly for STDs because my ex-husband had admitted to cheating, and never understood what was causing my symptoms. I avoided sex often because of pain from this. I was embarrassed to be intimate, after divorce because I didn't know what was wrong with me. If you saw a red blistered up rash, the first thing you think is STD. Get help, tell your partner, don't sleep with others until you get it fixed because it can spread even though it isn't technically an STD. Diet matters.

Comment from: zootgeist, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: November 25

The cure for jock itch? Three words: tea tree oil. It reeks awfully but it worked almost overnight. I applied it twice a day for two days just to be sure it was gone, but I actually think two applications did it in. It is strong, so the first time I applied it I mixed 1 tsp tea tree oil with 4 tsp of coconut (or any other) oil. It worked just fine in that diluted form, but on the second day I used straight tea tree oil. People near me could smell me for a while, but I smiled and explained and figured it was worth it. I had been using Tinactin to little avail for several days before I tried the oil. And believe it or not, tea tree oil is available at Walmart.

Comment from: ls, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: November 25

Washing the area daily with Selsun Blue dandruff shampoo helped in treating my jock itch.

Comment from: Word, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: October 08

The simple solution worked for me for jock itch. I change underwear several times per day. In my case, I believe perspiration and/or a few drops of leaked urine caused the problem. It was worse at night. I found this solution after trying all the over the counter products (which did not work).

Comment from: Engineering student, 19-24 Male (Patient) Published: August 28

I tried many creams and ointments for jock itch and when it got severe I consulted a dermatologist and skin specialist. He gave me sertaconazole nitrate cream and finally after applying it for two months twice a day I won the war against it.

Jock Itch - Experience Question: Please describe your experience with jock itch.
Jock Itch - Symptoms Question: What were your jock itch symptoms and signs?
Jock Itch - Causes Question: What caused your jock itch?