- Impotence Slideshow Pictures
- Sex Drive Killers: Causes of Low Libido Slideshow
- Low Testosterone (Low T) Quiz
- Patient Comments: Jock Itch - Treatments
- Patient Comments: Jock Itch - Experience
- Patient Comments: Jock Itch - Symptoms
- Patient Comments: Jock Itch - Causes
- Find a local Dermatologist in your town
- Jock itch facts
- What is jock itch? What does jock itch look like?
- What causes jock itch?
- Who gets jock itch?
- What are jock itch symptoms and signs?
- Does jock itch affect the entire body?
- How is jock itch diagnosed?
- Which physicians diagnose and treat jock itch?
- Is jock itch curable? Is jock itch contagious?
- What are possible complications of jock itch?
- What is the treatment for jock itch?
- What home remedy can I use for jock itch?
- What holistic jock itch treatments are available?
- How do I treat fungal jock itch?
- How do I treat bacterial jock itch?
- How is itching from jock itch treated?
- What is the best drug for jock itch?
- Why is my groin still discolored?
- What is the prognosis with jock itch?
- When should someone call a doctor about jock itch?
- Is it possible to prevent jock itch?
Quick GuideMen's Health: Dealing With Body Odor, Sweating, Back Hair and More
What is the treatment for jock itch?
There are many treatment options and skin-care recipes for treating jock itch. Since the two primary causes of jock itch are excess moisture and fungal infections, treatment depends on the exact cause of the jock itch. Treatment of jock itch associated with skin irritation and excess moisture should address general measures to keep the groin clean and dry along with the use of zinc oxide ointment. Treatment of fungal jock itch should include antifungal creams used continuously for two to four weeks.
It is important to keep in mind that no therapy is uniformly effective in all people.
What home remedy can I use for jock itch?
Home remedy for mild jock itch includes the following:
- Wash the groin skin two to three times a day.
- Keep the groin area dry.
- Avoid excess groin skin irritation by wearing 100% cotton underwear.
- Avoid fabric softeners, bleaches, or harsh laundry detergents.
- Apply a mix of over-the-counter hydrocortisone cream and clotrimazole (Lotrimin, Mycelex) cream one to two times a day to the affected area and covering this liberally with zinc oxide ointment.
What holistic jock itch treatments are available?
Holistic (nonmedicated) home remedy options for jock itch include
- soaking the affected area daily with a washcloth dipped in dilute white vinegar (1 part vinegar to 4 parts of water) and drying the skin; and
- soaking in a bathtub daily or every other day with very dilute Clorox bleach (1 quarter cup of Clorox bleach in a bathtub full of water) and drying the skin.